First Credit Card

Posted 30th May 2020
Hi all,

I hope you're enjoying this fine weather.

I am on the lookout for a credit card with a large period of interest free payments specifically for payment rather than balance transfers or anything like that.

My credit record is good.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
22 Comments
You could enquire at your own bank....they might give you a good deal depending on how long you have been with them.
You don't need a credit card, it's all a con, read the book "The richest man in Babylon", and you'll understand
If I could suggest anything, it is to pay off in full each month so that you don’t accrue interest.
esar30/05/2020 18:14

You don't need a credit card, it's all a con, read the book "The richest …You don't need a credit card, it's all a con, read the book "The richest man in Babylon", and you'll understand

Lol yeah. Someone who needs credit, is gonna buy a book
darkfrost130/05/2020 19:13

If I could suggest anything, it is to pay off in full each month so that …If I could suggest anything, it is to pay off in full each month so that you don’t accrue interest.

Unless the interest free period is like the 24 month+ ones available. I purchased my shed on a 29 month 0% card. I'll have it paid off by month 29 without paying any interest.
darkfrost130/05/2020 19:13

If I could suggest anything, it is to pay off in full each month so that …If I could suggest anything, it is to pay off in full each month so that you don’t accrue interest.

Defeats the point of an interest free period. Still need to make minimum payments though.

You don't need a credit card, it's all a con, read the book "The richest …You don't need a credit card, it's all a con, read the book "The richest man in Babylon", and you'll understand

Credit cards are not a con. Just pay them off in full every month without fail.

I make nearly £200 per year in cash from my cards and pay no interest at all. How is that a con?
markmc99930/05/2020 20:00

I make nearly £200 per year in cash from my cards and pay no interest at …I make nearly £200 per year in cash from my cards and pay no interest at all. How is that a con?

Most people aren't you!
joyf453630/05/2020 19:58

Credit cards are not a con. Just pay them off in full every month without …Credit cards are not a con. Just pay them off in full every month without fail.

Plus there's the section 75 purchase protection you get automatically with credit cards
esar30/05/2020 20:02

Most people aren't you!

What about the added protections credit cards give then? Especially in the current climate of companies going bust.

They themselves could be worth their weight in gold.
joyf453630/05/2020 19:58

Credit cards are not a con. Just pay them off in full every month without …Credit cards are not a con. Just pay them off in full every month without fail.

If you have the money to pay them off, why do you need a credit card, just another hoop to jump through for nothing
esar30/05/2020 20:05

If you have the money to pay them off, why do you need a credit card, just …If you have the money to pay them off, why do you need a credit card, just another hoop to jump through for nothing

Section 75 purchase protection as a minimum.
Many cards also offer protections far exceeding that.
Cashback on cards?
markmc99930/05/2020 20:05

What about the added protections credit cards give then? Especially in the …What about the added protections credit cards give then? Especially in the current climate of companies going bust. They themselves could be worth their weight in gold.

If everyone did as you say, credit card companies would have gone bust long ago, you're part of the clever minority

If you have the money to pay them off, why do you need a credit card, just …If you have the money to pay them off, why do you need a credit card, just another hoop to jump through for nothing

I didn't say I did NEED a credit card but it adds an extra layer of protection. It's their money you are spending, they do the accounting for you and with things like car hire it's pretty essential. I am not jumping through any hoops - my credit record is jolly good.
markmc99930/05/2020 20:09

Section 75 purchase protection as a minimum.Many cards also offer …Section 75 purchase protection as a minimum.Many cards also offer protections far exceeding that. Cashback on cards?

Plus lounge access (agreed not much use at the moment) With the right card or course
Edited by: "joyf4536" 30th May

I guess you don't get out much. (Normally)
esar30/05/2020 20:20

This guy explains it pretty well …This guy explains it pretty well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zxI5jUuuGM

This only applies to idiots who can't handle their own finances. It does not matter if your balance goes up to 4K EVERY MONTH as long as you pay it off. They are happy, they make a percentage on each transaction, you are happy, you have a 30-60 day free credit plus buyer protection and other benefits.If you can't handle your own finances maybe stick to trading in beads or use debit card. Some people can work the system with credit cards to make money, if you have to ask how - don't.
esar30/05/2020 20:09

If everyone did as you say, credit card companies would have gone bust …If everyone did as you say, credit card companies would have gone bust long ago, you're part of the clever minority

They make money from each transaction.
esar30/05/2020 20:09

If everyone did as you say, credit card companies would have gone bust …If everyone did as you say, credit card companies would have gone bust long ago, you're part of the clever minority

On the contrary. The marketing model is shared commission incentive and increases the promoter"s accumulated positive margin.
Post a comment
@
    Text