First PC Build - Ram ?

Found 10th MayEdited by:"markt91"
All of my parts arrived today but I forgot about the ram. I went for the i7 8700 (not the K) and the Asus Rog Strix H370-f.
My board says the max ram speed is 2666 mhz. Is buying ram that is 3000 or over ok? Will it just run at 2666?
I was thinking of buying...ebuyer.com/789…tzr
Would this be a good choice?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskComputersGaming PC
6 Comments
It will run at the max speed available so 2666 if that’s the max on your board/processor.
If your board can take faster RAM than 2666 then buy it.
To enable faster RAM speeds i.e. over 2666. You need to enable the XMP profile for the memory in the BIOS.
The easiest way to find the setting is on the first page as you enter the BIOS (in the Easy and not the Advanced mode layout).
It's on the left hand side.

Your MoBo should detect the memory and set it up for you.
I forgot to mention, don't forget to download the MoBo's updated BIOS and driver files.
The BIOS file needs to be on a FAT32 (or maybe a FAT) formatted USB stick or similar.
Updating the BIOS always resets it to default settings. Which is a pain as you need to enable/disable all the things you've previously altered again.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell19 m ago

If your board can take faster RAM than 2666 then buy it.To enable faster …If your board can take faster RAM than 2666 then buy it.To enable faster RAM speeds i.e. over 2666. You need to enable the XMP profile for the memory in the BIOS.The easiest way to find the setting is on the first page as you enter the BIOS (in the Easy and not the Advanced mode layout).It's on the left hand side.Your MoBo should detect the memory and set it up for you.

Thanks for the info but the board is the H370-f. I don't believe it supports it ? It says the max is 2666
As said, (and overclocking/XMP aside) as long as you use the correct RAM type (e.g. DDRx) it will top out at the maximum speed that your motherboard can support.
As it's a new build, I doubt you're planning on replacing any parts soon ... so unless you're getting a great deal on your RAM, I'd not got too far over the top myself.
Edited by: "Spango" 10th May
markt9114 h, 34 m ago

Thanks for the info but the board is the H370-f. I don't believe it …Thanks for the info but the board is the H370-f. I don't believe it supports it ? It says the max is 2666

asus.com/us/…VL/

dlcdnet.asus.com/pub…960

You need to read this document as it will tell you exactly what memory is supported on your motherboard. You might be able to go beyond these speeds but these are what are comfirmed to work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants