Finding food served in school lunches during early 2000s

9 replies
Found 14th Oct 2016
I remember being served these amazing tasting processed turkey burgers in buns in my middle school around 2000-2002 and can't think where I might be able to buy them from or if they are even made/sold any longer!

They were not bread crumbed or anything, just a plain processed turkey burger served in a plain bun. School was in the North East and I'd imagine they were sold before/after those years up until the school burnt down (unrelated to burgers!).

Anyone else remember eating them?

9 Comments

MuscleFood do turkey burgers, doubt they're school meals quality. X)

They sound rank . Are they like those dreadful things you microwave ?

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

They sound rank . Are they like those dreadful things you microwave ?

I've no idea, we were served them for school lunch - school food was the best!

Having had a look around i'm thinking maybe Bernard Matthews could have supplied them, as they are quite popular with turkey products and according to this 2003 pdf they supplied schools with some foods!

http://www.foodforlife.org.uk/~/media/files/policyreports/food_for_life_report_2003.pdf

But honestly, they tasted amazing.

PenguinsForAll

I've no idea, we were served them for school lunch - school food was the … I've no idea, we were served them for school lunch - school food was the best!Having had a look around i'm thinking maybe Bernard Matthews could have supplied them, as they are quite popular with turkey products and according to this 2003 pdf they supplied schools with some foods!http://www.foodforlife.org.uk/~/media/files/policyreports/food_for_life_report_2003.pdfBut honestly, they tasted amazing.

Sounds like a good place to start . Good luck with your search

I didn't have turkey burgers....but I did have turkey twizzlers with deep fried mini potato waffles.....the good old days.....my son had a salad from the salad bar and grilled salmon in school for lunch today!! yuk!!

PenguinsForAll

I've no idea, we were served them for school lunch - school food was the … I've no idea, we were served them for school lunch - school food was the best!Having had a look around i'm thinking maybe Bernard Matthews could have supplied them, as they are quite popular with turkey products and according to this 2003 pdf they supplied schools with some foods!http://www.foodforlife.org.uk/~/media/files/policyreports/food_for_life_report_2003.pdfBut honestly, they tasted amazing.

Can't comment on Mainland UK but here in N.Ireland each local school board (more or less by counties here) tendered for their own suppliers. During the tendering process they provided the list of the exact products they wanted supplied with. This was different across each board although some boards did "club together" to try and get a better deal. I worked in the firm who won the contracts most years and here in N.Ireland as you rightfully have said all Turkey products where BM branded across all the boards. Mind you they where daft we did have a supply issue with chicken nuggets once and we supplied them all with far higher quality nuggets at almost twice the price taking the hit on that ourselves. They nearly all returned them and complained that they could not accept these as the board had not tested them for nutritional value. Like really these where actually real chicken lol.
Now most of the BM branded (and mostly any of the food) where all catering only packs that you cannot buy in supermarkets etc but possibly in cash and carry's and such. From memory the only BM catering pack that was the same as consumer packs where the BM Turkey Drummers.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 14th Oct 2016

We used to have a chocolate sponge tray bake dessert served hot with custard, it was quite heavy. Never seen it since but if I had a last meal request that would be on it for sure.
Hope you find your burger!!

tommyleinen

We used to have a chocolate sponge tray bake dessert served hot with … We used to have a chocolate sponge tray bake dessert served hot with custard, it was quite heavy. Never seen it since but if I had a last meal request that would be on it for sure. Hope you find your burger!!

We had something similar but served with caramel custard.yum, yum.

I should add it wasn't in the 2000s. X)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. word association Game74244871
    2. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322826
    3. Misco about to go into administration912
    4. Add one, leave one game54315392

See more discussions