FIRST CAR New Driver Help Please!

Posted 13th Oct
Hello!

I'm currently looking for my first car - I'm male, over 25 and passed my driving test over 12 months ago.

Budget for an outright purchase is probably max £5,000 but ideally less.

However, I keep seeing lease / PCP deals all over this site and despite being confused, am wondering if even this is an option for a new driver?

Sadly I'm completely out of any loop with knowing what would be a good first car.

If anyone can help I'd be extremely grateful. I don't really want anything too 'dinky' or petite. I've always loved the appearance of the Audi A3 and VW Golf.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
It’s your first car. Buy a fiesta, they are cheap and if you buy a decent engine spec are as much fun as a golf or Audi. Once you have a few years of driving under your belt then look for what you want. If you have a 5k budget you’ll get a decent second hand fiesta.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 13th Oct
19 Comments
Have you tried an insurance quote for an A3 or golf? I think you'll be disappointed at the price you'll need to pay as a new driver if you have 0 no claims bonus.
If you want something a bit bigger what about a ford focus or kia rio? I would expect insurance quotes for them to be a bit more reasonable.
I would not go for a lease. I find it stupid for people who are on a budget to get a car on lease. Get an average car for about £5000 or less, finance free if you really need the spread out payment, and you can keep it forever. Get a car on lease, you'll be paying roughly the same if not more for only 2-3 years of use.
Yes you can get lease deals, I had a VW Golf as my first car (I didn’t get a choice, it was more so because a family member gave me it for free!) I didn’t keep it long, it was old, expensive to run and the insurance cost a fortune. I then got a lease deal at 19? For a PCP Vauxhall Corsa, this worked out well as it was a brand new vehicle - more economical and had free insurance for a year. It was a fairly reasonable deal though I think I paid around £6000 over almost 3 years, though I did have to pay around £750 for insurance on the 2nd year and about £550 on the 3rd year.

Ironically, then swapped it for an A3 which was well beyond the £6000 and costs more than £700 a year for insurance. Even with zero claims for 5 years. I love the car but it can be expensive to run.

I’d recommend having a look at a Polo or Golf if I were you, potentially a few years old so the main chunk of value lost from being a brand new car is gone.
It’s your first car. Buy a fiesta, they are cheap and if you buy a decent engine spec are as much fun as a golf or Audi. Once you have a few years of driving under your belt then look for what you want. If you have a 5k budget you’ll get a decent second hand fiesta.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 13th Oct
When I first passed my test, I had to get an absolute t**d of a car just to have some transport while I totted up my no claims. It was so bad it only lasted just over two years before it was condemned. But by that time I could afford the insurance on a decent car.

I can only recommend the same approach for any new driver. Get some small shed for a grand or so then bin it for a decent car when running costs are a bit easier to swallow. It also means you won't be bothered about any scrape or dent like you might on a more expensive car (or worse still, a leased car). You can still get something nice from 15-20 years back that has a couple more years in it, even if you're dealing with tape players rather than Bluetooth for your music!
I would suggest you get a second hand polo/ ibiza/fabia.
I personally would not get a lease on first car.
There is a chance you get a few scratch on bumper as new driver.
First thing to do is get an insurance quote on a basic small engine car -say a fiesta . polo or corsa . You may be unpleasantly surprised . That will help you set your budget for your prospective purchase . Get a couple of years safe driving under your belt in a "dinky or petite car " then with 2 years NCB and a couple of years older perhaps then raise your sights .
Edited by: "rogparki" 13th Oct
deleted90213913/10/2019 19:55

First thing to do is get an insurance quote on a basic small engine car …First thing to do is get an insurance quote on a basic small engine car -say a fiesta . polo or corsa . You may be unpleasantly surprised . That will help you set your budget for your prospective purchase . Get a couple of years safe driving under your belt in a "dinky or petite car " the with 2 years NCB and a couple of years older perhaps then raise your sights .

Thanks
Honda civic
Hmm, you want something fun and interesting? Or something bland and vanilla like a Golf, or A3..?

Small list, but with a 5k budget, you could get so many good fun cars with some hunting.

Clio 172/182
Megane 225
MX5 mk1/2
206 GTi 180
Fiesta ST150
Focus ST170
Vectra GSI
Astra VXR
Edited by: "darkstryder360" 13th Oct
darkstryder36013/10/2019 21:41

Hmm, you want something fun and interesting? Or something bland and …Hmm, you want something fun and interesting? Or something bland and vanilla like a Golf, or A3..? Small list, but with a 5k budget, you could get so many good fun cars with some hunting. Clio 172/182Megane 225MX5 mk1/2206 GTi 180Fiesta ST150Focus ST170Vectra GSIAstra VXR

There are some nice cars in that range.... I doubt any of them are insurable for someone who's recently passed their test!!

