Firestick or new TV or Roku ultra?

Posted 29th Apr
hi, I have an old TV, not smart etc, a Humax t500 Freeview box for recording, we have kind family who let us use their Netflix which we can view through the Humax. they have also just let us access their Disney plus, we connect the laptop to the TV for this.
bear with me ..
the Humax is a bit naf takes ages to go on to itv hub I player etc so I was thinking of getting a fire stick but maybe a Roku ultra or smart TV is the way forward?
thanks for reading this far! and thanks for any advice you can offer
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
I have a Firestick 4K, I highly recommend it. Launches quickly and a smooth user interface. Will have access to Netflix, Disney+, YouTube and maybe side load other apps such as nowTV (not 100% sure). Get the 4K version and not the standard one imo.

Edit: just make sure you have a spare HDMI slot in your TV and WiFi of course
Edited by: "nazmul555" 29th Apr
nazmul55529/04/2020 17:56

I have a Firestick 4K, I highly recommend it. Launches quickly and a …I have a Firestick 4K, I highly recommend it. Launches quickly and a smooth user interface. Will have access to Netflix, Disney+, YouTube and maybe side load other apps such as nowTV (not 100% sure). Get the 4K version and not the standard one imo.Edit: just make sure you have a spare HDMI slot in your TV and WiFi of course

Thanks for that I presume it's best ordered from Amazon?
Yes, if your not in a rush, wait for them to drop in price to £30/£25 if sales are on. Otherwise go for it even at current price.
Go with roku...every streaming app is all on this even Apple TV and only one to have every streaming app hence why it was a winner for me as I have subscriptions with them all....I heard that you can’t get nowtv through a Firestick these days(y)
New tv all the way. It sounds like you’ve not got a 4k tv so all these sticks won’t get thier full use and your missing out with Disney + and Netflix 4k. You can pick up a decent hisense 55” 4k tv with all the apps including Disney and Netflix for under £300. Yeah that’s more than a firestick but totally worth it for some excellent 4k tv shows. Or even get a 42” for £200 ish.
I would got for a new TV, you can pick up a nice 55" around £350 mark with 5 years warranty
Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards a firestick 4k as it's 50 quid and if I don't like it I can always sell it on, I know I won't benefit from the 4k bit but I was thinking it's worth the extra tenner for the better processor ?
john_kirkpatrick29/04/2020 21:46

Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards a firestick 4k as it's 50 quid and if I …Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards a firestick 4k as it's 50 quid and if I don't like it I can always sell it on, I know I won't benefit from the 4k bit but I was thinking it's worth the extra tenner for the better processor ?

Better processor is always required in a Direstick.
john_kirkpatrick29/04/2020 21:46

Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards a firestick 4k as it's 50 quid and if I …Thanks folks, I'm leaning towards a firestick 4k as it's 50 quid and if I don't like it I can always sell it on, I know I won't benefit from the 4k bit but I was thinking it's worth the extra tenner for the better processor ?

Definitely get the 4K Firestick as its much faster than the standard version. If you can wait it usually drops to £30 from time to time when on sale. The slightly cheaper Certified refurbished Firestick in my experience when purchased have also appeared brand new to me...
If you want NOW TV then you need to get a Roku as you can't get it on a Firestick
Yes definitely a Amazon Fire 4K Stick, I purchased a Roku 4K Stick when they was on offer but I was so disappointed and sold it on eBay, first of all the Roku 4K Stick does not have Amazon Music and the Amazon Prime Video app is so out-dated in comparison the the Amazon Fire 4K Stick... Also its purely designed for the US Market and some of the apps crash when you try to use them, the ONLY benefit the Roku actually offers is the fact you can use NOW TV on it, and yes they are a lot more apps available on the Roku but that is all... Infact the NEW Roku stick is not as good as the older versions of Roku devices, which is all to do with firmware and updates, but the simple truth is.. they have purely designed the Roku for the US market and here in the UK I find the new Roku stick is just an hassle so buy a Amazon 4K Stick.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions