Groups

First car advice needed

I'm a first time driver, have just passed my test last week and looking to get my first car. Budget is £1000 ish for an automatic car

So my main queries are wanting something cheap to insure, cheap to run and maintain, won't break down and cheap to fix if it does break down.

I have no idea where to begin or look so any advice or tips would be great

have been looking on Auto trader and Gumtree, I don't know which filters to narrow down search or what is a good car worth going to take a look at .

Secondly Insurance is coming up around £2,400 any idea how I can reduce this. Am over 30 and only just passed my test and am planning on buying an automatic car.

27 Comments

Peugeot 206. It's cheap as chips you can pick one up for 1k easily.
    Super reliable. Costs about £30 to tax. Cheap to insure.

You can reduce your insurance by being black boxed if you like. They install a telematics box that monitors your driving habits. Although you would have to drive like you were on your driving test for the entire year. No breaking the speed limit etc. No excessive braking etc.

To reduce insurance I believe the newer the car the cheaper it sets!
    Try compare sites by editing vehicle to see what happens.

We bought our daughter a Matiz the engine size is approximately 800cc this made the insurance very cheap. She kept it for 2 years. She insured with Admiral who offer 10 months insurance though when you renew this is classed as a year. I do hope this info is up to date. She is now driving a brand new golf, her insurance is cheaper than mine.

£2.5 grand for insurance is scandalous, is the industry even regulated? i mean they increase the price day by day and then say its linked to Risk factors.

chrsinne

We bought our daughter a Matiz the engine size is approximately 800cc … We bought our daughter a Matiz the engine size is approximately 800cc this made the insurance very cheap. She kept it for 2 years. She insured with Admiral who offer 10 months insurance though when you renew this is classed as a year. I do hope this info is up to date. She is now driving a brand new golf, her insurance is cheaper than mine.

You might have 12 points and several bans!
    That would make anyone's cheaper than yours
    Edited by: "Qrunch" 12th Jul

Toyota yaris do a automatic. Very reliable.
    Friend picked a good one up for £1300 but cheaper ones are available.
    Stick to Japanese.

question is.... do you actually need an automatic?

Bad place to ask for advice on here. You will have every person offering a different opinion.

Truthfully, look around, get some insurance quotes and pretty much ignore individual opinions on cars posted on forums like here.

Oh, and don't automatically assume a supermini (like a Toyota Aygo or VW up) with a small engine will be the cheapest to insure. You'll often find a small family hatch (like a Focus/Astra) can be cheaper - as insurers like them because they are safer and have a "family image" to them. Even look at insuring a larger car like a Mondeo - its worth checking just to see if insurance is any less.

And add older family members onto your insurance - this can drastically shave hundreds of pounds off the price.
    And fiddle with your job description too, as you can save another £100 just by doing that.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

citreon are doing a deal on cars over 3yrs includes all insurance, tax, maintenance etc. cheaper than buying a car and insuring it and maintaining it and after 3 yrs you have a nice lump of NCB

118luke

Bad place to ask for advice on here. You will have every person offering … Bad place to ask for advice on here. You will have every person offering a different opinion.Truthfully, look around, get some insurance quotes and pretty much ignore individual opinions on cars posted on forums like here. Oh, and don't automatically assume a supermini (like a Toyota Aygo or VW up) with a small engine will be the cheapest to insure. You'll often find a small family hatch (like a Focus/Astra) can be cheaper - as insurers like them because they are safer and have a "family image" to them. Even look at insuring a larger car like a Mondeo - its worth checking just to see if insurance is any less.And add older family members onto your insurance - this can drastically shave hundreds of pounds off the price. And fiddle with your job description too, as you can save another £100 just by doing that.Best of luck, let us know how you get on.

Very good advice above. Especially about the perception of smaller engines and cars equating to cheaper insurance.
    Personally my own insurance is cheaper than my fathers, in comparsion my car has 4x BHP,Valued 4x higher, double the engine size, double the insurance bracket and I'm paying £90 per year less and we both have completely clean licence with no previous accidents and same postcode with each other as named drivers on our policys.
    Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 12th Jul

Balancing reliability and price, I'd be looking at any Japanese (or even Korean) cars. Would probably add Vauxhall Corsa and Ford Focus to the list as cheaper alternatives. Buying from a private person is cheaper, though you need to pay for an inspection. It is possible to haggle with the dealers or used car sellers and you may get some warranty from them. Look in the streets if there is any parked car that you like with "For sale" sign.
    Also make sure the gear box and overall design make you feel comfortable.
    Your insurance should definitely cost below 1K, but can be lowered if you add an experienced named driver and select a proper job title to about 600.

Regarding insurance - apart from the comparison sites, Direct Line and LV used to be more friendly towards new drivers.

You need to register on auto trader then log in and can filter more choices
    Edited by: "snoopy18" 12th Jul

Qrunch

You might have 12 points and several bans! That would make anyone's … You might have 12 points and several bans! That would make anyone's cheaper than yours

Just to clarify! I have never had a point on my license. I am a lady driver with 30 years of no claims.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice, I have a better starting points. will try tweaking the insurance abit and see which family member has the longest no claims .

if I want add someone to the policy will i be the additional driver or will they and will count towards my no claims ?

Original Poster

jthem

citreon are doing a deal on cars over 3yrs includes all insurance, tax, … citreon are doing a deal on cars over 3yrs includes all insurance, tax, maintenance etc. cheaper than buying a car and insuring it and maintaining it and after 3 yrs you have a nice lump of NCB

do you have a link for tis or should I just go on the citreon website/ are their cars quite reliable ?

You won't get cheap insurance. Thats the way it is until you start building your no claims bonus.

Consider a black box being fitted,

Don't lie to make the insurance cheaper (it won't be if they find out in the event of an accident, regardless of fault). Add an older driver but make sure you are the main driver.

Shop around on all the comparison sites, try young driver specific sites, try those not on comparison sites.

If you can avoid paying monthly, by getting a 0% credit card and paying that off instead over the year you'll save about 25%.

Don't try to impress you mates when they 1st get in the car or try to egg you on.

Enjoy being shafted at the petrol pumps, by the insurers, by the government and garages.

But my main tip would be to learn to carry out basic maintenance such as oil and filter changes(will save you money in the long run), changin light bulbs, how to change the tyre, mechanical knowledge is all good and you can always build on it saving more money as you get more experience i.e. a garage may charge in excess of £150 to replace all brake pads and discs, you could buy the parts for roughly £80-100(depending on car)

Oh and READ THE T+Cs of any contract.
    Edited by: "mac9091" 12th Jul

jthem

citreon are doing a deal on cars over 3yrs includes all insurance, tax, … citreon are doing a deal on cars over 3yrs includes all insurance, tax, maintenance etc. cheaper than buying a car and insuring it and maintaining it and after 3 yrs you have a nice lump of NCB

jthem

Bear in mind that:

A. There may be a age limit on the insurance
    B. The insurance will not allow you to earn No claims bonus. (Unless it specifically states that it does)

jthem

No good for them: See that in Bold.

i. Citroën SimplyDrive - Personal Contract Purchase
    Citroën SimplyDrive applies to qualifying new vehicles ordered and delivered between 01/07 - 30/09/17 or until such time as they may be withdrawn by Citroën at its complete discretion.
    Citroën Insurance are trading styles of PSA Finance UK Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 01024322 having its registered office at Quadrant House, Princess Way, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 1QA. PSA Finance UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. A guarantee may be required. Excesses apply. A deposit may be required. Citroën SimplyDrive, minimum age 21, 25 or 30 on selected models, maximum age 75. Policyholder must have a minimum of 2 years NCD to use on the vehicle. All drivers must meet eligibility criteria including minimum 2 years’ full UK licence (non-telematics), driving convictions/claims limits. Excesses apply.
    For Citroën SimplyDrive Telematics minimum age 18, maximum age 75. Drivers are required to install the Telematics Box & consent to Data capture & transmission to qualify for insurance. All drivers must hold a full UK licence & meet eligibility criteria including limits on driving convictions & claims. Insurance subject to cancellation if you receive four warnings for poor driving. Excesses apply. The costs of insurance, servicing and Roadside Assistance are included within the monthly payment.
    Citroën SimplyDrive is provided on a monthly pay-as-you-go basis and can be cancelled at any time without penalty or affecting the remainder of the Citroën SimplyDrive contract. Excesses apply. 3 years motor insurance is provided and underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.
    Citroën UK Ltd is acting as a credit broker and is not a lender. To finance your purchase we will only introduce you to PSA Finance UK Ltd, the exclusive provider of Citroën SimplyDrive.

daskapital

Peugeot 206. It's cheap as chips you can pick one up for 1k easily. Super … Peugeot 206. It's cheap as chips you can pick one up for 1k easily. Super reliable. Costs about £30 to tax. Cheap to insure.You can reduce your insurance by being black boxed if you like. They install a telematics box that monitors your driving habits. Although you would have to drive like you were on your driving test for the entire year. No breaking the speed limit etc. No excessive braking etc.

206 super reliable? Lololol

123batman321

206 super reliable? Lololol

is your batmobile reliable..theres always one

tamboss

is your batmobile reliable..theres always one

Its bin going since 1939 so im going to say yes lol. Theres always two

For what its worth, a friends daughter and my parent -in- law both had automatic Toyota Yaris. They liked them and not much went wrong. There are a few imported ones about which might give insurance problems.

Original Poster

mac9091

No good for them: See that in Bold.i. Citroën SimplyDrive - Personal … No good for them: See that in Bold.i. Citroën SimplyDrive - Personal Contract PurchaseCitroën SimplyDrive applies to qualifying new vehicles ordered and delivered between 01/07 - 30/09/17 or until such time as they may be withdrawn by Citroën at its complete discretion.Citroën Insurance are trading styles of PSA Finance UK Ltd, a company registered in England and Wales under company registration number 01024322 having its registered office at Quadrant House, Princess Way, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 1QA. PSA Finance UK Ltd is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. A guarantee may be required. Excesses apply. A deposit may be required. Citroën SimplyDrive, minimum age 21, 25 or 30 on selected models, maximum age 75. Policyholder must have a minimum of 2 years NCD to use on the vehicle. All drivers must meet eligibility criteria including minimum 2 years’ full UK licence (non-telematics), driving convictions/claims limits. Excesses apply.For Citroën SimplyDrive Telematics minimum age 18, maximum age 75. Drivers are required to install the Telematics Box & consent to Data capture & transmission to qualify for insurance. All drivers must hold a full UK licence & meet eligibility criteria including limits on driving convictions & claims. Insurance subject to cancellation if you receive four warnings for poor driving. Excesses apply. The costs of insurance, servicing and Roadside Assistance are included within the monthly payment.Citroën SimplyDrive is provided on a monthly pay-as-you-go basis and can be cancelled at any time without penalty or affecting the remainder of the Citroën SimplyDrive contract. Excesses apply. 3 years motor insurance is provided and underwritten by U K Insurance Limited, which is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Prudential Regulation Authority.Citroën UK Ltd is acting as a credit broker and is not a lender. To finance your purchase we will only introduce you to PSA Finance UK Ltd, the exclusive provider of Citroën SimplyDrive.

thanks for this definitely wont qualify for it

Original Poster

I now have limited my search to Japanese and ford cars . my sister has agreed for me to add her to my policy and she has 10 yrs no claim so hope that reduces it . my search begins . Thanks you all for your comments

Personally I'd say stick to Japanese/Toyota as they seem to be the most reliable and you won't want to be having problems with the auto gearbox as it will be very expensive.

On the insurance side of things, try not to over estimate how many miles you will be doing as the amount of miles you do can have a big effect too.

Also worth considering making the excess in the event of a claim higher as this will bring the premium down too. Could prove more costly if you have to make a claim but if not, you will save money.

Job can make a big difference too so try and be as loose in your description of that as possible if you do something like telesales.

abbss112th Jul

To reduce insurance I believe the newer the car the cheaper it sets!Try …To reduce insurance I believe the newer the car the cheaper it sets!Try compare sites by editing vehicle to see what happens.

I can confirm this. Our runaround car is an 05 Picanto that's on its last legs/wheels. Generously, it's worth about £300. The insurance is £199 a year. I looked at replacing it with a brand new C1 on a decent cheap lease deal and the insurance is £30 less. Same engine size, same mileage etc etc
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2121
      2. Tv choice magazine Issue 3977
      3. Magazine competitions - Issue 38 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1414
      4. Win a Free minion usb stick22

See more discussions