Firestick Apple TV or Roku advice

Posted 23rd Oct
Morning everyone,
Please can you help me with the following.
I am after a streaming device which will allow Disney Life or the Disney streaming app to be played.
I have a early Firestick which is very slow but looking online it seems it will no longer be supported by Disney next month.

The Apple TV is also quite dated don’t want to buy one and then find it is replaced quickly as it is the most costly.
This leaves me with Roku - are these any good?
We subscribe to Netflix, have prime and also Disney.
Thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
A newer fire stick?
The firsetick 4k version is so much faster and better than the non 4k version.
It seems you are correct about Disney not being available on the firestick . They have had a disagreement on the ads. It's likely they will resolve this as Disney can't really afford to loose firsetick customer base as it's huge.
Which TV do you have. If it's a smart android based one than it should be available via your TV.
Black Friday is near and expect the 4k firestick to be reduced to £35/£40.
Roku plus is a good alternative but it's just not as flexible as the firestick and is missing catch-up apps like 4OD.
adamderak23/10/2019 08:18

The firsetick 4k version is so much faster and better than the non 4k …The firsetick 4k version is so much faster and better than the non 4k version.It seems you are correct about Disney not being available on the firestick . They have had a disagreement on the ads. It's likely they will resolve this as Disney can't really afford to loose firsetick customer base as it's huge.Which TV do you have. If it's a smart android based one than it should be available via your TV.Black Friday is near and expect the 4k firestick to be reduced to £35/£40.Roku plus is a good alternative but it's just not as flexible as the firestick and is missing catch-up apps like 4OD.

4k should go down to minimum £25 like prime day
Ps don't think it's also available on Roku
If when you say the Disney Streaming App you mean the Disney Plus service (that is available in the US and The Netherlands) it still has no official UK launch date yet or even any details about it's availability confirmed yet.
Haircut_10023/10/2019 08:43

If when you say the Disney Streaming App you mean the Disney Plus service …If when you say the Disney Streaming App you mean the Disney Plus service (that is available in the US and The Netherlands) it still has no official UK launch date yet or even any details about it's availability confirmed yet.

The UK has had the streaming service Disney Life for a couple of years already. But it doesn't have some of the newer films due to agreements with Sky so they won't relaunch as Disney+ until the Sky deal with Disney is changed.

In terms of advice to the OP, a new firestick is cheapest, but if you have a iPhone then you might find Apple TV convienient anyway being able to send to it via AirPlay as well as playing direct from Apps. Especually if you subscribe to Apple Arcade as you can play games on the Apple TV too.
Edited by: "jon81uk" 23rd Oct
There's an app called "Apps2Fire" on the Play Store, install this on your phone. If you have Disney Life installed on your phone, you'll be able to install that on the FireTV regardless of whether Amazon/Disney chooses to host the app on the Amazon store.
Personally, I'd wait till PrimeDay and grab the 4K fireStick
Not sure why you think the Apple TV 4K is dated? it gets everything right as far as video playback is concerned, switching Framerate, switching Dynamic Range.

Having said that 4K firestick is a bargain even at it's full asking price.
Firestick doesn't have now tv unless u hack it... I feel Roku is better all around device
I have a fairly recent Firestick (Not 4k) a fairly recent Roku stick (again not 4K) and an Apple TV (4K) and by far the Apple TV is the better of the devices. Great UI, the best range of apps (including Disney Life) and fantastic image output onto my 4K TV. Not to mention the great range of films which regularly go on sale from the Apple store. Having said that, it's considerably more expensive than the other 2, and for my bedroom TV the Firestick is great, but if the cost is not a big deal, I'd go Apple TV 4K.
Thank you for the comments!
I think I will wait for Black Friday and hopefully buy a fire stick and Apple TV!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants