First coronavirus cases confirmed in UK

Posted 31st JanEdited by:"CBK"
There are two cases of the new coronavirus in the UK, the chief medical officer for England has announced.

They are both members of the same family.

Prof Chris Whitty, chief medical officer for England said: "The NHS

is extremely well-prepared and used to managing infections and we are

already working rapidly to identify any contacts the patients had, to

prevent further spread.

"We have been preparing for UK cases of

novel coronavirus and we have robust infection control measures in place

to respond immediately," he added.

Prof Whitty said the UK was

working closely with the World Health Organization and the international

community as the outbreak in China develops "to ensure we are ready for

all eventualities".

At least 213 people in the China have died from the virus, mostly in Hubei, with almost 10,000 cases nationally.

There have been 98 cases of the virus in 18 countries.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I think some context is required though as the people most at risk are the elderly and infirm.
We accept that flu is relatively common and people die from that so in reality, although worth keeping an eye on, this isn't much different.

In my opinion
Edited by: "jayhutton10" 31st Jan
Speculator17/02/2020 11:47

Armed robbers steal bog rolls in Hong Kong.I already have 1500 rolls in …Armed robbers steal bog rolls in Hong Kong.I already have 1500 rolls in the house. 1080 rolls of supreme was bought last year during the Amazon glitch. (£1.77 for 54 rolls)Going to buy more rice and tinned food. Have a very large garden so can grow my own. Favourite is shark fin melon (very fast growing). What I am most worried about is the kids at school. Schools expect children to attend even if they have a cough or sneezes. My daughters best friend was coughing and sneezing at school. Then we found out her mum, younger brother and sister had it as well and her mum had recently met a friend who had recently returned from China! Daughters friend said she saw the lady sneeze close to her mum.(edit: Just been told the lady back from China was actually tested and came back negative)I think UK schools should let kids with cough or sneezes to remain at home for 14 days.

Never ever underestimate a hukd purchase for the end of the world. Those toilet rolls will be like gold dust and you’ll be laughing all the way to the loo!
Whoever is coming up with fake news needs to be sacked, prosecuted & jailed. What kind of professional journalism is this? Fake news can put people's lives in danger. Highly contagious viruses don't put distinctions between sex, race, religion or colour.
Edited by: "veedubjai" 13th Feb
148 Comments
Sad isn’t it. I really hope it hasn’t spread but obviously it would have done by now
I think some context is required though as the people most at risk are the elderly and infirm.
We accept that flu is relatively common and people die from that so in reality, although worth keeping an eye on, this isn't much different.

In my opinion
Edited by: "jayhutton10" 31st Jan
We're all doomed.
deleted1175484
Could be worse, could have no milk for my cereal
+ I've got family flying to HK in a couple of weeks. Scary times but trying to not panic. They've reduce/suspended flights to SE Asia but I hope airlines will allow flights to be rescheduled to later dates preferably late April/May.
deleted117548431/01/2020 11:20

Could be worse, could have no milk for my cereal

Now, that IS bad. Quite a frightening thought really...
deleted1175484
Phsycronix31/01/2020 11:31

Now, that IS bad. Quite a frightening thought really...

I pray everyday this doesn’t happen to another soul
deeky31/01/2020 11:13

We're all doomed.

DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC!!!
It's the first stage of the Zombie Apocalypse
It's now time to start watching those wacko Prepper channels on YT
CBK31/01/2020 13:07

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/face-masks-sell-out-across-17657744

I heard that (especially in London), people are buying as many face masks as they can and then sending them out to relatives in China as they can no longer buy them out there.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 31st Jan
jayhutton1031/01/2020 11:00

I think some context is required though as the people most at risk are the …I think some context is required though as the people most at risk are the elderly and infirm.We accept that flu is relatively common and people die from that so in reality, although worth keeping an eye on, this isn't much different.In my opinion

A 2% fatality rate for a highly infectious virus is very, very scary. Nothing at all like normal flu at 0.01%.

I think some context is required though as the people most at risk are the …I think some context is required though as the people most at risk are the elderly and infirm.We accept that flu is relatively common and people die from that so in reality, although worth keeping an eye on, this isn't much different.In my opinion

Context is chances of death is 1 in 50, seasonal flu is less than 1 in 10,000. Be afraid, be very afraid.

We accept that flu is relatively common and people die from that so in …We accept that flu is relatively common and people die from that so in reality, although worth keeping an eye on, this isn't much different.

Nope, this not a common flu and the ratio of fatalities is vastly different to seasonal flu.
Azwipe31/01/2020 13:21

A 2% fatality rate for a highly infectious virus is very, very scary. …A 2% fatality rate for a highly infectious virus is very, very scary. Nothing at all like normal flu at 0.01%.

2% of reported cases. Highly likely that those infected is much greater than the amount currently reported.
Yes, worse than flu
Copperface31/01/2020 13:37

Nope, this not a common flu and the ratio of fatalities is vastly …Nope, this not a common flu and the ratio of fatalities is vastly different to seasonal flu.

No it isn't a common flu, however it isn't worth panicking over. Yet
Azwipe31/01/2020 13:21

A 2% fatality rate for a highly infectious virus is very, very scary. …A 2% fatality rate for a highly infectious virus is very, very scary. Nothing at all like normal flu at 0.01%.

So if this does affect everyone it will only kill 2% of the world population... not really good enough is it, if it was 25% it would be better. Population is getting out of hand...
deleted2100705
Bargainhead31/01/2020 13:40

So if this does affect everyone it will only kill 2% of the world …So if this does affect everyone it will only kill 2% of the world population... not really good enough is it, if it was 25% it would be better. Population is getting out of hand...

Oh hello hitler mk2
deleted1175484
BREAKING NEWS UPDATE: just played Plague and the virus doesn’t win but takes out only a couple million so it’s all good.
Bargainhead31/01/2020 13:40

So if this does affect everyone it will only kill 2% of the world …So if this does affect everyone it will only kill 2% of the world population... not really good enough is it, if it was 25% it would be better. Population is getting out of hand...

2% within the first month
maximusonion31/01/2020 15:08

2% within the first month

Yes but if that’s how many die per 100 and is the average it will still 2%.. it’s not the number of dead but dead per 100...
Reported that the Chinese authorities are majorly under-reporting the number of fatalities and cremating quickly to avoid coverage.
Just seen article where people just lying dead in the streets in China, still wearing masks.
Edited by: "Sharpharp" 31st Jan
Bargainhead31/01/2020 15:15

Yes but if that’s how many die per 100 and is the average it will still 2 …Yes but if that’s how many die per 100 and is the average it will still 2%.. it’s not the number of dead but dead per 100...

I just had an aneurysm reading your sentence
maximusonion31/01/2020 15:30

I just had an aneurysm reading your sentence

Obviously wasn’t fatal your still typing..
39806867-w568p.jpg
I don't matter I just drive a bus.
39806881-FfbVZ.jpgI gather they are taking a 10day break once the job is done
theguardian.com/wor…ews
Edited by: "Wongy110" 31st Jan
Wongy11031/01/2020 16:56

I don't matter I just drive a bus.[Image] I gather they are taking a 10day …I don't matter I just drive a bus.[Image] I gather they are taking a 10day break once the job is done https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/jan/31/coronavirus-live-updates-china-wuhan-death-toll-who-global-health-emergency-latest-news

Noticed the box of tissues, just incase anyone feels like sneezing.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell31/01/2020 12:33

It's the first stage of the Zombie Apocalypse It's now time to …It's the first stage of the Zombie Apocalypse It's now time to start watching those wacko Prepper channels on YT

39807567-tLQRg.jpg
(Nathan Fillion's Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness Plan)

Also see:
[ https//ww…771 ]

39807567-t0VUV.jpg
Toptrumpet31/01/2020 18:13

Noticed the box of tissues, just incase anyone feels like sneezing.

Oh yeah
they have given him some 'protective clothing'
but not sure it is compressive
39808299-wpwKs.jpgalso lost the hi-vis elf n' safety fail
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell31/01/2020 12:33

It's the first stage of the Zombie Apocalypse It's now time to …It's the first stage of the Zombie Apocalypse It's now time to start watching those wacko Prepper channels on YT

deleted1781231/01/2020 18:21

[Image] (Nathan Fillion's Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness Plan)Also see:[ …[Image] (Nathan Fillion's Zombie Apocalypse Preparedness Plan)Also see:[ https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/zombie-apocalypse-who-would-you-choose-2397771 ][Image]

Zombie Viruses
thedailybeast.com/get…nge
All that think it’s funny with gifs etc... just think if it hits and it’s your family.
Edited by: "maccy1i" 31st Jan
maccy1i31/01/2020 20:09

All that think it’s funny with gifs etc... just think if it hits and it’s y …All that think it’s funny with gifs etc... just think if it hits and it’s your family.

All my family are fatter/slower than me. I ain't getting eaten by the first zombie we see.
deleted1175484

All that think it’s funny with gifs etc... just think if it hits and it’s y …All that think it’s funny with gifs etc... just think if it hits and it’s your family.

No one hits my family but me

And worrying about something what might be nothing helps, this happens every few years, it was bird flu before and others. If it is serious nothing anyone can do so you may as well have a lol and joke about it..
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 31st Jan
Sharpharp31/01/2020 15:17

Reported that the Chinese authorities are majorly under-reporting the …Reported that the Chinese authorities are majorly under-reporting the number of fatalities and cremating quickly to avoid coverage.Just seen article where people just lying dead in the streets in China, still wearing masks.

Which article please?
39809962-764G1.jpg
Sharpharp31/01/2020 23:49

Here's one of them: …Here's one of them: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7951059/Man-lies-dead-streets-coronavirus-ground-zero-Wuhan.html

Well that explains it then the 'daily fail'

the guy almost certainly died of a heart attack or similar

seeing as the other thread got spammed
this is factual and bonkers
bbc.com/fut…flu
Deals on masks been removed? Really?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants