First Bus Ticket Inspectors and Invalid Pass

Found 10th May 2012
So at work there is a scheme with First Group so that employees can sign up to a direct debit scheme where you can purchase monthly tickets at a reduced rate. The first month you get a photo card and your first monthly ticket then you get a new ticket each month - photocard remains the same.

I have been part of this scheme since January, the first month was fine but when my second ticket arrived for February, I noticed that the photocard number printed on the ticket was different to my actual photocard number. I telephoned First and queried this but was told it was fine and nothing to worry about.

I haven’t had any issues since then and use my pass nearly every day. Today I caught the bus to work and halfway through the journey the bus stopped and let on two men in florescent jackets board the bus. They identified themselves as Ticket Inspectors and asked to see everyone's tickets.

When the ticket inspector got to me I showed him my pass and he snatched it off me and said it was invalid. When I asked why he told me it was because the photocard number didnt match the ticket. I said yes I know what, I have already raised it with First and they said it wasn’t an issue. He said it was and that is was invalid and therefore he could fine me £50 and report me to the police.

He was incredibly rude and intimidating and was very obviously trying to draw attention to the situation which was really embarrassing. He spoke to me like I was a criminal.

I said I would contact First when I got to work and ask them to send me a new and correct ticket. I said can I continue to use this pass until I receive my new one considering a) I pay out £45 a month for the pass and b) it is their error and I have used it for nearly five months with no problems but he said he had taken my name and pass number and if I used it I would be fined. He said I would have to pay to use the bus for the next few days.

I have since spoken to First who have said that it is their mistake but I am really angry - because of their mistake they have sold me invalid tickets for four months, put me at risk of being refused travel and being fined.

What are my options here, could I ask for my money back for the last four months seeing as they sold me invalid tickets? I am going to complain because it was their mistake and the way I was spoken to was completely out of line.
Community Updates
Misc
32 Comments
Overreaction - Of course you won't get your money back, you have been using the ticket for the last 4 months. The best you will get is an apology and maybe a discount if you are really lucky.
Milkfloat

Overreaction - Of course you won't get your money back, you have been … Overreaction - Of course you won't get your money back, you have been using the ticket for the last 4 months. The best you will get is an apology and maybe a discount if you are really lucky.

I don't think its an overreaction - the ticket inspector said the tickets I have had over the last four months have been invalid and therefore, I have been paying for invalid tickets.

The fact that I even told them that the numbers were different and they didn't see it as an issue just adds to their incompetence
kimbyanne

I don't think its an overreaction - the ticket inspector said the tickets … I don't think its an overreaction - the ticket inspector said the tickets I have had over the last four months have been invalid and therefore, I have been paying for invalid tickets. The fact that I even told them that the numbers were different and they didn't see it as an issue just adds to their incompetence

You still got the service you paid for.

I agree with what you are saying about how you were treated on the bus and I would be pretty enraged at those responsible for putting you into that embarrassing and potential criminal situation and I would ask at least they pay for your monthly ticket which was confiscated and maybe as a goodwill gesture to pay for another month on top gratis as compensation but aim higher for a 6 month pass.

If you argue that technically because the tickets were invalid you should get your money back, then the bus company could argue that if the tickets were invalid then you were travelling without a valid ticket and are therefore liable to a £50 per journey fine....

They certainly owe you an apology but don't expect much else....
Edited by: "gari189" 10th May 2012
So you think you should be refunded for the journeys that you've made because a ticket inspector found a printing problem with your ticket? You're not American are you?
kimbyanne

I don't think its an overreaction - the ticket inspector said the tickets … I don't think its an overreaction - the ticket inspector said the tickets I have had over the last four months have been invalid and therefore, I have been paying for invalid tickets. The fact that I even told them that the numbers were different and they didn't see it as an issue just adds to their incompetence

of course its an over-reaction

you want something for nowt!

just pay for the next few days and seek a refund for those days once your correct ticket comes.

Classic broken Britain alive and well I see
Edited by: "csiman" 10th May 2012
I dont want something for nothing, I want what I paid for - VAILD tickets!
I wonder how many times the ticket inspector has heard "It's not my fault guv" before. The ticket inspector is there to do a job not a psych evaluation to see who is telling the truth or porkies. If it was that easy 2 people could easily share a pass if the inspector was likely to believe everything they heard. Take it out on the people who have made the mistake not the person actually doing their job. To the ticket inspector you are a criminal, a bit like the police if they find your DVLA or insurance to be incorrect even though it may be right.

Edited by: "newbie1001" 10th May 2012
ask for your money back? but you have been using the service although with an invalid ticket, i would expect an apology but that is about it, why does everything have to come with whats the best i can get out of what happened
kimbyanne

I dont want something for nothing, I want what I paid for - VAILD tickets!

fair enough assuming you are willing to reimburse the bus company for all the fares you havent actually been paying for

you cant have your cake.....

cant see how you dont get it tbh
think you are a bit of a chancer. You have been using the ticket and have got what you paid for. There was a printing error and because of this you want 4 months travel free! Typical of todays attitude of me me me! Stop being so greedy an apology would suffice
Send me your ticket and photocard, I'll look into it for you

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab238/deek72uk/blakey_o_GIFSoupcom.gif
Well I have just had a phone call and they are reimbursing me for two months travel so around £90.
Bus to work.
lol
kimbyanne

Well I have just had a phone call and they are reimbursing me for two … Well I have just had a phone call and they are reimbursing me for two months travel so around £90.

Good
teh arn

Bus to work.lol

Oh dear what a silly comment.
i dont think you are overreacting personally. you tried to do the right thing and you were misinformed by the company you bought the ticket from in good faith, leading to you being publically humiliated and embarrassed. The company had a duty to compensate you for that. its not American or taking a liberty to expect a goodwill gesture if a company misinforms you and that results in you suffering as a result. Good on you for complaining!!! ignore the haters on here x
Look at their conditions, it will state that all photocard numbers must match tickets issued. This may not technically be your fault, but it's always wise to go through the Ts&Cs and make SURE you can't get done by inspectors.
The number of scrotes around who swap season tickets is huge, and to the inspectors you were just another one.
You got an apology, so count yourself lucky chap.
Haha the inspectors are weird old people... and fine you? Pfft.. let them try.
Good to hear you got some compensation..
punkstoner1

Ticket inspector.Sums it up.Round my way they are accompanied by the … Ticket inspector.Sums it up.Round my way they are accompanied by the Police. But thats another story, for another day.

your area sounds awful

rochdale perhaps?

why not move?
I manage a complaints department so broken Britain is keeping me in work!! TBF I would judge the outcome on this one fair and worthy of the sort of redress you were looking for.

csiman

your area sounds awfulrochdale perhaps?why not move?

My guess is Hull.................
1. You used the invalid tickets anyway
2. They can't reissue Calid tickets for the past (unless back to the future was real)
3. You're grasping at straws
4. You disgust me even thinking about what you can get for nothing out of this
Look at all the usual NumNut Trolls given the OP a hard time.
The OP is on a bus & an Inspector is as good as telling the OP he/she is a fair dodger & some of you guys think this is acceptable :-/
When my car was off the road I used the bus & remember these inspectors coming on & they do think they can talk down to you & be aggressive in the way they speak to you.
1 passenger was around 18 years old & she had paid 90p instead of £1.10 & one of the inspectors was given her a hard time & so I handed him a 50p coin to cover her fair & he told me to mind my own business lol.
To cut a long story short,that inspector was out of order in the way he dealt with the girl & he got the message from myself & other passengers when he tried his luck with me.

Yes trolls I have BigNuts for a reason

Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 11th May 2012
So the bus is where WMN does his grooming!
gbspurs

I only groom Inspectors & cheeky people
No time for fare dodgers, but i hate "revenue protection officers" more, absoute jobsworths... I like to ask them for ID before showing them my ticket.

gbspurs

gbspurs

50p seems cheap to me..........................
bassman_uk

50p seems cheap to me..........................

I remember the first time I had sex with this girl from the dancing & after the sex I handed her £20 & she slapped me for no reason.I've since started handing over smaller amounts
kimbyanne

Well I have just had a phone call and they are reimbursing me for two … Well I have just had a phone call and they are reimbursing me for two months travel so around £90.

Result. Well done.

Hopefully in future they will issue the correct tickets and instruct their jobsworth staff to act civilly.
WheresMeNuts

I remember the first time I had sex with this girl from the dancing & … I remember the first time I had sex with this girl from the dancing & after the sex I handed her £20 & she slapped me for no reason.I've since started handing over smaller amounts

Obviously didn't know how she was going to spend it!
WheresMeNuts

Look at all the usual NumNut Trolls given the OP a hard time.The OP is on … Look at all the usual NumNut Trolls given the OP a hard time.The OP is on a bus & an Inspector is as good as telling the OP he/she is a fair dodger & some of you guys think this is acceptable :-/When my car was off the road I used the bus & remember these inspectors coming on & they do think they can talk down to you & be aggressive in the way they speak to you.1 passenger was around 18 years old & she had paid 90p instead of £1.10 & one of the inspectors was given her a hard time & so I handed him a 50p coin to cover her fair & he told me to mind my own business lol.To cut a long story short,that inspector was out of order in the way he dealt with the girl & he got the message from myself & other passengers when he tried his luck with me.Yes trolls I have BigNuts for a reason

Fair? Really? WMN, you have the correct word in FRONT of you, how hard would it be to get it right? Lazy, just lazy.
Big nuts? Small brain more like.
Edited by: "backinblack" 11th May 2012
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants