Finding a drill for household tasks and diy

Posted 22nd Sep
I'm looking for a drill for things like building furniture but lots of DIY I seem to be into nowadays.
Eg I have a IKEA table top (it's not actual wood right?) and my own foldable table legs. The IKEA table top has one hole but the others are not aligned correctly so I have no idea what I need to pre drill holes for the screws.
Another thing I want to use it for is to make holes in plant pots whether it's real clay/terracotta pots, plastic, wood etc. as many nice plant pots do not have a drainage hole.
Also putting up curtains which my husband has done before and that was with an electric screwdriver but we borrowed it from someone.
If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Depends a lot on how much you want to spend took at 18 volt or 24 ,once you have decided have a look at screwfix,tool station,B&q as the all have offers going on try before you buy as some cordless drill are Heavy
Go with something corded that has veritable speed, so can be used as a screwdriver, cordless always seem to be low on battery when you're in a hurry!
This looks decent and it has hammer action too
screwfix.com/p/m…4gf
Perhaps an extension lead while your there too
Ok, if you are only going to be using it for fairly light DIY use such as putting a few holes in some Ikea furniture, plasterboard, and plant pots then you don't need anything too heavy duty. What sort of budget are you wanting to spend on it? It sounds like you could just use something like the £30 Worx cordless 18v hammer drill deal that was posted here yesterday (but is now unavailable) would have been fine for you. Maybe the Einhell 18v cordless drill for with two batteries for £50 at Toolstation would be a good one to go for.

hotukdeals.com/dea…658
esar22/09/2019 20:45

Go with something corded that has veritable speed, so can be used as a …Go with something corded that has veritable speed, so can be used as a screwdriver, cordless always seem to be low on battery when you're in a hurry!This looks decent and it has hammer action toohttps://www.screwfix.com/p/mac-allister-mshd600-600w-electric-impact-drill-240v/294gfPerhaps an extension lead while your there too

I'm not really sure that a corded drill would be best for the OP. If they are drilling plant pots then they might be better served by something cordless that they can just take out on the garden with them without having to worry about extension cables. The Einhell drill that I posted above has two batteries so having no juice when you need it shouldn't be so much of a problem, rthough I can see where you are coming from with regards to an occasional drill user.
Thank you for your replies.
My garden work area is near a plug so cords are fine.
Would I not need drill bits to make holes?
Also hoping to make things for the kids like a mud kitchen or some sort of play house (wooden).
SilverViking22/09/2019 21:31

Thank you for your replies. My garden work area is near a plug so cords …Thank you for your replies. My garden work area is near a plug so cords are fine.

I don't think corded drills are suitable for driving screws in even with variable.drill speeds unless something has changed recently in drill technology, if you are drilling in wood mainly a cordless screwdriver should be fine if you need to drill in masonry or concrete then you will Ideally need a corded drill and get a SDS type drill if you decide buy one aswell they are much better than normal ones.

Also you could go for a impact drill which I suppose maybe better than a normal cordless drill unless you are putting stuff in plasterboards etc it will be better as it saves your arms and reduced risk of breaking your wrist if you need put big screws in.
I have had a Dewalt cordless with 2 batteries for 4 years now, i started as an notice diy’er and now i’m building and landscaping my property to a decent standard. I have probably required a corded drill twice in that time. It still works great now and with 2 batteries you always have one ready and charged.

screwfix.com/p/d…BwE
OP, it is somewhat concerning that from your statement "would I not need drill bits to drill holes" ...please don't use a corded drill without instruction & practise!

NB plenty of instructional vids...
Learn about pilot holes, hammer action, leaning into the drill.

For plant pots (material dependant) its likely a 18 volt cordless will suffice (with a good bit) ..slower speeds via torque settings!.
For heavy material (bricks etc) you need a corded drill & a variety of bits for those materials (a sealed go to set is advisable) for Wood, stone, metal, (all different tip types).

It's fine to say "putting up some curtains"(brackets presumably) but the material you are trying to bond to needs consideration & very few battery drills of the cheap bracket have the geared oomph & voltage to drill the hard stuff.

For ikea jobs a regular 14v / 18v battery drill will suffice in the main, however buy a ratchet screwdriver set as well! (very handy for initial gentle screw starting, & don't drill full bore with anything go slowly lest you chew the "wood" up & need to then infill it with matchstick splints & pva glue.

Pilot holes will require thin delicate bits, if not needed in a hurry then ebay from china / ali express.
instructional videos on you tube, take your time! ..& teach someone else what you learn, don't leave someone else (kids for example) in your current situation. ..share skills!
Realistically, if you have one corded (500 / 600 watt with hammer action) AND a decent li-ion 14 / 18volt battery drill, you are well kitted out for most eventualities.
(eg a tall billy bookcase,that is then anchored to the wall stud or straight into brickwork to prevent toppling).
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 23rd Sep
OP, mixed drill set (all in one box just put up by hukd member)
amazon.co.uk/gp/…QF2

Cheap Decent brand ratchet screwdriver (3 positions) hotukdeals.com/dea…606

& as I seem to say weekly there are always good deals on Bosch 18v cordless drills at around £59 with 2 batteries at least twice per year on amazn, & occasionally at homebase, b&q etc ..set an alert if you don't need it imminently.
Thank you for your replies! I'll set up an alert too.
Mr Gus thanks for the warning about corded drills and drilling holes. Probably want thinking when I was typing but I will make sure I am being safe before doing any DIY.
Although I will start with simple tasks, I do want to be able to be familiar with drills eventually and teach my children. Actually they are the reason why I'm looking as I'm making a work space for them and do not like anything in the shops so I've been trying to make something that goes with our minimalistic and small space hence using folding table legs. The holes are in the wrong place in the IKEA table top which is not real wood though.
You could always start by putting a nice top on a pre-existing table frame (for instance).

If teaching small kids, (I repeatedly recommend for pilot holes & the likes a dremel drill with an upgraded chuck).

Also if teaching kids make sure you have everything for one job in one go (planning), & a small raised step for them to use if doing "wall stuff" they don't have the core strength to push weight behind drills, but that does not mean they cannot learn everything to that point & have assistance with the big drill from behind (another pair of hands).
Sharpie pens, pencil, strasight line rulers, Ear defenders, protective glasses, no loose gloves / clothing / hair. etc
Measure 2x get any kid to measure twice with you, & explain even little jobs are best done in pairs regardless of how little a kid thinks they may be contributing! point out where the "nearby assistance" is really handy, TEA & whatever they are drinking is at hand (for concentration).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants