Groups

First spiders - Now a plague of 200 billion giant daddy long legs are on the way

SuperEd
    Know a few people who hate them!

Warnings have been issued after experts predicted up to 200 billions daddy-long-legs will hatch this autumn.

Daddy-long-legs, also known as crane flies, have had the perfect weather with a combination of heat and rain allowing them to grow their numbers.

It is also expected that a number of the species will be Tipula maxima, which can grow up to four inches.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/128/590x/secondary/daddy-long-legs-351647.jpg

Source
    Source

Trying to swat them like...

https://66.media.tumblr.com/4b060292691d2a8939c91953b7ea93d4/tumblr_mz5rl31UOi1st18yzo1_400.gif

29 Comments

insects lives matter

Original Poster SuperEd

DarkEnergy2012

insects lives matter

oO In b4 everything

Ruined my day! I'm not having this! Haha.
    Edited by: "crisscross" 14th Sep 2016

but if they don't bite or sting why swat it, probably only lives for a week anyway

release your inner Buddhist & love all living things...apart from wasps obviously X)

DarkEnergy2012

but if they don't bite or sting why swat it, probably only lives for a … but if they don't bite or sting why swat it, probably only lives for a week anywayrelease your inner Buddhist & love all living things...apart from wasps obviously X)

Wasp lives don`t matter ?

DarkEnergy2012

but if they don't bite or sting why swat it, probably only lives for a … but if they don't bite or sting why swat it, probably only lives for a week anywayrelease your inner Buddhist & love all living things...apart from wasps obviously X)

Luckily, I'm too scared to swat them! If they remained stationary, I wouldn't mind - it's the buzzing noise they make when they're on the move *shudders*

Original Poster SuperEd

DarkEnergy2012

Release my inner Hadouken, especially on wasps.

don't mind um the cause no harm

I've killed about 10 huge spiders upto now

not on their way they have been here for weeks

I'm busy teaching my toddler not to be afraid of any insects or spiders or the like - though caution of wasps and similar insects is fine, of course. She likes looking at them, watching what they do. I caught a few Cicada's and Mantis' on holiday, holding them in my hand then letting them fly or wander away. She found that fascinating. In reality, an awful lot of these little critters either can't hurt us, or won't unless we're very aggressive towards them. Wasps are a different matter

Edited by: "scrumpypaul" 14th Sep 2016

Banned

Harmless little things. Just make a cup shape with your hands, scope them up and let them out the window.

More food for the spiders then. Will expect some large obese spiders walking / shuffling around the house then.

It's times like this I miss having a yellow pages to throw at them.

200 billion??? Lol seriously? that'll be about 3000 per person in the UK (I'm guessing the story is for the UK)

MrScotchBonnet

Harmless little things. Just make a cup shape with your hands, scope them … Harmless little things. Just make a cup shape with your hands, scope them up and let them out the window.

Oh god no, I really detest them. I know I am a grown woman who should know better , and I managed to fake dealing with them so my kids grew up not to mind them, but I have this overriding fear that if I try and capture the scrawny little things to release them outside , their legs will fall off and I will have maimed them for their short lives.

cchopps

Actually If we and the rest of the backboned animals were to disappear … Actually If we and the rest of the backboned animals were to disappear overnight, the rest of the world would get on pretty well. But if they were to disappear, the land's ecosystems would collapse. The soil would lose its fertility. Many of the plants would no longer be pollinated. Lots of animals, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals would have nothing to eat. And our fields and pastures would be covered with dung and carrion. These small creatures are within a few inches of our feet, wherever we go on land – but often, they're disregarded. We would do very well to remember them.

true knat

oooops typo alert

tinkerbellian

Oh god no, I really detest them. I know I am a grown woman who should … Oh god no, I really detest them. I know I am a grown woman who should know better , and I managed to fake dealing with them so my kids grew up not to mind them, but I have this overriding fear that if I try and capture the scrawny little things to release them outside , their legs will fall off and I will have maimed them for their short lives.

Same with these guys, the other Daddy Long Legs:

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4200452.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Daddy-Long-Legs-spider.jpg

I don't like spiders but I'm fine with these guys. Just leave them, they'll eventually commit suicide.
    http://i.imgur.com/RlwFa2a.gif

DarkEnergy2012

You do realise DE that this whole insect phobia thing is an American(Trump) invention ?

Banned

peteivy

200 billion??? Lol seriously? that'll be about 3000 per person in the UK … 200 billion??? Lol seriously? that'll be about 3000 per person in the UK (I'm guessing the story is for the UK)

Incredible

There are about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 insects in the world. One per cent of this total are ants. Their biomass alone exceeds that of all the humans that have ever existed (approximately 90 billion). There are more insects in one square mile of empty field than there are people in the world..

These are perfect if you have large fish. Goldfish and tropicals love them (_;)

As long as they don't start cross breeding with mosquitoes, I dont care.

cchopps

IncredibleThere are about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 insects in the … IncredibleThere are about 10,000,000,000,000,000,000 insects in the world. One per cent of this total are ants. Their biomass alone exceeds that of all the humans that have ever existed (approximately 90 billion). There are more insects in one square mile of empty field than there are people in the world..

Not empty then is it.

I really hope they got the numbers wrong

I want 500 billion

cchopps

Actually If we and the rest of the backboned animals were to disappear … Actually If we and the rest of the backboned animals were to disappear overnight, the rest of the world would get on pretty well. But if they were to disappear, the land's ecosystems would collapse. The soil would lose its fertility. Many of the plants would no longer be pollinated. Lots of animals, amphibians, reptiles, birds, mammals would have nothing to eat. And our fields and pastures would be covered with dung and carrion. These small creatures are within a few inches of our feet, wherever we go on land – but often, they're disregarded. We would do very well to remember them.

But you should also bear in mind that if more insects had the ability to kill you they would. Without predujice, reason or regret. The only reason they don't is because they can't. (At the moment)

I'd take them over spiders all day

Banned

fireman1

But you should also bear in mind that if more insects had the ability to … But you should also bear in mind that if more insects had the ability to kill you they would. Without predujice, reason or regret. The only reason they don't is because they can't. (At the moment)

It's a work in progress

Took my little 15 month old daughter into the garden this afternoon to see a crane fly close up. I let her touch its wings gently a couple of times. Then it fluttered off and settled a foot away. I think it is important, as well as fun and educational, to let kids see critters like these and learn that they do - in the main - no harm. I also showed her about half a dozen spiders, mainly just small ones.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767501
      2. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7311388
      3. Tower Hill - Explosion reported.. (Phone charger??)44
      4. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17886407

See more discussions