Found 20th Jan
Hi,

I do apologize if this is the wrong section.
At the age of 22 myself and my partner have just purchased our first property.Our move in date has been set for the first week in March.

Can anyone give me any advise,

- First things i need to sort/do
- What not to do,

Thanks in advance.

29 Comments

congratulations,
if your having a house warming party, do it before you put down new flooring.
( if your friends are anything like mine were when I got my 1st house)
I'm sure others will give you some good advice, good luck.
Edited by: "shadey12" 20th Jan

1)Take meter readings as soon as you walk in and tell the company providing them. - Same with water if on a meter
2)Then do an energy comparison as you will probably be in on a standard rate
3)Guess by now you have got home insurance for it as you will have exchanged contracts? if not do that shortly
4)Check what you were told would be left has actually been left.

I would probably recommend changing the main lock on the door - The people we bought off left us about 8 keys so we wanted to make sure if they had anymore they were no use - 8 seemed like a large number so the likelihood of more was quite high

Edited by: "winifer" 20th Jan

Original Poster

shadey12

congratulations,if your having a house warming party, do it before you … congratulations,if your having a house warming party, do it before you put down new flooring.( if your friends are anything like mine were when I got my 1st house)I'm sure others will give you some good advice, good luck.

Thank you.

It is hardwood flooring but i would still not be surprised.
Thank very much!

Change the locks.

1. Meter readings
2. Building/content insurance
3. Get on the electoral register at the new address
4. Swap your address over for things like banks, phone, car (you'll need to send the log book for your car to the DVLA telling them the new address) etc.
5. Sort out a new dentist/doctor if moving to a new area

Post office redirection service is a winner. Sends all your mail from your previous address to your new one for about 6 months, plenty of time to change all your own stuff.

Sort out broadband/fibre in case they need to set it up. Let them know your moving in date, so it's ready when you move in.

Good Luck!

Make a will

Make sure you know where the stop cocks are for the water.
Ensure all keys for windows are there
The fuse box/circuit breakers
How the central heating works and if you have a Emerson heater

Original Poster

Delbert Grady

Change the locks.

Do you know by any chance the cost for this?

Original Poster

Delbert Grady

Change the locks.

Do you know by any chance the cost for this?
civms47

1. Meter readings2. Building/content insurance3. Get on the electoral … 1. Meter readings2. Building/content insurance3. Get on the electoral register at the new address4. Swap your address over for things like banks, phone, car (you'll need to send the log book for your car to the DVLA telling them the new address) etc.5. Sort out a new dentist/doctor if moving to a new area

Thank you,
I have saw a few companies will change an admin rate for changing details.... sky ect ect.

Delbert Grady

Change the locks.

civms47

1. Meter readings2. Building/content insurance3. Get on the electoral … 1. Meter readings2. Building/content insurance3. Get on the electoral register at the new address4. Swap your address over for things like banks, phone, car (you'll need to send the log book for your car to the DVLA telling them the new address) etc.5. Sort out a new dentist/doctor if moving to a new area

Personally never been charged for just changing address details, I'd push back on that!

First up, congratulations!!

My advice would be, start thinking about setting aside a bit of cash for when things go wrong. People (my friends at least) have a bit of a tendency to underestimate the costs of home ownership.

If you're going to be doing any decorating/refurbishment, I'd suggest doing one room at a time so that you always have a few peaceful/vaguely clean places you can hang out.

I definitely echo comments about getting insurance first thing, checking meter readings, learning how and where to turn water, gas and electric off, etc.

It's probably worth checking all the suppliers too and making sure you're getting the cheapest possible deal.

Check fire alarms? You might want to also consider paying for a standard gas and electricity safety check - standard in rented accommodation before anyone is allowed to move in, but homeowners can obviously take their chances. You might feel you've done enough before you bought though, or have had/be able to have family members (who know what they are talking about) have a look.
Edited by: "Ellendel" 20th Jan

Oh! One other thing.

Definitely slum it, chill out and sleep there on the first night before you're properly moved in or unpacked. P'raps with one or two friends or family members who've helped you move in too.

That's definitely one of my best and most lasting memories after buying my first place. Having an Indian and too many beers sitting on a B&D workbench, some rolled up carpet, a camping chair, and some newspaper on the floor!

Ellendel

You might feel you've done enough before you bought, or have had/be able … You might feel you've done enough before you bought, or have had/be able to have family members (who know what they are talking about) have a look.

I've know a lot of people (including myself) who when they first open the door to see an empty (probably dirty in parts) house to start to regret the purchase, as you notice all the imperfections you may have missed when first looking. I would advise to ignore this and just get on with it, once you've done some bits to the house and moved stuff in you'll love it!.

I would suggest giving everything a good scrub before moving anything in if you can. Our house has original stone tiles and you wouldn't believe the muck that came off them! Same for the window frames, they had black bits on it.
Basically get a mop, old toothbrush etc and just scrub everything to an inch of its life. - No point in doing a thorough scrub when you have all your bits in the way.

Any wooden floors could probably do with a wax aswell.
Edited by: "winifer" 20th Jan

Original Poster

ianmeats

Make sure you know where the stop cocks are for the water.Ensure all keys … Make sure you know where the stop cocks are for the water.Ensure all keys for windows are thereThe fuse box/circuit breakersHow the central heating works and if you have a Emerson heater

Thanks for this info,
I presume there is a document i need to sign confirming i have been informed everything that works?

Original Poster

Wow, thanks. Great ideas.
Looking forward to eating cereal out a vase already....

Ellendel

First up, congratulations!! :)My advice would be, start thinking about … First up, congratulations!! :)My advice would be, start thinking about setting aside a bit of cash for when things go wrong. People (my friends at least) have a bit of a tendency to underestimate the costs of home ownership. If you're going to be doing any decorating/refurbishment, I'd suggest doing one room at a time so that you always have a few peaceful/vaguely clean places you can hang out. I definitely echo comments about getting insurance first thing, checking meter readings, learning how and where to turn water, gas and electric off, etc. It's probably worth checking all the suppliers too and making sure you're getting the cheapest possible deal. Check fire alarms? You might want to also consider paying for a standard gas and electricity safety check - standard in rented accommodation before anyone is allowed to move in, but homeowners can obviously take their chances. You might feel you've done enough before you bought though, or have had/be able to have family members (who know what they are talking about) have a look.

Ellendel

You might feel you've done enough before you bought, or have had/be able … You might feel you've done enough before you bought, or have had/be able to have family members (who know what they are talking about) have a look.

Thank you.
Sorry to ask, how would one wax a house.... ?

Keep the kettle handy - and make sure pets are in their carriers before anyone opens the door! Wasting hours chasing a pet is not helpful! Good luck.

S hag your partner in every room
Edited by: "perrioli" 20th Jan

perrioli

S hag your partner in every room

thats a bit cruel calling her a witch

Well done, especially at a young age.

Have a huge house warming party. Put a massive sign saying home sweet home right plonk in the middle of the living room for all to see.

Then try to pay off the mortgage as fast as you can.

Original Poster

mutley1

Well done, especially at a young age.Have a huge house warming party. … Well done, especially at a young age.Have a huge house warming party. Put a massive sign saying home sweet home right plonk in the middle of the living room for all to see.Then try to pay off the mortgage as fast as you can.

Thanks everyone.
Is it normal practice to request and be allowed to view the property again to take measurements?
Would this be up to the (previous) owner or the Solicitors?

AndyMcNee

Thanks everyone. Is it normal practice to request and be allowed to view … Thanks everyone. Is it normal practice to request and be allowed to view the property again to take measurements?Would this be up to the (previous) owner or the Solicitors?

Contact your estate agent. He will ask the owner who will normally be fine with it. It is up to them but most people wont have a problem. It isnt always asked but it is not uncommon for the purchaser to do so.

Advice.

One of the first things we did was get a dog, I would suggest the same

Prepare to get stung by your rates bill. When you add up the cost of all the annual bills it will frighten you but you can soften the blow by direct debit. Note that some bank accounts give cash back on a good proportion of utility bills (Santander 123 etc) so worth looking into.

Make a list of all the things that need fixing/ decorating/ changed. Then prioritize the list and work through it. Kitchen first, bathroom maybe. Having said that it's best to decorate upstairs first so you're not treading all the mess through the house. Door plastic covers are brilliant as they help contain the dust. Involve your families especially if they have skills as this will cut down on costs.
Enjoy your new home

Original Poster

mutley1

Contact your estate agent. He will ask the owner who will normally be … Contact your estate agent. He will ask the owner who will normally be fine with it. It is up to them but most people wont have a problem. It isnt always asked but it is not uncommon for the purchaser to do so.

Thank you!
13norfolk

Make a list of all the things that need fixing/ decorating/ changed. Then … Make a list of all the things that need fixing/ decorating/ changed. Then prioritize the list and work through it. Kitchen first, bathroom maybe. Having said that it's best to decorate upstairs first so you're not treading all the mess through the house. Door plastic covers are brilliant as they help contain the dust. Involve your families especially if they have skills as this will cut down on costs.Enjoy your new home <3

Great idea, thank you!

Sort out a prenuptial agreement with the other half

Congratulations.

Go say hello to the neighbours. Always good to start off on a good footing with them .

Original Poster

MrToast

Sort out a prenuptial agreement with the other half

Cynical but smart!
colin4man

Congratulations.Go say hello to the neighbours. Always good to start off … Congratulations.Go say hello to the neighbours. Always good to start off on a good footing with them .

Will do, I hope flowers and a bottom or wine will suffice.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition75856
    2. E: 22/09 (+6) Win £40,000, a BMW X4 and a Gadget Bundle with Good Morning B…88
    3. Magazine competitions - Issue 43 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
    4. Win free gin for a year99

See more discussions