First time buyer question: No gas central heating in the property

Posted 8th Feb
Hi All,

I saw a property today that has electric heating and electric gas. I am confused as I am first time buyer.

I need some opinions from hukd community on what is the advantage and disadvantage with the property having electric heating that doesnt have gas for cooking and heating.

thanks. look forward to hear your opinions.

Update :

thank you all for your response. I am sorry, I think I didn't use the correct terminology. see the photos of the property that I viewed today.

See attached photo. It shows electric heater in the room and electric cooker in kitchen. Do you think there is any advantage and disadvantage with this kind of heating?

3403311-hPFEY.jpg3403311-ve7mj.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
mutley108/02/2020 18:13

it is not that much more expensive on economy 7. it is probably 20% to …it is not that much more expensive on economy 7. it is probably 20% to 30% more expensive.

Nonsense (again)

Gas is around 3.5p per kwh

Economy 7 electricity day rate is about 18p per kwh

Economy 7 electricity night rate is about 8p per kwh
58 Comments
Depends on your usage, electric cooker and heating is more expensive i guess. What type of electric heating? Night storage heaters?
No positives IMO, going to be another 10 years before Electric is viable, maybe okay if you have a spare 30k for solar panels
Gas is far cheaper per Kw

Electric depends on when you're using it most. i,e storage heaters are a good idea if you're going to be in during the day. They usually charge during the night via economy 7 but often the stored heat will be gone by the evening etc.. so you'll then likely require boost or other form of heat for the rest of the evening. So if you're out all day most of the heat is wasted/lost. Also your water is likely to be an immersion heater so can be costly to heat your water, Sometimes that is heated at night on economy 7 too with another element to boost during the day. Electric shower would be helpful.
Is there gas to the property?
Problematic if you have a prolonged power cut.
With Gas central heating you can boost the temperature whenever you want, with electric (storage heaters) that may not be possible.
The positive will be that you have no gas boiler to worry about and service.
cooking isn't so important, as an electric oven is the best type of oven to get anyway. it is better than a gas oven. a gas hob is better than an electric induction hob but i wouldn't say it is deal breaker. the cost difference would also not be a big issue.

the central heating is another matter. electric heaters are more expensive to run and if you have economy 7 storage heaters they are not as bad as they charge during the night when electric rates are at a discount if you are on an economy 7 tariff. they are a bit more expensive than gas heaters.

if the property has gas supply then you can put in gas central heating yourself but if the property does not have gas supply then getting the supply in will be very expensive.

our gardener bought a one bedroom flat and that was electric only. he doesn't have economy 7 but as it is a small flat the normal electric wall heaters were fine as there is not much space to heat up.
Edited by: "mutley1" 8th Feb
Gas central heating and gas cooking are on the way out environmentally, but we are a decade or so away from that.

Electric cooking is ok, but it's worth looking into the costs of electric heating - ask the current owner or agent about costs. I am never sure these are deal breakers though - there's always something wrong with a property that needs doing.

What sort of property is it? Flat? Terrace? etc...
matedodgy08/02/2020 17:58

Gas central heating and gas cooking are on the way out environmentally, …Gas central heating and gas cooking are on the way out environmentally, but we are a decade or so away from that.Electric cooking is ok, but it's worth looking into the costs of electric heating - ask the current owner or agent about costs. I am never sure these are deal breakers though - there's always something wrong with a property that needs doing.What sort of property is it? Flat? Terrace? etc...

Shall I ask estimated cost for electric bills for electric heating? Is there any other question I can ask? Do people prefer electric or gas? If I buy it and after few years if I want to sell, will people think it as a deal breaker as there is no gas central heating?

It is a flat. It is 680 sq ft.
See the photos of the heater on the wall and kitchen electric cooker? Is this the correct electric heater or some other terminology is used for it?
39864698-p4JNk.jpg39864698-mM6Lz.jpg
haa051808/02/2020 17:26

Depends on your usage, electric cooker and heating is more expensive i …Depends on your usage, electric cooker and heating is more expensive i guess. What type of electric heating? Night storage heaters?

Updated the photos in my question. I don't know the type of electric heating.
39864708-KNBsp.jpg
39864708-9R5tN.jpg
Gumbon08/02/2020 17:26

No positives IMO, going to be another 10 years before Electric is viable, …No positives IMO, going to be another 10 years before Electric is viable, maybe okay if you have a spare 30k for solar panels

Is it very costly to use electric as compared to GAS?
I had electric storage heaters in a rental place... they were awful. They'd keep the house lovely and warm while I was at work, then the house would just get cold when I was there so I'd have to run them as normal radiators. And without the night time discounted electricity they were really expensive to run. Of course, they could be run at night to build up the heat, but then I'd have to open the windows as I couldn't sleep in a hot house!! I will never consider electric heating at the moment, it just can't compete with the control and economy of gas heating.

However, I'm perfectly fine with electric cooking. We have a gas hob and electric oven at the moment, but we used to have an electric hob. As long as it's a decent quality one (the one in the picture being an induction one I think which is the best option) then it's great, but even the older grey element hot plates work fine.
esar08/02/2020 17:41

Is there gas to the property?

I will check with the agent but I don't think there is Gas to the property. Its a flat. I have updated the photos in the my question.
ab71308/02/2020 18:04

Is it very costly to use electric as compared to GAS?

Many many times more expensive, 4 to 5 times more if I remember what I used to pay.
mutley108/02/2020 17:47

cooking isn't so important, as an electric oven is the best type of oven …cooking isn't so important, as an electric oven is the best type of oven to get anyway. it is better than a gas oven. a gas hob is better than an electric induction hob but i wouldn't say it is deal breaker. the cost difference would also not be a big issue.the central heating is another matter. electric heaters are more expensive to run and if you have economy 7 storage heaters they are not as bad as they charge during the night when electric rates are at a discount if you are on an economy 7 tariff. they are a bit more expensive than gas heaters.if the property has gas supply then you can put in gas central heating yourself but if the property does not have gas supply then getting the supply in will be very expensive.our gardener bought a one bedroom flat and that was electric only. he doesn't have economy 7 but as it is a small flat the normal electric wall heaters were fine as there is not much space to heat up.

Should I just ask the agent if the wall heaters are economy 7? Will the agent understand ? It is a small 2 bedroom flat.
slimy3108/02/2020 18:06

Many many times more expensive, 4 to 5 times more if I remember what I …Many many times more expensive, 4 to 5 times more if I remember what I used to pay.

Ahh Ok. Thanks
slimy3108/02/2020 18:05

I had electric storage heaters in a rental place... they were awful. …I had electric storage heaters in a rental place... they were awful. They'd keep the house lovely and warm while I was at work, then the house would just get cold when I was there so I'd have to run them as normal radiators. And without the night time discounted electricity they were really expensive to run. Of course, they could be run at night to build up the heat, but then I'd have to open the windows as I couldn't sleep in a hot house!! I will never consider electric heating at the moment, it just can't compete with the control and economy of gas heating. However, I'm perfectly fine with electric cooking. We have a gas hob and electric oven at the moment, but we used to have an electric hob. As long as it's a decent quality one (the one in the picture being an induction one I think which is the best option) then it's great, but even the older grey element hot plates work fine.

you haven't used the storage heaters correctly. you can control the dissipation rate during the day. if you are not at home during the day then you should turn down the dissipation rate and then increase that when you get home in the evening. there is a certain amount of heat in the storage heater so if you turn the dial on too high then all the heat will be gone before you get home.

we used to live in a flat that has economy 7 heaters and they were fine. only problem i had was that during a sudden cold spell you had no heating as the night charge had been switched off for the summer.
slimy3108/02/2020 18:06

Many many times more expensive, 4 to 5 times more if I remember what I …Many many times more expensive, 4 to 5 times more if I remember what I used to pay.

it is not that much more expensive on economy 7. it is probably 20% to 30% more expensive.
ab71308/02/2020 18:07

Should I just ask the agent if the wall heaters are economy 7? Will the …Should I just ask the agent if the wall heaters are economy 7? Will the agent understand ? It is a small 2 bedroom flat.

from the photo, that looks like a standard electric wall heater. our gardener's flat has one like that in each room. it heats up very quickly so it is a very good heater. i would think it is expensive though.

that does not look like a storage heater as they are chunkier because they have iron bricks built inside them to charge and dissipate heat. the estate agent will be able to confirm whether or not they are storage heaters. yes he will understand what you are referring to.
I would avoid electric at all cost.

Takes ages for it to warm up and expensive to run.

