Fire stick or Android box for Kodi

Found 6th Jan 2016
Hey everyone I need a bit of advice, I really want to get either a fire stick or Android box but I don't know which one to get. Is there any recommendations for Android boxes at all? Thanks!
Community Updates
38 Comments
Nvidia shield, spend the money, you won't be disappointed. I've gone from Apple TV, fire stick, chrome box, fire box (Kodi isn't 4K on it), Windows PC and finally the shield. Easily the best box by far had no problems running it no errors and it's fast.
Nvidia shield, spend the money, you won't be disappointed. I've gone from Apple TV, fire stick, chrome box, fire box (Kodi isn't 4K on it), Windows PC and finally the shield. Easily the best box by far had no problems running it no errors and it's fast.
Original Poster
But the shield is quite a lot of money though! I'm looking on budget range since money is a little tight
I have the Amazon 4k box and kodi works a treat on it. the shield is good for games but apart from that no different from the Amazon box in what it can do...
firestick is fine as long as you have decent broadband
Don't bother with a Fire stick they freeze too much (I'm going to sell mine on eBay). You should buy an Amlogic with the new S905 chip gearbest.com/tv-…d=1 (I'm using one right now and it's a lot better than the fire stick). I've just ordered the 2GB/16GB M18 version gearbest.com/tv-…tml so go for that if you want to pay the extra.
I have the standard firestick with kodi working lovely, I installed tvaddons from fusion and it has everything and more
RiverDragon8

Don't bother with a Fire stick they freeze too much (I'm going to sell … Don't bother with a Fire stick they freeze too much (I'm going to sell mine on eBay). You should buy an Amlogic with the new S905 chip http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_258634.html?wid=1 (I'm using one right now and it's a lot better than the fire stick). I've just ordered the 2GB/16GB M18 version http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_282313.html so go for that if you want to pay the extra.

My FTV stick has never frozen and plays Kodi perfect. Though the S905 chip is way better than the S8 series ones.

adecoyseast

I have the Amazon 4k box and kodi works a treat on it. the shield is … I have the Amazon 4k box and kodi works a treat on it. the shield is good for games but apart from that no different from the Amazon box in what it can do...

Would totally disagree but at the same time the shield is not a worthwhile investment for people not looking to spend alot. But if you where thinking of FTV and a FTV controller then you better value going for the more powerful Shield.
Here is one example FTV does not work directly with those who make Kodi but Shield do to ensure stability.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 7th Jan 2016
If you try installing Chris b's the beast it will freeze up so it not recommend
RiverDragon8

Don't bother with a Fire stick they freeze too much (I'm going to sell … Don't bother with a Fire stick they freeze too much (I'm going to sell mine on eBay). You should buy an Amlogic with the new S905 chip http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_258634.html?wid=1 (I'm using one right now and it's a lot better than the fire stick). I've just ordered the 2GB/16GB M18 version http://www.gearbest.com/tv-box-mini-pc/pp_282313.html so go for that if you want to pay the extra.

adecoyseast

I have the Amazon 4k box and kodi works a treat on it. the shield is … I have the Amazon 4k box and kodi works a treat on it. the shield is good for games but apart from that no different from the Amazon box in what it can do...

RiverDragon8

adecoyseast

Freezing is a common problem with the Fire Stick, you saying you never experienced it with yours i find very hard to believe so much in fact either don't own one or your in denial.
cecilmcroberts

My FTV stick has never frozen and plays Kodi perfect. Though the S905 … My FTV stick has never frozen and plays Kodi perfect. Though the S905 chip is way better than the S8 series ones. Would totally disagree but at the same time the shield is not a worthwhile investment for people not looking to spend alot. But if you where thinking of FTV and a FTV controller then you better value going for the more powerful Shield. Here is one example FTV does not work directly with those who make Kodi but Shield do to ensure stability.

A Raspberry pi 2 if your not bothered a out 4k and just want 1080p £30 = Kodi job done well even support your current TV remote more that likely or if you want 4k pick yourself up a android box with a A33 chip for about £40 then your laughing, I myself have a pi 2 and nvidia shield, the shield is great for kodi the beast 1.4.1 at 4k and very simple to install where as a normal Android box you may find it abit tricking doing it yourself and at somepoint you will have to install kodi yourself with an update to keep the box running with that said it is also true for all 3 different types of boxes, I like the pi 2 and if they bring out a pi 3 with hdmi 2.0 I will be all over it
Android s905 box is far superior to Amazon products and cheaper

No having to sideload kodi etc
sharooney

If you try installing Chris b's the beast it will freeze up so it not … If you try installing Chris b's the beast it will freeze up so it not recommend

chris b will install but long winded way - 1st load "black box" once loaded go to setting and then ares packages - and chosse from there - there will be other likes stars wars and other that are rubbish
chazdcfc

Nvidia shield, spend the money, you won't be disappointed. I've gone from … Nvidia shield, spend the money, you won't be disappointed. I've gone from Apple TV, fire stick, chrome box, fire box (Kodi isn't 4K on it), Windows PC and finally the shield. Easily the best box by far had no problems running it no errors and it's fast.

I would second this, it blows any other Android box out of the water.

It replaced my Minix X8-H Plus & is easily 10x the box.
Just seen your post on wanting it cheap.

Chocci's suggestion is the best for a cheap box & way better than the Amazon offerings. The free Kodi stuff is crap though tbh, you want a Plex account & a £3 per month server.
adecoyseast

It can play Kodi in 4K, Amazon Fire box is limited to Netflex and prime
RiverDragon8

adecoyseast

RiverDragon8

adecoyseast

I was using a FTV stick from launch (who couldn't resist £19!) on my main telly although never really used anything but Kodi on it. Got good WIFI at home and 60-65 the stick speed tests at on the 5gHz band. I keep Kodi upto date with the latest versions and blackboxostv latest builds also and firestarter as launcher. Never had the stick freeze on me. Although never really used it for much else than Kodi.Though its now been moved to 2nd telly and Shield on main telly. Also have an M8S box for 3rd telly.
mushraf2011

chris b will install but long winded way - 1st load "black box" once … chris b will install but long winded way - 1st load "black box" once loaded go to setting and then ares packages - and chosse from there - there will be other likes stars wars and other that are rubbish

Nothing long winded installs fine this way 5-10minutes. Though personally prefer Blackboxostv anyhow.
github.com/sph…%29
seo-michael.co.uk/the…di/
my firestick must be a dud as well as it never freezes may have to complain to amazon
cecilmcroberts

Nothing long winded installs fine this way 5-10minutes. Though personally … Nothing long winded installs fine this way 5-10minutes. Though personally prefer Blackboxostv anyhow. https://github.com/sphinx02/FireStarter/wiki/Install-FireStarter-and-Kodi-%28only-FireTV-needed%29https://seo-michael.co.uk/the-beast-build-for-kodi/

I see what you are saying - i did try the es exploer but found that runs a bit slow - would alway recommend the ADB file download process - and there are two chris b file that you can download from the file servers
Firestick works for me. No problems, no freezing, HD content through Kodi is fine too.

Just make sure it's close enough to your wi-fi.
RiverDragon8

That looks very good, what else do you need to run kodi
mushraf2011

I see what you are saying - i did try the es exploer but found that runs … I see what you are saying - i did try the es exploer but found that runs a bit slow - would alway recommend the ADB file download process - and there are two chris b file that you can download from the file servers

I was doing a stick for my sister the other week and forgot where that link was! Followed a different guide of the internet which used a different address inside ES and gave up it was taking so long! She doesn't have a PC atm ( I know I know should have told her to bring the stick to my house!) so couldn't use the ADB method then I found the link again on my mobile and it flew through it. Maybe you had same issue with slow server?
chazdcfc

​Di
chazdcfc

​Firstly I never said it can and it's my opinion. I don't ever have problems with Kodi playing.
RiverDragon8

Can you let me know what the total cost was for the Beelink M18 TV Box Android 5.1 2GB/16GB when it arrives?

I see it postage is free, VAT is 20%, the post office hammer us with a £8.00 fee so we can pay the taxes!
I have only ordered items under £15,00 from Gearbest, so this info would help me decide where to buy one from.
Thanks
Smosekum

Can you let me know what the total cost was for the Beelink M18 TV Box … Can you let me know what the total cost was for the Beelink M18 TV Box Android 5.1 2GB/16GB when it arrives?I see it postage is free, VAT is 20%, the post office hammer us with a £8.00 fee so we can pay the taxes!I have only ordered items under £15,00 from Gearbest, so this info would help me decide where to buy one from.Thanks

You only pay the price Gearbest advertise for and nothing else.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 29th Jan 2016
RiverDragon8

You only pay the price Gearbest advertise for and nothing else.

Thank you,
Guess they must have a UK warehouse or something, great!
Smosekum

Thank you,Guess they must have a UK warehouse or something, great!

no, they have a european one but not all products are delivered from there. You may get charged VAT, import duty and collection fee if it comes from china

both the above products will be shipped from China so pot luck whether you get charged extra
Edited by: "chocci" 30th Jan 2016
chocci

no, they have a european one but not all products are delivered from … no, they have a european one but not all products are delivered from there. You may get charged VAT, import duty and collection fee if it comes from chinaboth the above products will be shipped from China so pot luck whether you get charged extra

Thanks, An EU based warehouse sounds like a good strategy.

RiverDragon8 reports that no VAT and no Post Office/Handler fees were due, HMRC are hot on everything VAT exceeding £15.
In the past with another supplier HMRC valued my item at £15.05 because HMRC's exchange rate altered; I paid VAT and handler fees, so I paid something like £23.01 in total.
I don't think this is pot luck with Gearbest deliveries, HMRC look at all Import decelerations.
Smosekum

Thanks, An EU based warehouse sounds like a good strategy.RiverDragon8 … Thanks, An EU based warehouse sounds like a good strategy.RiverDragon8 reports that no VAT and no Post Office/Handler fees were due, HMRC are hot on everything VAT exceeding £15.In the past with another supplier HMRC valued my item at £15.05 because HMRC's exchange rate altered; I paid VAT and handler fees, so I paid something like £23.01 in total.I don't think this is pot luck with Gearbest deliveries, HMRC look at all Import decelerations.

of course its pot luck. No way do HMRC look at every parcel that comes off a container ship. You;ll probably be ok but its not 100%

T&Cs

There's usually no reason to worry because:

GearBest provides all the necessary paperwork for your shipment;
In most countries it's pretty easy to import most kinds of consumer electronics;
The actual process of customs clearance is usually handled completely by the delivery company (e.g. UPS, FedEx, DHL);
If there is any duty (import tax) or other charges to pay, the courier will usually pay it first and deliver the products to you, and you pay the costs later. Click here for more information about import taxes.

If there is a question about your delivery:

Sometimes you may need to provide information to your local Customs office about the shipment you are receiving. Sometimes they will need you to provide an invoice matching the invoice that accompanies the goods. In these cases please contact us immediately and we will provide you with a PDF of the shipping invoice.
Sometimes the products need to be backed up with some kind of licence or certificate. In these cases, we are generally notified by the courier and we will handle it for you. If Customs contacts you about this, please let us know first and we will help you.

Customs Liability

If, for any reason, the products cannot be delivered to you due to a Customs problem, we will discuss with you case by case about how best to handle the issue(s).
If goods are seized or turned back because of an issue that was Gearbest's fault, e.g. incorrect paperwork, we will re-send the goods at our own expense, or offer you full store credit for a new order.
If goods cannot be delivered due to restrictions in your own country, this is solely your responsibility. For example, if you decided to try to import an Android phone, but this technology is illegal or restricted due to local laws in the delivery destination country, that is your responsibility to know about before you order from GearBest. If the delivery failed for that reason, we cannot offer any compensation, because as the importer it's your job to know about the local regulations. Another situation in which you must accept liability is where your country requires you to have a licence to import commercial goods: in this case, it is your responsibility to know about this before you place an order on GearBest, and in the case of a failed delivery, we cannot offer any compensation.
As the importer you hold sole legal responsibility for responding to questions about imported goods delivered to yourself. Import duties, sales tax, and any other customs charges and fees, are your sole responsibility, as described in our terms and conditions. If a delivery fails because you do not respond in time to Customs communications, or you refuse to pay the applicable charges, we cannot offer any compensation.

Edited by: "chocci" 30th Jan 2016
chocci

of course its pot luck. No way do HMRC look at every parcel that comes … of course its pot luck. No way do HMRC look at every parcel that comes off a container ship. You;ll probably be ok but its not 100%T&CsThere's usually no reason to worry because: GearBest provides all the necessary paperwork for your shipment; In most countries it's pretty easy to import most kinds of consumer electronics; The actual process of customs clearance is usually handled completely by the delivery company (e.g. UPS, FedEx, DHL); If there is any duty (import tax) or other charges to pay, the courier will usually pay it first and deliver the products to you, and you pay the costs later. Click here for more information about import taxes.If there is a question about your delivery: Sometimes you may need to provide information to your local Customs office about the shipment you are receiving. Sometimes they will need you to provide an invoice matching the invoice that accompanies the goods. In these cases please contact us immediately and we will provide you with a PDF of the shipping invoice. Sometimes the products need to be backed up with some kind of licence or certificate. In these cases, we are generally notified by the courier and we will handle it for you. If Customs contacts you about this, please let us know first and we will help you.Customs Liability If, for any reason, the products cannot be delivered to you due to a Customs problem, we will discuss with you case by case about how best to handle the issue(s). If goods are seized or turned back because of an issue that was Gearbest's fault, e.g. incorrect paperwork, we will re-send the goods at our own expense, or offer you full store credit for a new order. If goods cannot be delivered due to restrictions in your own country, this is solely your responsibility. For example, if you decided to try to import an Android phone, but this technology is illegal or restricted due to local laws in the delivery destination country, that is your responsibility to know about before you order from GearBest. If the delivery failed for that reason, we cannot offer any compensation, because as the importer it's your job to know about the local regulations. Another situation in which you must accept liability is where your country requires you to have a licence to import commercial goods: in this case, it is your responsibility to know about this before you place an order on GearBest, and in the case of a failed delivery, we cannot offer any compensation.As the importer you hold sole legal responsibility for responding to questions about imported goods delivered to yourself. Import duties, sales tax, and any other customs charges and fees, are your sole responsibility, as described in our terms and conditions. If a delivery fails because you do not respond in time to Customs communications, or you refuse to pay the applicable charges, we cannot offer any compensation.

Thanks,
Gearbest doesn't seem like such a great idea now, especially if payment of VAT and handling fee is pot luck.
This means that items over £15.00, may, or may not be 'VAT + £8.00 handling fee'.
The price of the items seems like pot luck now.

I wonder why items over £15.00 from Gearbest are advertised here @ HUKD as the price on the site, surely we have to include VAT and handling fee in any HUKD post now from Gearbest, otherwise we don't know if the deal is great, good or bad compared to other retailers?
Or am I not understanding something?
Smosekum

Thanks,Gearbest doesn't seem like such a great idea now, especially if … Thanks,Gearbest doesn't seem like such a great idea now, especially if payment of VAT and handling fee is pot luck.This means that items over £15.00, may, or may not be 'VAT + £8.00 handling fee'.The price of the items seems like pot luck now.I wonder why items over £15.00 from Gearbest are advertised here @ HUKD as the price on the site, surely we have to include VAT and handling fee in any HUKD post now from Gearbest, otherwise we don't know if the deal is great, good or bad compared to other retailers?Or am I not understanding something?

Probably because most people will get away without being charged HMRC fees, but it does happen to some.
Original Poster
I finally went for the fire stick! Won't have time to mess around with it until later in the week!
I've bought over 20 items from China and have never been charged anything extra. Gearbest and others will always send things through customs stating a lower value ($20 in this case). Some will send as a 'gift' or 'measuring device' etc valued at a much lower amount. Stop worrying and just order it.
http://i64.tinypic.com/15cdfyf.jpg
RiverDragon8

Thank you, clarified!
I use husham wizard and works fine make sure fire stick is not by radiator as over heats
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions