Firestick won't power up

Posted 24th May 2020
any ideas?

Won't power on at all. tried different plug and different USB cables. tried different TV and different hdmi . tried this off YouTube

and still nothing

I contacted Amazon who said it's out of warranty as I purchased it back in 2017 and they could only offer me 15% off a new firestick
Community Updates
Ask
38 Comments
It could be dead, take the 15% off a new one. The standard Firestick is currently on offer too I believe
Arto24/05/2020 10:07

It could be dead, take the 15% off a new one. The standard Firestick is …It could be dead, take the 15% off a new one. The standard Firestick is currently on offer too I believe

If this one only lasted two years then I think I'll not be purchasing another one
efc_4ever24/05/2020 10:25

If this one only lasted two years then I think I'll not be purchasing …If this one only lasted two years then I think I'll not be purchasing another one

What gen was it?
efc_4ever24/05/2020 10:58

2nd

I’ve got the 4K one and never had a single problem since it came out
Arto24/05/2020 11:01

I’ve got the 4K one and never had a single problem since it came out

Ye I have a 4K one and the cube and both no issues

I had this 2nd gen one in my son's room. I've had it for about 2 and a half yrs. I have a spare nowtv stick so I'll just stick that in his room
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 24th May

If this one only lasted two years then I think I'll not be purchasing …If this one only lasted two years then I think I'll not be purchasing another one

Can you plug it all back in and try and connect with apps2fire see if it picks any devices up?
If purchased in 2017 it's over 2 years,still last be longer though.
Edited by: "fearona" 24th May
fearona24/05/2020 11:13

Can you plug it all back in and try and connect with apps2fire see if it …Can you plug it all back in and try and connect with apps2fire see if it picks any devices up?If purchased in 2017 it's over 2 years,still last be longer though.

I don't think apps2fire will pick up the device as it's not powering on at all. I'll give it a go but I doubt it's going to pick something up that's not even switched on
efc_4ever24/05/2020 11:15

I don't think apps2fire will pick up the device as it's not powering on at …I don't think apps2fire will pick up the device as it's not powering on at all. I'll give it a go but I doubt it's going to pick something up that's not even switched on

Do all the TV hdmi slots say no device inserted/plugged in?
fearona24/05/2020 11:22

Do all the TV hdmi slots say no device inserted/plugged in?

Ye they do

they are on offer for £24.99 at the moment, minus 15% means a little over £21 for a new, more up to date one. Think I would just bite the bullet and get one if it gets used
I've never heard of one of these not working before, not even on my YouTube channel which I shows people how to add the apps for films and TV.
I know it is possible to open them up and have a look inside, not much to go wrong as it's only a tiny board.
Have you checked inside the micro USB port to make sure no pins are bent, a friend of mine had bent pins and fixed them with a mini screwdriver
Toon_army24/05/2020 11:35

I've never heard of one of these not working before, not even on my …I've never heard of one of these not working before, not even on my YouTube channel which I shows people how to add the apps for films and TV.I know it is possible to open them up and have a look inside, not much to go wrong as it's only a tiny board.Have you checked inside the micro USB port to make sure no pins are bent, a friend of mine had bent pins and fixed them with a mini screwdriver

Ye I checked the micro usb port. Is this the bit of cable that goes into the firestick? I Used a knife to bend it back a little but still no joy. I put the YouTube link I used in my post

I might as well open it up and have a look like you said. Firstly how do I open it lol and then what am I looking for?
efc_4ever24/05/2020 11:37

Ye I checked the micro usb port. Is this the bit of cable that goes into …Ye I checked the micro usb port. Is this the bit of cable that goes into the firestick? I Used a knife to bend it back a little but still no joy. I put the YouTube link I used in my postI might as well open it up and have a look like you said. Firstly how do I open it lol and then what am I looking for?

Just stick a knife in the side and pop it open, you'll see the gaps on the bottom... when it's open just have a look on the board see if it looks like anything blown. I honestly think it could just be a pin for the HDMi or the micro USB port
Toon_army24/05/2020 11:55

Just stick a knife in the side and pop it open, you'll see the gaps on the …Just stick a knife in the side and pop it open, you'll see the gaps on the bottom... when it's open just have a look on the board see if it looks like anything blown. I honestly think it could just be a pin for the HDMi or the micro USB port

Do you mean these bits?
Can you see if all is ok off these pictures?

40856997-yWAwA.jpg40856997-n9fc0.jpg
efc_4ever24/05/2020 11:59

Do you mean these bits?Can you see if all is ok off these pictures?[Image] …Do you mean these bits?Can you see if all is ok off these pictures?[Image] [Image]

He means open the case up.
40857030-VG8h7.jpg
The board looks fine, can't see any signs of anything being blown on that side. The HDMi port looks fine, the USB port could be the issue! Did you say you've had a knife in to straighten the connector?
Have you tried the stick in a different tv? Just to eliminate that option..
Bargainhead24/05/2020 12:10

Have you tried the stick in a different tv? Just to eliminate that option..

Yup
Toon_army24/05/2020 12:09

The board looks fine, can't see any signs of anything being blown on that …The board looks fine, can't see any signs of anything being blown on that side. The HDMi port looks fine, the USB port could be the issue! Did you say you've had a knife in to straighten the connector?

That's right ye. Just bent it back slightly for about 20secs
efc_4ever24/05/2020 12:12

Yup

Even if you pay 24.99 for 2.5 years it’s less than a £1 a month which is awesome value if you sideload movies on them..
You do still have the most impressive bit. The bloody remote. Go missing or stop working. Sell it on ebay and you might get some of your money back
I've got the same issue with my Fire TV Box, it's not powering up. No lights or anything on the box!
efc_4ever24/05/2020 12:13

That's right ye. Just bent it back slightly for about 20secs

It just looks a little low, try bending it a bit up so it's got a good connection.

Griffinpark198224/05/2020 12:17

I've got the same issue with my Fire TV Box, it's not powering up. No …I've got the same issue with my Fire TV Box, it's not powering up. No lights or anything on the box!

You tried another power cable or the fuse in the plug?
Toon_army24/05/2020 12:19

It just looks a little low, try bending it a bit up so it's got a good …It just looks a little low, try bending it a bit up so it's got a good connection.You tried another power cable or the fuse in the plug?

I'll put a bit more force in it this time and if it cracks then so be it as it's probably going in the bin anyway

Pretty much center that now
40857197-1cEpv.jpg
Toon_army24/05/2020 12:19

It just looks a little low, try bending it a bit up so it's got a good …It just looks a little low, try bending it a bit up so it's got a good connection.You tried another power cable or the fuse in the plug?

Yes I've tried everything, different power cable/HDMI. The funny thing is, it was working and was updating itself, then once it tried to restart and it didn't switch on after that.
I give up. Tried everything. In the bin
efc_4ever24/05/2020 12:27

Me too lol I've just managed to get 15% off as well via chat, thanks for the tip
Griffinpark198224/05/2020 12:46

Me too lol I've just managed to get 15% off as well via chat, thanks for …Me too lol I've just managed to get 15% off as well via chat, thanks for the tip

no problem
efc_4ever24/05/2020 12:27

Sell your remote on eBay or something and get a little money back and order a new one with the 15% off while it’s on offer
Looks like water may have got into it somehow.....what's the blue thing.
Toon_army24/05/2020 11:35

I've never heard of one of these not working before, not even on my …I've never heard of one of these not working before, not even on my YouTube channel which I shows people how to add the apps for films and TV.I know it is possible to open them up and have a look inside, not much to go wrong as it's only a tiny board.Have you checked inside the micro USB port to make sure no pins are bent, a friend of mine had bent pins and fixed them with a mini screwdriver

Can you provide a link to your YouTube channel please?
Firebird_3724/05/2020 16:31

It’s really easy, takes 2 minutes. Personally I use Kodi
Firebird_3724/05/2020 16:31

Don't think I'm allowed links, just search craigs video channel it'll pop straight up. As the person above said it's easy enough to add stuff like Kodi, I use that with a paid account works out like £2.50 a month and get everything
Toon_army24/05/2020 21:07

Don't think I'm allowed links, just search craigs video channel it'll pop …Don't think I'm allowed links, just search craigs video channel it'll pop straight up. As the person above said it's easy enough to add stuff like Kodi, I use that with a paid account works out like £2.50 a month and get everything

Real Debrid? I use that, never looked back
Arto24/05/2020 22:56

Real Debrid? I use that, never looked back

Yeah RD I didn't want to mention it by name as I thought it would be removed I think I've gotten about 80 of my subscribers to join it and they all keep saying they wished they knew about it sooner
Just be careful how you pay RD even with amazon as they still have your data....so it's still traceable if you download anything from them.
Post a comment
@
    Text