Advise is to find another property.
No benefit in electric heating at all unless you change them to new infer red heaters

Budget and new heating systems into the cost of the house , long term you will need it and it will be more cost effective
Edited by: "ashmac" 8th Feb
Toptrumpet08/02/2020 17:45

Problematic if you have a prolonged power cut. With Gas central heating …Problematic if you have a prolonged power cut. With Gas central heating you can boost the temperature whenever you want, with electric (storage heaters) that may not be possible. The positive will be that you have no gas boiler to worry about and service.

Gas central heating needs electric too (to run the pump etc), so the power cut thing is moot, but a (gas hob could provide emergency heat)
ashmac08/02/2020 18:32

No benefit in electric heating at all unless you change them to new infer …No benefit in electric heating at all unless you change them to new infer red heaters Budget and new heating systems into the cost of the house , long term you will need it and it will be more cost effective

Do you know approx cost for it?
I've been renting a property that's all electric for the past 6 years and I would NEVER do it again.

You have to know a day in advance if you're going to need your heating, and the storage heaters don't retain heat through the day to the evening so enjoy being cold anyway.

Standard electric wall heaters are more immediate but cost so much to run.

I can't think of a single benefit to being all electric. Maybe the lack of a boiler? But that's really pushing it looking for an advantage.
ab71308/02/2020 18:40

Do you know approx cost for it?

Infrared I’m unsure but there supposed to be very good as they heat the objects in there room rather than waste power heating the room
OP, the electric wall heater look to be the old fashioned standard type, nowadays they’re more compact and slimmer to the wall. I know it’s your first purchase, but they could be upgraded at a later date.

it is not that much more expensive on economy 7. it is probably 20% to …it is not that much more expensive on economy 7. it is probably 20% to 30% more expensive.

It was more expensive because we had to run the heaters during the day, on top of the heat up overnight. And as for the dissipation control, we had it on zero during the day and they still didn't last for the evening.
slimy3108/02/2020 19:49

It was more expensive because we had to run the heaters during the day, on …It was more expensive because we had to run the heaters during the day, on top of the heat up overnight. And as for the dissipation control, we had it on zero during the day and they still didn't last for the evening.

the heaters we have can't be topped up, you could only use the heat that had been charged during the night. i think it depends on the heater as to how well it keeps the heat throughout the day.

you may have had an old heater that was not very good or it wasn't big enough to store enough heat to last you through the day. what i don't like about them is that they are quite chunky so they don't look very attractive.

Nonsense (again)

Gas is around 3.5p per kwh

Economy 7 electricity day rate is about 18p per kwh

Economy 7 electricity night rate is about 8p per kwh
Its all down to your usage first of all. The more you use the more you pay. Secondly if in doubt i would just ask neighbours of how much approx do they pay, to get an idea of what figures to expect. Again their figures will depend on their usage.
Generally electric is much more expensive to use compared to gas.
If you cook alot, then it will cost more, regarding heating its only for the winter months. Seeing from the photos, the flat seems ground floor, so i will be colder than a flat situation on a first floor of a two storey building.
Last last last, are there any other properties nearby? Is this a really good deal to miss?
haa051808/02/2020 20:09

Its all down to your usage first of all. The more you use the more you …Its all down to your usage first of all. The more you use the more you pay. Secondly if in doubt i would just ask neighbours of how much approx do they pay, to get an idea of what figures to expect. Again their figures will depend on their usage.Generally electric is much more expensive to use compared to gas. If you cook alot, then it will cost more, regarding heating its only for the winter months. Seeing from the photos, the flat seems ground floor, so i will be colder than a flat situation on a first floor of a two storey building.Last last last, are there any other properties nearby? Is this a really good deal to miss?

Hmmmm......yeah there are other properties near by and there is one in 1st floor in the same building. I am still evaluating if utility bills is the only big disadvantage in this property. I have asked the agent to provide me estimate electricity bills...let's see.
ab71308/02/2020 20:21

Hmmmm......yeah there are other properties near by and there is one in 1st …Hmmmm......yeah there are other properties near by and there is one in 1st floor in the same building. I am still evaluating if utility bills is the only big disadvantage in this property. I have asked the agent to provide me estimate electricity bills...let's see.

My personal experience. Do not rely on agents, they are after their commissions. Ask people already living there. Also another good idea would be to go on comparison sites and put in the data and a property address, it will tell you the estimates
haa051808/02/2020 20:40

My personal experience. Do not rely on agents, they are after their …My personal experience. Do not rely on agents, they are after their commissions. Ask people already living there. Also another good idea would be to go on comparison sites and put in the data and a property address, it will tell you the estimates

Thanks. I knew i couldnt trust agents but you gave a fabulous idea about checking it myself on the comparison websites.
I was feeling bit awkward to ring on a random strangers home and ask there utility costs.
esar08/02/2020 18:37

Gas central heating needs electric too (to run the pump etc), so the power …Gas central heating needs electric too (to run the pump etc), so the power cut thing is moot, but a (gas hob could provide emergency heat)

But a gas hob has an electric start / ignition
Kurando08/02/2020 18:46

I've been renting a property that's all electric for the past 6 years and …I've been renting a property that's all electric for the past 6 years and I would NEVER do it again.You have to know a day in advance if you're going to need your heating, and the storage heaters don't retain heat through the day to the evening so enjoy being cold anyway. Standard electric wall heaters are more immediate but cost so much to run.I can't think of a single benefit to being all electric. Maybe the lack of a boiler? But that's really pushing it looking for an advantage.

Yet you have stayed there 6 years
cliosport6508/02/2020 22:47

But a gas hob has an electric start / ignition But a gas hob has an electric start / ignition

I'm no match for you!
ab71308/02/2020 18:02

Shall I ask estimated cost for electric bills for electric heating? Is …Shall I ask estimated cost for electric bills for electric heating? Is there any other question I can ask? Do people prefer electric or gas? If I buy it and after few years if I want to sell, will people think it as a deal breaker as there is no gas central heating? It is a flat. It is 680 sq ft. See the photos of the heater on the wall and kitchen electric cooker? Is this the correct electric heater or some other terminology is used for it?

Presumably you will some form of surveyor survey done? Energy efficiency is noted on some reports, and surveyors are willing to answer questions about their properties. It looks like a really nice newly refurbed flat. Kitchen electric cooker is absolutely nothing to worry about. Electric heating is a bit irksome but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me (although I have rented a very chilly electric heated flat in the past by the sea and that wasn't a good experience - it was on a meter too!).

"Electric heaters are all considered to be 100% efficient, because they turn all the electricity they use into heat, but this does not mean they are cheap to run." (Source: Centre for Sustainable Energy). You don't even have to use it or use it's timer if it has one. Or supplement/use instead a halogen heater. As others have said, it depends how much you use the heating. You can save electricity in other areas, such as LED lighting, boiling only what you need in the kettle, etc.
matedodgy08/02/2020 23:58

Presumably you will some form of surveyor survey done? Energy efficiency …Presumably you will some form of surveyor survey done? Energy efficiency is noted on some reports, and surveyors are willing to answer questions about their properties. It looks like a really nice newly refurbed flat. Kitchen electric cooker is absolutely nothing to worry about. Electric heating is a bit irksome but I don't think it would be a deal breaker for me (although I have rented a very chilly electric heated flat in the past by the sea and that wasn't a good experience - it was on a meter too!)."Electric heaters are all considered to be 100% efficient, because they turn all the electricity they use into heat, but this does not mean they are cheap to run." (Source: Centre for Sustainable Energy). You don't even have to use it or use it's timer if it has one. Or supplement/use instead a halogen heater. As others have said, it depends how much you use the heating. You can save electricity in other areas, such as LED lighting, boiling only what you need in the kettle, etc.

Thanks. Appreciate your response. Yes I will be doing the survey but at the moment I am in a very initial stage and I don't know if my offer will be accepted. I intend to do the survey only after my offer is accepted otherwise I will waste £400 for survey. If in the survey anything worrying comes up...I might cancel the deal.
To answer your question.

There is NO advantage in electric heating. People only have electric heating if they can't have gas. There are many disadvantages though, such as extra running costs, in-flexibility of use and reduced property price or difficulty in selling.
Electric cooking is fine (assuming the hob is induction)
cliosport6508/02/2020 22:48

Yet you have stayed there 6 years

The rent is good, we're saving to buy and I have a lot of jumpers :b
Used to live in an electric only house, never found it a problem personally. BUT I am always hot so rarely needed the whole house heated. Just used an electric fire in the lounge when it was chilly.
Dumped the economy 7 as although it is cheaper at night it is more expensive during the day (when you actually want it).

The one advantage no one has mentioned is only 1 standing charge.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants