Fire HD Tablets are they worth it?

Posted 30th May
I'm looking at getting the new 8 HD Plus one when it comes out. Mainly just for watching YouTube and browsing the Web. Do they slow down over time?
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
No and yes
I've got the 2019 fire 8 happy with mine.
Do they slow down over time? Well yes, because you start filling it up, however if you bought a brand new 5 year old tablet of any sort it may struggle. Apps get more demanding, operating systems change requiring bigger, faster processors and more of them. So it will seem fast to start with the same as any computer but will slow down eventually - the same as any computer.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 30th May
Ringfinger30/05/2020 18:50

Do they slow down over time? Well yes, because you start filling it up, …Do they slow down over time? Well yes, because you start filling it up, however if you bought a brand new 5 year old tablet of any sort it may struggle. Apps get more demanding, operating systems change requiring bigger, faster processors and more of them. So it will seem fast to start with the same as any computer but will slow down eventually - the same as any computer.

Yes it seems anything you buy nowadays gets slower whatever you spend.
As I parent I was more frustrated with them over time.

You can side load playstore etc but Amazon's bloatware of apps and onscreen ads wasting the battery.
HotUKDealsHobo30/05/2020 22:10

As I parent I was more frustrated with them over time.You can side load …As I parent I was more frustrated with them over time.You can side load playstore etc but Amazon's bloatware of apps and onscreen ads wasting the battery.

I used a tool from XDA to remove special offers and have nova launcher as default few months back but they've patched that in recent updates.

Those home screen Ads are annoying

But for £50 (Fire Tab7) it runs YouTube Vanced so all good I guess.
If your prime yes. For kids to throw about yes. For general internet yes.
After I paid Amazon £10 to remove its promotions my Fire 8" performs better and can stop/start music from lock screen now. I added a big fast SD to it as well which Amazons version of Android seems to make good use of. Regular updates too. Yes you'll need to put the Google Play app on it or the app choices would be pants. If a future model gets a fingerprint reader I'd consider getting a 10" for reading the paper on.
Post a comment
@
    Text