Groups

Firewall with Xp

Ok folks, do you really need to get a special firewall for Xp or does the windows one with Xp do just the same thing?

9 Comments

Banned

i dont have a different one, just the windows one, never had any probs, now i know whats gonna happen after saying that - lol

XP Firewall can't really call itself a firewall it's rather lacking in features, it does nothing to stop suspicious outgoing traffic for example, making it about as much use as a sheet of paper in a Nuclear explosion - sure it'll stop the alpha particles but the other stuff will wipe you out anyway.

Ideally you want a firewall on your router (not something you can add, either it has one or it doesn't), and if you use wireless then one on each machine in the wireless network too. Something like Comodo (personalfirewall.comodo.com/ind…tml) should do the job for personal use.

Original Poster

an you just install comodo and it will act as a firewall or do you have to change settings etc to allow disallow ??
    It doesnt eat much juice does it while its running?

It's ok but not brilliant. One of the best available, and it is free is Comodo.

saxo_appeal;4732731

an you just install comodo and it will act as a firewall or do you have … an you just install comodo and it will act as a firewall or do you have to change settings etc to allow disallow ??It doesnt eat much juice does it while its running?

It will set itself to train automatically, so anything suspicious it will pop-up and ask you to allow/disallow. A bit annoying to start off with but unobtrusive once it's trained and worth it for the extra security! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

thanks

zonealarm is the best by far, think there is a free trial version that never expires too albeit with fewer options than the pro version I am using

zaheer2003;4750312

zonealarm is the best by far, think there is a free trial version that … zonealarm is the best by far, think there is a free trial version that never expires too albeit with fewer options than the pro version I am using

Not for me it wasn't, it caused chaos, I changed to Comodo, no problems since.

paranoid mode on comodo gotta love it! It totally understands me
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. 'Hard' Brexit offers '£135bn annual boost' to economy - BBC News1639
      2. Show us your Photos 2017. August's Theme - Animals30387
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …77132
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846278

See more discussions