(Correction, maybe an MX5 could be fun, cheap and insurable).
I got a 1.8L Focus as my first car at 25, insurance was about £750 which was way cheaper than the typical 1/1.2L corsa, golf etc.
It depends for whom you buy the car: yourself or to impress others. The first option could very cheap while the later very expensive. If you want to get a car with some power and small insurance, then look around for a week and search to buy any other car than anything you've commonly seen (especially those driven by young people).
Edited by: "TobyZ" 13th Oct
As a first time driver I would suggest you get something cheap and cheerful. Something that keeps insurance down, but also helps you get some NCB under your belt. Something between 2007 - 2014.

I recommend the following:

Peugeot 107 1.0
Citroen c1 1.0
Fiat grande punto 1.2
Corsa D 1.0

As a first time driver the above vehicles may cost you about £800- £1500 on insurance. If you start getting some cars mentioned in here, your insurance may be £2000- £5000. So go onto confused.com and do some comparisons, but instead of putting your real details, make a name up, make the DOB a couple of days from yours, Use an address 1 road away from yours..etc.

As for leasing... you never do own the car. Can you afford to give 5k away to lease a car for a couple of years and then after a couple of years give the car back and then having to start all over again? Personally I think its money down the drain, although it seems very VERY popular on here. I guess most people want newish cars and this is the easiest way to brag you bought one when really..you didn't. You still have to pay for insurance, tax, service, other repairs.
sAmeri13/10/2019 17:43

I would not go for a lease. I find it stupid for people who are on a …I would not go for a lease. I find it stupid for people who are on a budget to get a car on lease. Get an average car for about £5000 or less, finance free if you really need the spread out payment, and you can keep it forever. Get a car on lease, you'll be paying roughly the same if not more for only 2-3 years of use.

So your not going to tell them about the potential big repair costs on a 10 year old £5000 car ? Clutch/fly wheel, timing belt water pump, possible oil leaks, suspension and brakes.
Stating they can keep it forever for £5k is a very daft comment, its only going to last a few years at a push until a new driver wants to upgrade and if they dont it wont last much longer than 5 years unless they keep pumping money into it, and if its a 5k loan its no different to a lease but you drive a new car hassle free.
darkstryder36013/10/2019 21:41

Hmm, you want something fun and interesting? Or something bland and …Hmm, you want something fun and interesting? Or something bland and vanilla like a Golf, or A3..? Small list, but with a 5k budget, you could get so many good fun cars with some hunting. Clio 172/182Megane 225MX5 mk1/2206 GTi 180Fiesta ST150Focus ST170Vectra GSIAstra VXR

He said hes a new driver, worst list possible
Mark_Hickman14/10/2019 08:29

So your not going to tell them about the potential big repair costs on a …So your not going to tell them about the potential big repair costs on a 10 year old £5000 car ? Clutch/fly wheel, timing belt water pump, possible oil leaks, suspension and brakes.Stating they can keep it forever for £5k is a very daft comment, its only going to last a few years at a push until a new driver wants to upgrade and if they dont it wont last much longer than 5 years unless they keep pumping money into it, and if its a 5k loan its no different to a lease but you drive a new car hassle free.

Tbf they didn't specify age but true you've got to take into account maintenance and repair costs etc.. The cheapest way to motor is probably buy £1000 cars that have got 12 month mot's and if any major repairs need doing scrap them and get another £1000 car etc.. It's less than you'll pay on a lease, doesn't matter if you damage them etc.. etc.. and as they're old then parts tend to be much cheaper but obviously you're sacrificing reliability, economy and perhaps refinement and safety etc.. etc..

A £5000 car would be a gamble. If it's good and doesn't cost you any money to repair then great but chances are as you've pointed out they're likely to need money spent on them and they're probably too good to scrap so the repairs are potentially costly.
Have a look to see if theres any deals, when I got my first car it was a corsa on 3 years 0% apr and a years free insurance, so saved me a decent amount of money as I also had 0 no claims bonus
I would ideally get an insurance quote first, and maybe check the cars MPG capability.
Insurance quotes can be a game changer.

I would stick to a petrol - less to go wrong with them for an average compared to a diesel.

5k is a lot on a first car. You don’t know whether you will enjoy the car, and will lose £ when trying to sell it on. I have known people to purchase fairly new cars, and still have many problems!
I would personally spend a lot less. Being a new driver, it’s very possible to bang the car here and there.

When buying a car, I would suggest it’s easier to take someone who knows about cars with you to view.
Have a look at what the owners character is like... and this can give an indication on how the car has been treated. (However, this is not always true. I purchased my car from an elderly couple. I trusted them completely. When driving it home on the motorway, problems came apparent)

If you don’t care about the age of the car. Old toyotas and hondas were solid.
I personally would avoid Audi, their upkeep can be expensive!

Maybe spend less and have some cash on the side for general maintenance costs that may occur.

I miss my old Toyota Corolla, I wish I didn’t sell it. Never let me down.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants