Groups
    EXPIRED

First car advice needed

My 17 year old niece passed her driving test today and we're off car shopping tomorrow. Can't seem to find a list of cars with their insurance groups. Can anyone help as I'd like to take a list with me when we look around the showrooms.

Any recommendations for a first car would be appreciated too as she is only a student with a part-time job. I'm going to lend her the cash and thought a budget of £1000 would suffice.

57 Comments

]http//ww…g=1

thats group 1 just change the top right to look at different groups

My first car, and lots of my friends, was a fiat punto. With a 1.2 engine they are reasonable to insure and tax, reasonable prices too secondhand and good little cars which are big enough to get you back and forth with all your stuff to uni every year.

i've got an s reg pug 106 zest. Brilliant little car only set me back £800 too =)

At the moment most of my friends drive:
    Citroen saxo
    Peugeot 106
    Ford fiesta
    Vauxhall corsa (old style)
    People with rich parents drive:
    Citroen c2
    Citroen c3
    Vauxhall corsa (new style)
    Fiat Punto

Probably no real help but thought i'd share that

Original Poster

So am I right in thinking that Group 1 only for a first car ?

Ok will check out the cars you've advised. She learnt in a Ford Ka but I hate them. Seems like a lifetime since I got my first car.

You definately aren't restricted to group 1 for your first car - it is just the list of cars which are cheapest to insure as far as I am aware.

One thing I can say is: power assisited steering! You should make sure she gets one with power assisted steering, even on your budget it's available and will make a huge difference especially if she's learnt to drive with it.

choc1969;2830519

So am I right in thinking that Group 1 only for a first car ?Ok will … So am I right in thinking that Group 1 only for a first car ?Ok will check out the cars you've advised. She learnt in a Ford Ka but I hate them. Seems like a lifetime since I got my first car.

generally the lower the group the loweer the insurance so definatly wanna keep to 1/2 if possible.
    Cause she a new driver and young to boot she will get stung anyways make sure she adds a named driver to the insurance who been driving a while like parent or something makes a big difference to the price! :thumbsup:

what sort of money are you looking to spend?

something like a mini one is great and low insurance

£1000 for a 17 year old new driver would just about cover the insurance? (if she had her own policy) ; named on another policy would be considerably cheaper).

Original Poster

onlyme23;2830547

generally the lower the group the loweer the insurance so definatly wanna … generally the lower the group the loweer the insurance so definatly wanna keep to 1/2 if possible.Cause she a new driver and young to boot she will get stung anyways make sure she adds a named driver to the insurance who been driving a while like parent or something makes a big difference to the price! :thumbsup:

That will be me then.....big family but everyone seems to have points :oops:

Original Poster

amansk;2830565

£1000 for a 17 year old new driver would just about cover the insurance? … £1000 for a 17 year old new driver would just about cover the insurance? (if she had her own policy, named on another policy would be considerably cheaper).

£1000 just for the car, she'll pay for the insurance

choc1969;2830569

That will be me then.....big family but everyone seems to have points … That will be me then.....big family but everyone seems to have points :oops:

would help if no points on license lol

Generally doesnt make all that difference who it is as long as they been driving a while, i have 4 named drivers despite bein the only one who drives it :thumbsup:

go for a punto, cheap to run, insure, repair. (just make sure it has power steering ;))

edit: the list stratomaster has come up with is perfect, would try best to stick to that

Original Poster

amansk;2830594

go for a punto, cheap to run, insure, repair. (just make sure it has … go for a punto, cheap to run, insure, repair. (just make sure it has power steering ;))edit: the list stratomaster has come up with is perfect, would try best to stick to that

Power steering a defo....:thumbsup:

Got in a mates car the other day to drive it home one night, couldn't start the car. She told me to pull the choke out.....WTF had no idea what she was talking about. :oops:

i know alot of people recommend having your own insurance. But these days, companies like direct line give named drivers a no claims. So you would be better off doing insurance under an older persons name. If you do this, the car must be in the policyholders name, MUST!

As said earlier, a mini is a lovely car. If it were me, I would say a new style fiesta, new mini or a volkswagen. Or the new suzuki swift. Lovely!

Original Poster

I always feel claustrophobic in a mini being 5 10, my niece isn't much shorter.

Her dad and uncles would kill her if she bought a ford (my brothers all drive german cars lol)

Look of disgust when I bought my Focus last year

aircanman;2830608

i know alot of people recommend having your own insurance. But these … i know alot of people recommend having your own insurance. But these days, companies like direct line give named drivers a no claims. So you would be better off doing insurance under an older persons name. If you do this, the car must be in the policyholders name, MUST! As said earlier, a mini is a lovely car. If it were me, I would say a new style fiesta, new mini or a volkswagen. Or the new suzuki swift. Lovely!

for 1k though? might struggle to get the new minis, golfs etc....

polos are good and some can be sought for sub 1k.

what about a micra, jap reliable, lots of extras in some, cheap to run, insurance group 2 or 3....

choc1969;2830625

I always feel claustrophobic in a mini being 5 10, my niece isn't much … I always feel claustrophobic in a mini being 5 10, my niece isn't much shorter.Her dad and uncles would kill her if she bought a ford (my brothers all drive german cars lol)Look of disgust when I bought my Focus last year

i diddnt know it was only for £1000,

im 6'1 and I dont feel claustrophobic in my mini lol.

Its an excellent car, drives like a merc and is after all a BMW

how about the ford ka?
    ino their not cool but cheap to buy/insure/maintain/run.
    the black one with matching bumpers looks allrite

Cluffy321;2830643

how about the ford ka?ino their not cool but cheap to … how about the ford ka?ino their not cool but cheap to buy/insure/maintain/run.the black one with matching bumpers looks allrite

i have a S reg ka that I use for runabout. Its knackered. wonder what its worth lol.

£400 to you?

Problems - Bonnet hinge rusted and broken, steering rack not working right.

steering rack not working right.

about 5-6 hundred quid to get that fixed

not to me, but to someone im sure, i hope to buy a car so much when i turn 17, i was thinking a ford ka but anything below 500 is going to be the target me thinks

Original Poster

aircanman;2830642

i diddnt know it was only for £1000, im 6'1 and I dont feel … i diddnt know it was only for £1000, im 6'1 and I dont feel claustrophobic in my mini lol. Its an excellent car, drives like a merc and is after all a BMW

Stems from schooldays where the netball team were shoved into the teachers mini to go to games.....those were the days :?

aircanman;2830608

i know alot of people recommend having your own insurance. But these … i know alot of people recommend having your own insurance. But these days, companies like direct line give named drivers a no claims. So you would be better off doing insurance under an older persons name. If you do this, the car must be in the policyholders name, MUST! As said earlier, a mini is a lovely car. If it were me, I would say a new style fiesta, new mini or a volkswagen. Or the new suzuki swift. Lovely!

Insurance fronting is fraud, don't forget.

Furthermore, the offer of named driver NCB is not a genuine NCB.

pghstochaj;2830690

Insurance fronting is fraud, don't forget.Furthermore, the offer of named … Insurance fronting is fraud, don't forget.Furthermore, the offer of named driver NCB is not a genuine NCB.

it is not fraud. the days of main driver and named driver are past I think

direct line, its a policyholder. Which is not ness the main driver. And a named driver.

ding;2830677

about 5-6 hundred quid to get that fixed

I know, gonna try and sell the ka for spares or repair. It has like 10 months MOT and tax. im gutted. only like 50k on the clock as well.

my car is a ford fiesta encore and im a first time driver, think its group 3 on the insurance, dont think you would want to go much higher than that plus when you go looking you can alway ask what group insurance the car is

aircanman;2830705

it is not fraud. the days of main driver and named driver are past I … it is not fraud. the days of main driver and named driver are past I thinkdirect line, its a policyholder. Which is not ness the main driver. And a named driver.

Not at all. Still very much fraud to (for example), be a named driver and be the main user, unless the insurer is fully aware, at which point they would normally only insure you as the policy holder regardless.

As I also said previously, direct line do not provide NCB for named drivers, just a NCB for previously insured named drivers on Direct Line policies. It is not transferable.

Original Poster

No probs with the insurance.....niece wants to pay it herself so we'll get some prices. Thanks to all for the advice :thumbsup:

If you do this, just be aware you must lie on the proposal form as to who is the main user of the vehicle. If you tell the truth, obviously the risk will change and the proper premium will be charged.

go for a vw polo

Banned

onlyme23;2830451

]http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/Groups/by-group.aspx?ig=1thats group … ]http://www.parkers.co.uk/insurance/Groups/by-group.aspx?ig=1thats group 1 just change the top right to look at different groups

Mine's in group 10, thanks for the link onlyme23, rep added.

Banned

pghstochaj;2830690

Insurance fronting is fraud, don't forget.Furthermore, the offer of named … Insurance fronting is fraud, don't forget.Furthermore, the offer of named driver NCB is not a genuine NCB.

pghstochaj;2830752

Not at all. Still very much fraud to (for example), be a named driver and … Not at all. Still very much fraud to (for example), be a named driver and be the main user, unless the insurer is fully aware, at which point they would normally only insure you as the policy holder regardless.As I also said previously, direct line do not provide NCB for named drivers, just a NCB for previously insured named drivers on Direct Line policies. It is not transferable.

Totally correct. It is fraud to be the main driver when you are in fact just a named driver on the policy. The insurance will not pay out.

Banned

csiman;2831465

Totally correct. It is fraud to be the main driver when you are in fact … Totally correct. It is fraud to be the main driver when you are in fact just a named driver on the policy. The insurance will not pay out.

How would they be able to prove this?

csiman;2831465

Totally correct. It is fraud to be the main driver when you are in fact … Totally correct. It is fraud to be the main driver when you are in fact just a named driver on the policy. The insurance will not pay out.

how do they know who drives the car most though?

Banned

guerilla;2831542

I thought that too, i'm glad i am not the only one ;-)

I use Autotrader to get car details (similar to what I would hopefully find) then try someone like confused.com to get an 'idea' of what my insurance may be.

The cheaper insurance companies I found are Quinn Direct and More Than for new drivers, but i'm a male in his late twenties so it may be different for her. Also some insurers have Quidco offers and some (not all) offer a small discount (maybe £20) if a more experienced driver is placed on the insurance as a second driver.

Ford Ka's are pretty cheap now, have low insurance, low repair costs and have a funky styling that may appeal to a younger person.

Banned

Ungreat;2831591

I use Autotrader to get car details (similar to what I would hopefully … I use Autotrader to get car details (similar to what I would hopefully find) then try someone like confused.com to get an 'idea' of what my insurance may be.The cheaper insurance companies I found are Quinn Direct and More Than for new drivers, but i'm a male in his late twenties so it may be different for her. Also some insurers have Quidco offers and some (not all) offer a small discount (maybe £20) if a more experienced driver is placed on the insurance as a second driver.Ford Ka's are pretty cheap now, have low insurance, low repair costs and have a funky styling that may appeal to a younger person.

I worked for Ford for a short period of time about 8 year's ago.

People complained abot the seat's giving them a back back, depends what they were doing on the seat's, i suppose :-D

My first car was a Polo and I loved it. Coincidentally I am selling it to raise funds for a new car!

hotukdeals.com/ite…es/

guerilla;2831542

Depends on the case, however, companies actually exist just to prove it. If a payout is to be large and it looks a bit unlikely that a 40 year old man was driving a 1.2 Corsa as his main car when he also owns an executive car, such a company could be brought in. They can look at various ways to prove it, which eventually would come down to the insured either lying in court or telling the truth, if they even take it that far. In most cases, people realise they are wrong and never take it to court. Remember, the insurer can basically decline a claim if they believe you are illegally fronting your insurance and then it would be up to you to prove otherwise.

1000 claims a year....

news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

choc1969;2830625

I always feel claustrophobic in a mini being 5 10, my niece isn't much … I always feel claustrophobic in a mini being 5 10, my niece isn't much shorter.Her dad and uncles would kill her if she bought a ford (my brothers all drive german cars lol)Look of disgust when I bought my Focus last year

Fords are built in Germany
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Veteran TV host Sir Bruce Forsyth dies at 891718
      2. Sad news about Barcelona24107
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764162
      4. How dangerous is Donald trump?26119

See more discussions