First time buying a house - please help

Posted 15th Sep
Hi everyone. So here's the story so far:

- Got a mortgage principle with lender.

- Made an offer on a house, got accepted.

- Sent documents to lender to perform hard credit check and to then set up an appointment with a mortgage advisor to discuss affordabilities and what sort of mortgage we can get etc.

So I'm current sat in limbo - whats the next best thing to do? We have been told by the lender that if we are approved and given an appointment it might not be for about 8 weeks time.

The seller is with purplebricks and they called us today to offer conveyancing etc and sent a quote through and told us to fill the form in if we are happy with it.

We rung the lender to ask if thats the next best thing to do but they have suggested to hold off from asking solicitors to do anything until we have had this meeting with them because for example if we pull out the solicitors may still charge a fee.

So... stuck in Limbo. Do we fill this form in, in hopes that it speeds up the process? Or do we wait 8 weeks for thus meeting and then fill this form in which could potentially increase moving time substantially?

I'm not experienced in this at all so please be polite.
Community Updates
Ask
51 Comments
You need a solicitor to talk to the sellers solicitor and process all the things that they do - takes months, and you will have to keep chasing your solicitor for progress.

*edit: You only pay a deposit to the solicitors, if they don't do anything you get the money back.
Edited by: "Bigfootpete" 15th Sep
Don’t start any Soliciator yet
Find a broker if bank is taking time
Bigfootpete15/09/2020 18:20

You need a solicitor to talk to the sellers solicitor and process all the …You need a solicitor to talk to the sellers solicitor and process all the things that they do - takes months, and you will have to keep chasing your solicitor for progress.*edit: You only pay a deposit to the solicitors, if they don't do anything you get the money back.

Doesn't help my question I'm afraid.

If I fill this form in will they start searches etc before we have had this meeting with the lenders?
Misslovely15/09/2020 18:21

Don’t start any Soliciator yet Find a broker if bank is taking time

If they want it done then they need to get a solicitor asap, they are the ones that hold up the whole sale, a mortgage doesn't take long at all.
First Direct is very good for mortgages - it shouldn't take 8 weeks.
Bigfootpete15/09/2020 18:23

If they want it done then they need to get a solicitor asap, they are the …If they want it done then they need to get a solicitor asap, they are the ones that hold up the whole sale, a mortgage doesn't take long at all.

Mortgage application takes 1 month as I’m in the process. Loads of people are getting declined so a lot of Solisitors are advising to wait for morgage offer then instruct searches

Purple bricks make more money by converyencing and my agent was asking for £500 more than local solicitors
I’m selling at the moment, I found a no sale no fee conveyancing.
Before going ahead make sure they are local, or do all the checks online or via email etc.
Also be prepared for a shock with your first mortgage payment, Depending on the payment date and bank’s mortgage day ie 1st
10th 21st etc. You could pay 6-7 week’s payment. Mine was paid on the 17th, but banks day was the 1st.
so mine was 6 weeks, a big shock
Still not much help guys. I'm worried if I fill this form in it will give the go ahead for the solicitors to start doing the searches and checks... and I haven't had my mortgage advisor meeting/completed the hard credit check yet... any advice?
Start calling around local solicitors in the area you are moving to and get quotes on what they would charge and if they offer fixed fees whilst checking their reputation.

Reason I would advice local is any issue in the area that hinder/require escalation they are more likely to have had dealing with previously and therefore know the swiftest route to resolutions.

Solicitors hands will be tied on really doing much until you have a firm mortgage offer which will also stipulate any conditions required (such as level of survey etc) and that itself will have its own lead time.

Your prep work now would hopefully have you knowing where that will be going at that point. 8 weeks does seem to be at the long point. When solicitors is known and you then have the firm mortgage offer it is then they will start and require all the details they also want (money laundering, checked where source is from etc) and at this point is then they start the searches and on issues found highlight and negotiate with the vendors solicitors and is most common where the delays come.

edit: so in short find who you want to go with solicitors wise in prep but not yet instruct to act on your behalf.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 15th Sep
Bertz9915/09/2020 18:49

Start calling around local solicitors in the area you are moving to and …Start calling around local solicitors in the area you are moving to and get quotes on what they would charge and if they offer fixed fees whilst checking their reputation.Reason I would advice local is any issue in the area that hinder/require escalation they are more likely to have had dealing with previously and therefore know the swiftest route to resolutions.Solicitors hands will be tied on really doing much until you have a firm mortgage offer which will also stipulate any conditions required (such as level of survey etc) and that itself will have its own lead time. Your prep work now would hopefully have you knowing where that will be going at that point. 8 weeks does seem to be at the long point. Which solicitors is affirmed and has all teh details they also want (money laundering, checked where source is from etc) it is then they start the searches and on issues found highlight and negotiate with the vendors solicitors and is most common where the delays come.

So do you think I should fill in this form now or wait closer to appointment with lender / wait until after the appointment? They will be expecting solicitors contact details etc
CaptainZero15/09/2020 18:50

So do you think I should fill in this form now or wait closer to …So do you think I should fill in this form now or wait closer to appointment with lender / wait until after the appointment? They will be expecting solicitors contact details etc

I would tell them you will confirm your solicitors details when the mortgage offer is confirmed and at that point will hand over the solicitors you will be instructing yourself.
Bertz9915/09/2020 18:55

I would tell them you will confirm your solicitors details when the …I would tell them you will confirm your solicitors details when the mortgage offer is confirmed and at that point will hand over the solicitors you will be instructing yourself.

Okay.. so hold off on this form??
No harm in getting quotes for conveyancing... but don’t actively engage a solicitor until your mortgage is confirmed as you won’t need a conveyancer if you can’t get a mortgage. You need to be patient unfortunately, things are taking so much longer than before, I know this from first hand experience having finally moved into my new house 3 weeks ago! Definitely go for a fixed price no sale, no fee deal if you can... my solicitor complained that my move had cost her £4000 in time, but I was only paying her just over half of that as a fixed fee!

If you already know how much you can afford to borrow and how long you want it for, can’t you speed up the process yourself without the 8 week wait by applying directly online or through a broker?
CaptainZero15/09/2020 18:56

Okay.. so hold off on this form??

Without seeing the form it is hard to say - but it sounds like purple bricks are touting for referral fees to find a solicitor for you.

I can not imagine wanting a purples bricks conveyancing solicitors over one with local knowledge. Last time in your situation I emailed 7 local conveyancing firms giving a high level view and asking what they offered.

I then informed the one I liked (set fee coupled with positive reviews) that I would be following up with them once I had confirmation on the mortgage offer.
Question

The seller is with purplebricks and they called us today to offer conveyancing etc and sent a quote through and told us to fill the form in if we are happy with it.

Why are the asking you to fill in forms and take there service ? Your the buyer and they are the seller ?

8 weeks wait ? Move to the next bank you can have more than one mortgage in principle. Try Halifax for instant mortgage amount you can lend

Don’t not what ever you do choose a Solicotors that is Online or over the phone . Find a local solicitor where you can walk in and hand over documents and talk to them “ the biggest and most important advice I can give “

Will save you tons of stress and messing .

I wouldn’t buy a house or sell as house if it had anything to do with purple bricks , I’ve done my own research as one house I seen was for sale with them .

A solicitor will only ask for money for searches £120 approx once offer accepted to start the process £500 I would never hand over until further into the buying process

The seller is with purplebricks and they called us today to offer conveyancing etc and sent a quote through and told us to fill the form in if we are happy with it.”

Don’t take there service is my advice
Edited by: "ashmac" 15th Sep
bigwheels15/09/2020 18:33

Before going ahead make sure they are local, or do all the checks online …Before going ahead make sure they are local, or do all the checks online or via email etc.

Totally agree... definitely use a local solicitor, the buyer at the bottom of our chain caused all sorts of problems by using a cheap northern company - they hadn’t even requested searches 2 months after their offer was accepted and we nearly lost our purchase because the mortgage offer was due to expire (we moved on the actual mortgage offer expiry date!). A local company tends to be more responsive and easier to chase up, leading to a quicker completion time in theory.
ashmac15/09/2020 19:05

Question The seller is with purplebricks and they called us today to offer …Question The seller is with purplebricks and they called us today to offer conveyancing etc and sent a quote through and told us to fill the form in if we are happy with it.Why are the asking you to fill in forms and take there service ? Your the buyer and they are the seller ? 8 weeks wait ? Move to the next bank you can have more than one mortgage in principle. Try Halifax for instant mortgage amount you can lend Don’t not what ever you do choose a Solicotors that is Online or over the phone . Find a local solicitor where you can walk in and hand over documents and talk to them “ the biggest and most important advice I can give “Will save you tons of stress and messing .I wouldn’t buy a house or sell as house if it had anything to do with purple bricks , I’ve done my own research as one house I seen was for sale with them .A solicitor will only ask for money for searches £120 approx once offer accepted to start the process £500 I would never hand over until further into the buying process “The seller is with purplebricks and they called us today to offer conveyancing etc and sent a quote through and told us to fill the form in if we are happy with it.”Don’t take there service is my advice

Basically they are saying because the sellers are with purplebricks it will save time if we go with them too, approx 2 weeks quicker then going elsewhere as all the talks will be between themselves etc.

They sent a quote through to us and then they gave us a lawyer - premier property lawyers. It has like an online form to fill in and thats the one we are a tad concerned on whether to hold off or not.

We don't know if we submit this form if it gives them permission to start doing checks and searches - before we even have the hard credit check completed or meeting with the lender to go through affordability and evaluation etc.

They mentioned we will only pay for searches upfront because it costs them upfront to do them but everything else we don't have to pay for until its all complete - said with other places they might call you weeks/months into work to say its cost X amount already and they want it before completing etc.

Hope this makes sense. I am very new to this.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 15th Sep
My buyer had to change solicitors as choose the same one as me and they can’t act for both of us as thats
a conflict or interest. As I signed with them first he had to change.
bigwheels15/09/2020 19:15

My buyer had to change solicitors as choose the same one as me and they …My buyer had to change solicitors as choose the same one as me and they can’t act for both of us as thatsa conflict or interest. As I signed with them first he had to change.

I don't think we have the same solicitors, simply their house is on purplebricks and purplebricks has referred us to a solicitor to use.

If that makes sense.
CaptainZero15/09/2020 19:09

Basically they are saying because the sellers are with purplebricks it …Basically they are saying because the sellers are with purplebricks it will save time if we go with them too, approx 2 weeks quicker then going elsewhere as all the talks will be between themselves etc.They sent a quote through to us and then they gave us a lawyer - premier property lawyers. It has like an online form to fill in and thats the one we are a tad concerned on whether to hold off or not.We don't know if we submit this form if it gives them permission to start doing checks and searches - before we even have the hard credit check completed or meeting with the lender to go through affordability and evaluation etc. They mentioned we will only pay for searches upfront because it costs them upfront to do them but everything else we don't have to pay for until its all complete - said with other places they might call you weeks/months into work to say its cost X amount already and they want it before completing etc.Hope this makes sense. I am very new to this.

You mean this company with 2 star reviews

solicitor.info/premier-property-laywers-1/leicester/

There doing the hard sell pushing you into using them , I would use your own local solicitor, why would you choose one buy a company they recommend, I would want a local walk in one . Trust me you will be tearing your hair out when your ringing a call centre and being passed around half the office. Local one with your one personal solicitor you can walk in and pass documents. No posting no messing.

I’ve taken out two mortgages with Halifax and last year YBS and not once have I been told to wait two weeks to get an appointment to see someone . Very thing was done online and over the Phone I really would go with another bank as this is not acceptable. You can get more than one mortgage in principle I and three offers at once
ashmac15/09/2020 19:20

You mean this company with 2 star reviews …You mean this company with 2 star reviews solicitor.info/premier-property-laywers-1/leicester/There doing the hard sell pushing you into using them , I would use your own local solicitor, why would you choose one buy a company they recommend, I would want a local walk in one . Trust me you will be tearing your hair out when your ringing a call centre and being passed around half the office. Local one with your one personal solicitor you can walk in and pass documents. No posting no messing. I’ve taken out two mortgages with Halifax and last year YBS and not once have I been told to wait two weeks to get an appointment to see someone . Very thing was done online and over the Phone I really would go with another bank as this is not acceptable. You can get more than one mortgage in principle I and three offers at once

In all fairness to review places, you're more likely to leave a review somewhere if you've had a negative experience than a positive one - let's also not forget competitiors leaving false reviews

That's not to say nobody has had a bad experience with them, I'm sure some people have.

We all have different experiences with different companies.

Am I too late with this though? It sounds like they have assigned us a lawyer etc...
CaptainZero15/09/2020 19:09

Basically they are saying because the sellers are with purplebricks it …Basically they are saying because the sellers are with purplebricks it will save time if we go with them too, approx 2 weeks quicker then going elsewhere as all the talks will be between themselves etc.They sent a quote through to us and then they gave us a lawyer - premier property lawyers. It has like an online form to fill in and thats the one we are a tad concerned on whether to hold off or not.We don't know if we submit this form if it gives them permission to start doing checks and searches - before we even have the hard credit check completed or meeting with the lender to go through affordability and evaluation etc. They mentioned we will only pay for searches upfront because it costs them upfront to do them but everything else we don't have to pay for until its all complete - said with other places they might call you weeks/months into work to say its cost X amount already and they want it before completing etc.Hope this makes sense. I am very new to this.

Conveyancing/property
1 stars
03/09/20 - Reviewed by Anonymous

Diabolical. Has been a nightmare from start and I'd like to say finish but 5 months in on a simple remortgage still no completion. Response times are appalling and overall customer support doesn't exist. Don't jeopardise you house purchase/sale by using this totally unprofessional outfit.

Was this review helpful?
Thumbs up 1 Thumbs down 0

Respond Report abuse

Conveyancing/property
1 stars
02/09/20 - Reviewed by L Barat

Appalling service, rude, inefficient & riddled with basic errors. Cost us thousands of pounds as they didn’t communicate key facts & failed to proactively manage the case at all. “Lawyer” dealing with the case was so rude every time we spoke to her (Courtney Fife) we were shocked. Nobody seemed to care about our concerns & managers also didn’t call back as promised. They made multiple mistakes through the process & added unnecessary delay to this straightforward transaction by their ineptitude. Also kept amending their costs in their favour with no explanation at all. Avoid using premier property lawyers from my home conveyancing as the service they provide is likely to cause nothing but stress. Shockingly awfu

Why I wouldn’t go anywhere near purple bricks as I said before I even searched the people they passed you onto as there trying to put you onto these cowboys .

Thank me later I’ve said you from a nightmare hahaha
We just went with the cheapest online solicitors, they were fine, everything online and instant responses on email.
CaptainZero15/09/2020 19:16

I don't think we have the same solicitors, simply their house is on …I don't think we have the same solicitors, simply their house is on purplebricks and purplebricks has referred us to a solicitor to use.If that makes sense.

My estate agent said use their in house team, It’s quicker. As paperwork moves from office to office not town to town.
Mine is 3 doors away and £300 cheaper.
Whatever way you go it takes time.
No movement for me in 4 weeks, it takes ages and is frustrating to say the least
ashmac15/09/2020 19:24

Conveyancing/property1 stars03/09/20 - Reviewed by AnonymousDiabolical. …Conveyancing/property1 stars03/09/20 - Reviewed by AnonymousDiabolical. Has been a nightmare from start and I'd like to say finish but 5 months in on a simple remortgage still no completion. Response times are appalling and overall customer support doesn't exist. Don't jeopardise you house purchase/sale by using this totally unprofessional outfit.Was this review helpful? Thumbs up 1 Thumbs down 0Respond Report abuseConveyancing/property1 stars02/09/20 - Reviewed by L BaratAppalling service, rude, inefficient & riddled with basic errors. Cost us thousands of pounds as they didn’t communicate key facts & failed to proactively manage the case at all. “Lawyer” dealing with the case was so rude every time we spoke to her (Courtney Fife) we were shocked. Nobody seemed to care about our concerns & managers also didn’t call back as promised. They made multiple mistakes through the process & added unnecessary delay to this straightforward transaction by their ineptitude. Also kept amending their costs in their favour with no explanation at all. Avoid using premier property lawyers from my home conveyancing as the service they provide is likely to cause nothing but stress. Shockingly awfuWhy I wouldn’t go anywhere near purple bricks as I said before I even searched the people they passed you onto as there trying to put you onto these cowboys .Thank me later I’ve said you from a nightmare hahaha

Not really saved me from anything, as there are also reviews saying they had a positive experience.
CaptainZero15/09/2020 19:23

In all fairness to review places, you're more likely to leave a review …In all fairness to review places, you're more likely to leave a review somewhere if you've had a negative experience than a positive one - let's also not forget competitiors leaving false reviewsThat's not to say nobody has had a bad experience with them, I'm sure some people have.We all have different experiences with different companies.Am I too late with this though? It sounds like they have assigned us a lawyer etc...

Your call don’t say I didn’t warn you

Good luck
ashmac15/09/2020 19:26

Your call don’t say I didn’t warn you Good luck

Look at reviews for every single mobile phone network in the country, all negative.
CaptainZero15/09/2020 19:27

Look at reviews for every single mobile phone network in the country, all … Look at reviews for every single mobile phone network in the country, all negative.

I wouldn’t compare a £20 pm phone contract with something involving the biggest purchase of your life . Don’t let me put you off go with there Solicotors ect it’s your call .

Wish all the best on the purchase
ashmac15/09/2020 19:31

I wouldn’t compare a £20 pm phone contract with something involving the bi …I wouldn’t compare a £20 pm phone contract with something involving the biggest purchase of your life . Don’t let me put you off go with there Solicotors ect it’s your call . Wish all the best on the purchase

My point is, even John Lewis (known for having fantastic customer service) is filled with negative reviews online

Thank you for wishing me all the best. Its just one of those things, ill either have a terrible experience or it'll go well, and can only hope it'll go well like we do with all things in life.
Do not use Premier Property Lawyers. Any issues with the conveyancing and it will grind to a halt and they will say they can no longer act - just one example.

Go with a local firm of Solicitors who will set out their charges in writing with all extras and VAT clearly listed. Online ones will add in extras galore and are a nightmare for qualified legal 'people' to deal with.
JimboParrot15/09/2020 20:05

Do not use Premier Property Lawyers. Any issues with the conveyancing and …Do not use Premier Property Lawyers. Any issues with the conveyancing and it will grind to a halt and they will say they can no longer act - just one example.Go with a local firm of Solicitors who will set out their charges in writing with all extras and VAT clearly listed. Online ones will add in extras galore and are a nightmare for qualified legal 'people' to deal with.

Is this from experience?

The quote we got from purplebricks is around £1400 including VAT which sounds like no hidden charges personally but unsure due to lack of experience.

How do I... "stop" going with them as it sounds like they have been assigned to us?
I have replied, but it is under review for some reason?
Yes. I know someone whose first job after graduating was as a paralegal in a conveyancing department of a local solicitors. The stories he told when they were mentioned, or their many other names, were pretty grim. £1400 is enough to pay, but does include VAT, whereas most quotes it is added on.

Ring round local firms tomorrow - they will give you a price usually based upon the sale price. If you don't sign any forms then, I presume, they cannot proceed. You should get a Sales Memorandum which will give details as to yours and the sellers' solicitors.
Very surprised that you haven't sought advice before now if you are a first time buyer.
This is the biggest commitment you are ever likely to make.
jaketheplumber15/09/2020 20:29

Very surprised that you haven't sought advice before now if you are a …Very surprised that you haven't sought advice before now if you are a first time buyer. This is the biggest commitment you are ever likely to make.

Of course we have parents that have mortgages so we are going off their experiences too but also I'm quite tech savvy and able to look up and research a lot of stuff just have lack of actual experience in doing things and this particular thing is not coming up anywhere, just seemed to get mixed answers.

I think I'll just call purplebricks tomorrow morning and ask what this form does and if it gives them the go ahead to start searches etc, if it doesn't and it just registers us to the system or something then ill fill it in, all whilst explaining we still haven't had the hard credit check by the lender and therefore haven't had the meeting where they discuss the best mortgage for us etc.

Can only assume that's the best way forward.
Edited by: "CaptainZero" 15th Sep
I really wouldn't complete the form. Get some quotes so you have some idea as to the cost of the conveyancing. What is the purchase price (roughly)?
Post a comment
@
    Text