First Time Car Tax

Hi I'm going buying my first car this weekend and will need to tax it. it will be my first time taxing a car in the UK.
I will be buying from a garage.
is it as basic as going online, taxing and driving away ?

9 Comments

yep ..
aslong as u have valid insurance & a mot ( if it's older than 3 years)

Do it at the garage usually

Yep usually a garage will tax the car for you before you collect it.

CyDoNiA

Yep usually a garage will tax the car for you before you collect it.

How will the garage know all the direct debit details, op just use your phone or tablet to access the internet and sort your tax out there and then before leaving the garage, if you dont have access to the internet then im sure the garage will allow you to use their computer to tax your car, easy process will only take a couple of mins

ding

How will the garage know all the direct debit details, op just use your … How will the garage know all the direct debit details, op just use your phone or tablet to access the internet and sort your tax out there and then before leaving the garage, if you dont have access to the internet then im sure the garage will allow you to use their computer to tax your car, easy process will only take a couple of mins

They dont need direct debit details. You can pay by card or at selected post offices cash.
Lots of garages do it for you ie thecarpeople.
Id see if garage can sort it before you get there so you get off quicker

I would NEVER buy a car from a garage and expect to drive it away the same day. That is what I would call an impulse buy. By ball means shop around for a car, pick out one you like, test drive it etc etc. See what the garage can do for in terms of extras and service that involves no more money and take it from there.
If you have to, return home and tax it online and then take delivery afterwards. Why not get the garage to deliver it to you? They can do it on "trade plates" and thyen you can either tax it at your convenience or declare it SORN. Remember you will get the V5C to do a lot of this.

tardytortoise

I would NEVER buy a car from a garage and expect to drive it away the … I would NEVER buy a car from a garage and expect to drive it away the same day. That is what I would call an impulse buy. By ball means shop around for a car, pick out one you like, test drive it etc etc. See what the garage can do for in terms of extras and service that involves no more money and take it from there.If you have to, return home and tax it online and then take delivery afterwards. Why not get the garage to deliver it to you? They can do it on "trade plates" and thyen you can either tax it at your convenience or declare it SORN. Remember you will get the V5C to do a lot of this.

He never suggested he hadn't done all of the obvious things you mention. Chill out.

You can do it at your local post office if you like too mate, but be advised it runs per 12 calendar months, therefore buying it this weekend will mean you will only receive 11 months and 1 week.

This is a bitter pill to swallow, I found this out recently myself when buying it 3 days before the end of the month! oO

tardytortoise

I would NEVER buy a car from a garage and expect to drive it away the … I would NEVER buy a car from a garage and expect to drive it away the same day. That is what I would call an impulse buy. By ball means shop around for a car, pick out one you like, test drive it etc etc. See what the garage can do for in terms of extras and service that involves no more money and take it from there.If you have to, return home and tax it online and then take delivery afterwards. Why not get the garage to deliver it to you? They can do it on "trade plates" and thyen you can either tax it at your convenience or declare it SORN. Remember you will get the V5C to do a lot of this.

Quite a few garages have the car prepped ready for delivery with current mot and serviced
Oh and new keeper will receive the v5c/2 , the green slip to tax it with the 12 digit reference number
Also a garage can tax it at your expence as long as its insured
They will add this to the sale bill
Or you can do it at the garage if you wants to pay monthly
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 18th Aug 2016

ding

How will the garage know all the direct debit details, op just use your … How will the garage know all the direct debit details, op just use your phone or tablet to access the internet and sort your tax out there and then before leaving the garage, if you dont have access to the internet then im sure the garage will allow you to use their computer to tax your car, easy process will only take a couple of mins

​I wouldn't buy a car without some sort of car tax being included in the price be it 6 or 12 month get some extras thrown in..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Help choosing an Android box please.11
    2. Can you change the battery on the newer style Oral B 4000 toothbrush?812
    3. samsung s7 edge lcd -rose gold (pink)35
    4. What dog food do your feed your dog2232

See more discussions