First Car New Driver HELP for 2k-3k

Posted 7th JanEdited by:"Sour-Sage"
Hi,

I'm looking at my first car. Male, Over 25 and passed my driving test just over 12 months ago.

Looking for first car advice. I'm not too bothered which really just as long as it is in budget. I only need it to drive from point A to B. Ideally looking for a car + insurance that totals to 3k.

How old should my first car be and how many miles is ideal?

Any help would be appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
Got my daughter a Ford Ka as her first car and its been great... so would reccomend tho others may not..
Diesel Clio gives great MPG, could be an option for you... would save you a bit over a year
Cant go wrong with a Corsa C, cheap to buy - can be had with low miles in good nick for under £1000, one of the cheapest insurance brackets and parts are plentiful should you need any (pretty reliable anyway - also has a timing chain not a belt = more life IF oil has been changed regularly)

EDIT: I wouldn't worry too much about the age of it just check for any obvious corrosion if its older, miles sub 60k I usually look (have a nosey on ebay and set up some search filters) for but would consider sub 90k if well maintained - in a petrol anyway. Cant really advise on diesel I'm afraid.
Edited by: "Butters" 7th Jan
Vw fix or polo.
Can’t really add anything to what @Butters hasn’t already said, as with any used vehicle you just need to be careful. If you don’t know a lot about vehicles I’d personally take someone with you that does when viewing the car. Personally, I don’t, historically speaking I’ve been ripped off twice buying used vehicles. A Renault Clio I once purchased many years ago pretty much had non existent brakes. Whatever you do just ensure whatever you buy is road worthy.

With the insurance aspect, the fact you’re over 25 will only go so far to reducing your premium, the insurance companies will still consider you a new driver given you passed approx 12 months ago. Try looking at accelerator policies, companies like Elephant used to offer them, helps you to build up your NCD quicker ie 1 year after 10 months of driving.
Edited by: "joeydeacon" 7th Jan
joeydeacon07/01/2020 09:49

Can’t really add anything to what @Butters hasn’t already said, as with any …Can’t really add anything to what @Butters hasn’t already said, as with any used vehicle you just need to be careful. If you don’t know a lot about vehicles I’d personally take someone with you that does when viewing the car. Personally, I don’t, historically speaking I’ve been ripped off twice buying used vehicles. A Renault Clio I once purchased many years ago pretty much had non existent brakes. Whatever you do just ensure whatever you buy is road worthy. With the insurance aspect, the fact you’re over 25 will only go so far to reducing your premium, the insurance companies will still consider you a new driver given you passed approx 12 months ago. Try looking at accelerator policies, companies like Elephant used to offer them, helps you to build up your NCD quicker ie 1 year after 10 months of driving.

Is the likelihood of getting ripped off at a garage still high? I've been looking at autotrader mainly but I have been avoiding private sellers.
I second the comment of a Corsa. I had one for 3 years and it was really reliable, insurance was cheap (well it wasn’t but it was the cheapest it can be, insurance is never cheap!), and it had a decent MPG. I bought an 07 corsa in 2013 with 20k on the clock for 3000. Not sure what the going rates are now.

Someone mentions VW golf or polo. Very reliable cars, but they are more expensive to purchase than something like a corsa.
Sour-Sage07/01/2020 09:56

Is the likelihood of getting ripped off at a garage still high? I've been …Is the likelihood of getting ripped off at a garage still high? I've been looking at autotrader mainly but I have been avoiding private sellers.

It largely depends on where you go, I had a car written off (by a first time driver funnily enough) and the insurance company paid out very quickly after the driver’s mother got involved and admitted fault. The problem being that I was working 200 miles from home at the time and made a rash decision about buying from an independent garage I knew nothing about.
If you want 'hopefully' trouble-free motoring, try looking at Toyota, Suzuki, Nissan etc. Mileage/age is irrelevant if the price/condition fits but 40/50k is a nicely 'run in' figure. You can pick up 3-5yr old motors that have been 'caned' and a 10yr old motor that was someone's pride and joy. If you can have someone that knows about cars (unless that's you) with you whilst you shop around, all the better.

Don't rely on something that looks "pretty" or "immaculate" inside to be 'mechanically' sound. Pay attention to the subframe/chassis and get underneath the vehicle if you can. Check around the wheels/arches and the sills for any early corrosion as this can be costly. Also, don't be swayed by a "bells 'n' whistles" motor with all the gadgets and gizmo's. These things are great but; again; costly if they go wrong. Things like if you can change a simple lightbulb by yourself easily can make a big difference. Some cars now need the front taken off them just to do a bulb replacement.

Just some things to bare in mind, Sour_Sage. Whatever you get, I really hope you enjoy your first car. It's something none of us EVER forget - good or bad! Most of all, stay safe

All the best, Phsy.
Sour-Sage07/01/2020 09:56

Is the likelihood of getting ripped off at a garage still high? I've been …Is the likelihood of getting ripped off at a garage still high? I've been looking at autotrader mainly but I have been avoiding private sellers.

This is really worth while reading.
citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ar/

For your budget choose a car that has been top or towards the top most popular car over the last 5 years or so. (that is the charts for both new and second hand). This will not be the last car you will buy and it will be the first car you sell, so something that retains its value better than others will be a good choice.
I passed my test at 25 and my insurance was £500 a year. My nephew has recently checked quotes on his car (he’s 18) and he’s being quoted £1500 to £2000 a year so I’d say that age is a big factor on your insurance. Do lots of quotes on comparison sites to give you an idea of what you’ll pay before buying a car.

OP, use this website to check any cars you are interested in. gov.uk/che…ory You’ll be able to see if there are any problems that need fixing or may need fixing soon. While it won’t tell you anything about things not covered in the MOT, it can help give you a better idea into the state of the vehicle mechanically and you’ll be able to see how well looked after it has been. As always, try to look for a car with a full service history.

For a first car, as others have said, you can’t go wrong with a Corsa C. Cheap to run and cheap to insure. Two common issues however, are it can leak water into the footwells (this usually comes through the bulkhead behind the brake servo or behind the fuses if it’s in the passenger foot well). Slap on a load of hammerite over the bulkhead and problem solved there.

The other is that you need to keep on top of the camshaft bearings caps. Over time, they loosen so you may need to get a torque wrench to tighten these. (Need to tighten to 8nm on a 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 engine).

Both are easy to do with a Haynes manual and a bit of patience. Tightening the camshaft bolts is easy and a quick 2 minute job. The water leak issue (should it happen to yourself) is again easy, but takes a bit of time.
Edited by: "Biddy2" 7th Jan
One mad thing to think about is a brand new car.
A Fiat 500, when they offer a year or two of free insurance.
Sell it when its two and you will have only lost the insurance cost on the car.
Look for a small ish engine so 1l to 1.4 and ideally 5 doors, fiesta, aygo small family car. Mileage is one of them but if you can find an elderly person selling even better as they usually have them on low mileage and well looked after. Try and get one with a good 10months MOT on it so you can save your pennies.
When it comes to insurance have a look and see if a family member would bring it down, and as it’s a cheap run about 3rd party fire and theft should be alright.
ndyanem07/01/2020 15:01

Look for a small ish engine so 1l to 1.4 and ideally 5 doors, fiesta, aygo …Look for a small ish engine so 1l to 1.4 and ideally 5 doors, fiesta, aygo small family car. Mileage is one of them but if you can find an elderly person selling even better as they usually have them on low mileage and well looked after. Try and get one with a good 10months MOT on it so you can save your pennies. When it comes to insurance have a look and see if a family member would bring it down, and as it’s a cheap run about 3rd party fire and theft should be alright.

Also check the service log and the MOT checker online that will tell you what it’s failed on in the past for MOTs
Get the insurance quote first
Biddy207/01/2020 11:02

The other is that you need to keep on top of the camshaft bolts. Over …The other is that you need to keep on top of the camshaft bolts. Over time, they loosen so you may need to get a torque wrench to tighten these. (Need to tighten to 8nm on a 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 engine). Both are easy to do with a Haynes manual and a bit of patience. Tightening the camshaft bolts is easy and a quick 2 minute job.

8Nm for a camshaft bolt? Do you mean a camshaft cover? 8Nm is nothing.
Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTI around 2008 ish are cheap to buy and there's plenty of choice. Fuel economy is excellent and insurance is fairly low and if I can remember road tax is only £30 per year.
mas9907/01/2020 16:31

8Nm for a camshaft bolt? Do you mean a camshaft cover? 8Nm is nothing.

I meant for the camshaft bearings caps. (have updated the wording I used now) They have to be torqued to 8Nm.
Look for a car that is not commonly driven by younger/new drivers, there won't be as many accidents and your premiums should reflect this. At 18 my first car was a Peugeot 206 van variant and the insurance was just under £1K whereas more popular models were £1.5-2K. Second car was a Peugeot 307, probably not a lot of young lads kicking about in them I would imagine, that was also cheap to insure, lovely, reliable car to drive and super spacious too, miss that car!
Can't go wrong with Honda Civic - very reliable and economic. Engine is bullet proof.
bigwheels07/01/2020 14:42

One mad thing to think about is a brand new car.A Fiat 500, when they …One mad thing to think about is a brand new car.A Fiat 500, when they offer a year or two of free insurance.Sell it when its two and you will have only lost the insurance cost on the car.

For 2-3k-ok.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants