Groups

Fireplace/surround

Hey thar,
    Looking for a fireplace and surround for my mums birthday, we have this horrid 70s one at the moment and it's not going to look snazzy with my new flooring (which I have yet to lay!) does anyone know of any decent places, preferably cheap. I've checked the likes of b&q, home base and so on... just want to widen my scope!

Also, if I have a gas fireplace installed at the moment, which would be the cheapest to replace it with? gas or electric? in relation to fitting costs... not a clue how much as I haven't got any installation quotes yet, though I do know a friend who is able to fit electric ones as he's fully qualified and so on and would probably do it a cheaper rate...

Thankya!

5 Comments

i would suggest picking a decent surround only,then going to a marble/granite workshop and getting them to cut you a back panel and hearth to suit the surround dimensions.

the back panel can be fixed to a 3/4 inch plywood using some no nails adhesive(obviously the plywood being securely fixed to the wall 1st)

i got mine my doing the above and it looks like the dog's gonads,,much better than the rubbish in the shops you mentioned:thumbsup:

as for the electric fire it just plugs in!:thumbsup:

CAUTION: real marble is heavy as fluck:thumbsup:

Original Poster

transit;5714638

i would suggest picking a decent surround only,then going to a … i would suggest picking a decent surround only,then going to a marble/granite workshop and getting them to cut you a back panel and hearth to suit the surround dimensions.the back panel can be fixed to a 3/4 inch plywood using some no nails adhesive(obviously the plywood being securely fixed to the wall 1st)i got mine my doing the above and it looks like the dog's gonads,,much better than the rubbish in the shops you mentioned:thumbsup:as for the electric fire it just plugs in!:thumbsup:CAUTION: real marble is heavy as fluck:thumbsup:

That sounds expensive! How much did it cost for the marble or granite? Do all electric fireplaces plug in? I've never seen a cord from them! lol After reading it seems like gas would be a cheaper option, especially with us already having a gas fire atm.

We had a gas fire which never got switched on - the fireplace was/is just a focal point of the room - central heating does the heating. We replaced ours with an electric fire which saves the cost of getting the gas fire serviced/checked each year. Electric fire just plugs in but I've hidden the cable behind the skirting board.....

krato;5715119

That sounds expensive! How much did it cost for the marble or granite? Do … That sounds expensive! How much did it cost for the marble or granite? Do all electric fireplaces plug in? I've never seen a cord from them! lol After reading it seems like gas would be a cheaper option, especially with us already having a gas fire atm.

i've probably not given you the best advice,,my marble was cut to size and delivered foc from someone who i did some work for foc.
    but honestly it does look better than anything ive seen in the shops

as for the electric fires,,the flex and plug are at the concealed at the back of the surround,,it can be plugged in or connected to a 13amp fused spur,obviously a single 13amp socket or fused spur is best located very near to the surround so to hide the unsightly cable:thumbsup:

Original Poster

Thanks for replies! And yeah I agree, we don't use the fire that much maybe sometimes in winter instead of heating the whole house and we just want the living room warm in the evening. If I was to replace the fireplace i'd have to have it disconnected so I guess having a gas one wouldn't be too much of a problem connecting it anyway! I'll keep on a look out for some =]
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions