Found 21st Nov 2008
HELP

Can anyone help me please?

My firefox has crashed on me and wont open. I don't want to loose all my bookmarks. Is there anyway I can access them/save them before removing firefox and re-installing?

Many thanks
Kaz

1. Misc
  2. Firefox
15 Comments

right click on task bar, click task manager, processes tab and end firefox.exe and try again.

Original Poster

I have just checked in the task processes and the firefox.exe is not running

Get Firefox 3 downloaded and re-install - It will get all of the info from the same backup location of any other Firefox installations so your bookmarks n stuff will be transferred across to the working version.

Happy Days :thumbsup:

Yeah, just re-install over it and it'll keep bookmarks, settings etc.
If you want a clean install you can do the above then export bookmarks etc. Then uninstall and re-install.

Original Poster

LittleBJ;3523450

Get Firefox 3 downloaded and re-install - It will get all of the info … Get Firefox 3 downloaded and re-install - It will get all of the info from the same backup location of any other Firefox installations so your bookmarks n stuff will be transferred across to the working version.Happy Days :thumbsup:

Sorry to sound thick. Do I need to uninistall the one on my computer first before re downloading it?

Even if you uninstall Firefox, I doubt that your bookmarks will be removed, they are left in a folder just in case you do reinstall the browser.

Original Poster

Boylin;3523465

Yeah, just re-install over it and it'll keep bookmarks, settings etc.If … Yeah, just re-install over it and it'll keep bookmarks, settings etc.If you want a clean install you can do the above then export bookmarks etc. Then uninstall and re-install.

Thatt answered my question.

Thanks for all your help

Ahem... Rep for the fast reply :whistling:

Just happy to help another w3c compliant browser user:thumbsup:

Bookmarks are kept in a backup file on your machine should be something like

C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tuhfmk7t.default\bookmarkbackups\bookmarks-2008-11-20.json

The .json is a backup file. Copy this and if everything else fails on a restore, just copy this file into the re-installed directory and all your bookmarks should appear again.

Copying this files also ensures if like me you get a bit clicky on installs and miss something, you have a safe copy to use.

Original Poster

LittleBJ;3523522

Ahem... Rep for the fast reply :whistling:Just happy to help another w3c … Ahem... Rep for the fast reply :whistling:Just happy to help another w3c compliant browser user:thumbsup:

Rep you if it works LOL

Thanks everyone

Banned

and make sure you add the FOXMARKS add-on

this keeps a backup of your favourites (updated daily automatically).

you can even access your bookmarks online anywhere in the world

Original Poster

BATTY_1;3523526

Bookmarks are kept in a backup file on your machine should be something … Bookmarks are kept in a backup file on your machine should be something likeC:\Documents and Settings\"your user name"\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\tuhfmk7t.default\bookmarkbackups\bookmarks-2008-11-20.jsonThe .json is a backup file. Copy this and if everything else fails on a restore, just copy this file into the re-installed directory and all your bookmarks should appear again.Copying this files also ensures if like me you get a bit clicky on installs and miss something, you have a safe copy to use.

It didn't work, so will try your idea. I have found the profile folder when I click on it, its called j7n60gtz folder, I click on that I get bookmarkbackups and when i click on that I get 6 files all ending 2008-11-20.json. Do I have to copy each one? and where should I copy them to?

Sorry for all questions but I am not very good with computers:)

Sorry Hun - I'm strictly a Mac only user atm. :oops:
Try pm 'ing Batty_1 looks like they've got something better to do.

Original Poster

LittleBJ;3523888

Sorry Hun - I'm strictly a Mac only user atm. :oops:Try pm 'ing Batty_1 … Sorry Hun - I'm strictly a Mac only user atm. :oops:Try pm 'ing Batty_1 looks like they've got something better to do.

Aww Thankyou anyway:)

I had to completely delete the bookmarks. Each time I tried to re-install from scratch it still crashed.
So gave up and deleted everything and hey presto is running fine again.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition51460
    2. Magazine competitions - Issue 42 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1515
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums11
    4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!11

See more discussions