First Bean To Cup Coffee Machine

Posted 17th Dec 2019
Just bought my first bean to cup coffee machine: Beko CEG5311X. Had some really good reviews and doesn't look too complicated! I really like the simple design.

Can anyone recommend some decent beans to try? From some comments here, i will check on Thompsons in Scotland - any others to go for? Thanx
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

15 Comments
Lavazza Qualita Rossa (Red bag)
It's available everywhere and makes a very good coffee.
Be wary of some of the fancier beans which may clog the unit.
Edited by: "drasim" 17th Dec 2019
The Tim Hortons original coffee beans make a mean cup of Joe. You can pick them up in store if there’s one nearby.
The Sainsburys Taste The Difference beans are all good. Half of the fun of using coffee beans is trying the various different varieties and roasts to see which ones you like the best.
Lidl and Aldi both do good coffee beans but it is all down to personal taste. Try a few and either settle on one or two you really like. I like some at £20/Kg and I like plenty around £10 . No point in spending £20 for years when you may like some at £10. One thing for sure we'll never go back to instant.
Amazon often have good offers on coffee beans , they have a fair selection and don't dismiss their own brands either , you may like them. Ignore the coffee snobs who think if it doesn't cost a packet (see what I did) it will be rubbish. Avoid the beans that have extra flavours added, like Vanilla as these are often greasy and clog your machine.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 17th Dec 2019
Aldi do some lovely beans, Starbucks and Costa beans when there on offer in the supermarkets, Asda Java and if you have a whitards near you go and have a gander
Lol, I got a bean to cup a few months ago and I keep trying new beans. Between that and the multiple coffee lengths and strengths and grind levels etc.... I haven't settled yet on the perfect combo. Theres just too many choices. That said the ones from aldi, strength 5 are up there with the others but a lot lower price.
Very much a personal taste. See if you maybe have a local store around like the one below. They have great knowledge and let you sample before buying.

sdbellsteacoffee.com/
I use a website called onthegrindcoffee which I came across from ebay to get freshly roasted single origin beans. All supermarket beans are already stale and this way I also support a small UK business. You can get 25% off using code FRESH25. I get one 500g bag per month and my fav is colombian supremo 17
While everyone is here talking about Bean to cup machines, I have a question. On mine, there is a dial where the beans go. I think that you can use this to set the grind level???

Does anyone know what this is and how it affects the coffee?
sparx198118/12/2019 09:18

While everyone is here talking about Bean to cup machines, I have a …While everyone is here talking about Bean to cup machines, I have a question. On mine, there is a dial where the beans go. I think that you can use this to set the grind level???Does anyone know what this is and how it affects the coffee?

General rule of thumb if the espresso is coming out very quickly, with little or no crema and little or no taste, the grind is quite likely too coarse. Try turning it a few notches finer. If the espresso is coming out very slowly, or barely coming out at all, and the taste is harsh and bitter, the grind is probably too fine. Try turning it a bit coarser.
Lavazza Super Crema. Can buy 1KG for £12 on Amazon, various other types available in 1KG packs for around the same price. Occasionally there are hospitality packs available of 2KG for £20. Empty the bags into freezable containers same size as your machines feeder, and just get a container out when the feeder is empty.

Makes it cheaper than instant coffee yet tastes amazing.

Quick check Super crema is expensive at moment, but its what I personally prefer. Cheapest is Lavazza Qualita Rossa at £9.35 a KG.

Buying beans from a supermarket is a really bad idea as the mark up they add is obscene.
Edited by: "ukle" 18th Dec 2019
ndyanem18/12/2019 09:24

General rule of thumb if the espresso is coming out very quickly, with …General rule of thumb if the espresso is coming out very quickly, with little or no crema and little or no taste, the grind is quite likely too coarse. Try turning it a few notches finer. If the espresso is coming out very slowly, or barely coming out at all, and the taste is harsh and bitter, the grind is probably too fine. Try turning it a bit coarser.

Thank you, I'll take a look
I just bought coffee masters Brazilian yellow bourbon beans and have to say they are they nicest coffee beans I’ve ever had. Not cheap though at £16.49 per kg.
Was given a bag of Costa beans before these which i did rate at all.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
Rave Coffee. Signature blend. Best Coffee Beans! 🏻
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions