First time selling on ebay

Found 20th Apr
I sold some clothes for around 80£ on ebay as it was a new account I opened the buyer was somehow able to cancel the payment from their end after I posted the goods. What can I do
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
Nothing. Ypu should have waited ubtil payment cleared in ypur paypal. Speak to ebay.
master108 m ago

Nothing. Ypu should have waited ubtil payment cleared in ypur paypal. …Nothing. Ypu should have waited ubtil payment cleared in ypur paypal. Speak to ebay.

It was cleared
Go knock on their door one evening and see the look on their face Then threaten to call the Police
What does it say in PayPal?. Maybe funds have been put on hold as you're new.
ScubaDudes30 s ago

What does it say in PayPal?. Maybe funds have been put on hold as you're …What does it say in PayPal?. Maybe funds have been put on hold as you're new.

They've cancelled it
You'll need to contact PayPal then for more info. Can't see how they cancelled it unless it was unauthorised use.
coventgamer15 m ago

They've cancelled it

Contact eBay they have a phone number
They can't cancel. When you paid you've paid. Buyer can't pay then change their mind and get money back. EBay would be a complete mess if this was the case. You get an email from PayPal (not ebay) to say they have paid. You should have 2 emails. One from ebay to say item sold and the important one from PayPal to say buyer has paid. Then you post. The only way I know to cancel a purchase is to not pay or contact the seller and give a reason and ask for refund.. Well that's my understanding. If your new to ebay why are you jumping in the deep end. Buy a few small items and get a feel for how it works before you go selling. Contact PayPal for clarification and log in your PayPal account and see what's happening. Not your eBay account, your PayPal account. Maybe money is still there?
Edited by: "wayners" 20th Apr
artnada38 m ago

Go knock on their door one evening and see the look on their face Then …Go knock on their door one evening and see the look on their face Then threaten to call the Police

Civil matter so police couldn't and wouldn't do anything. Would have to go to small claims etc.
You need to find out what exactly has happened and then we could try and help.

There is a chat facility on eBay. Have them look at the transaction and clarify what has happened.

As far as I know, a payment can't be cancelled just like that. Buyer has to open a case for a refund or request cancellation of the transaction.

To me anyway it sounds like the funds might be on hold as you're a new seller... They will be released when the buyer receives the goods and leaves positive feedback or after 21 days.

paypal.com/us/…377
Edited by: "hearts22" 20th Apr
MIDURIX2 h, 18 m ago

Civil matter so police couldn't and wouldn't do anything. Would have to go …Civil matter so police couldn't and wouldn't do anything. Would have to go to small claims etc.

If it is theft or fraud (2 possabilities albeit think more likely eBay placed on hold) then it isn't civil but criminal law.

Beyond getting a crime number though it would not be high on the agenda from the police.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 20th Apr
Welcome to eBay

Where we will go against every seller in disputes no matter what happened

I hate eBay with a passion and PayPal
So you sold a jumper for £80.00 the buyer gave you the money then you dispatched the item.

That’s how it normally works but let’s get this clear you sent the let’s call it’s item and the buyer cancelled the order and took his money back from your Paypal account without your authorisation, how does that work and why did you send it if the money didn’t come in your hands first.

The address you sent it to have you tried knocking on their door or give me the address I’ll sort it for you and give your jumper back
Please give us a step by step account of what happened, E. G.

Buyer won item on EBay
Buyer paid by Paypal (confirmed by Ebay and PayPal)
You dispatched item
You received notification the transaction was cancelled
The money wasn't in your PayPal account

That sounds like what has happened from what you've written, but it can't happen like that. Did the buyer pay? Are you sure they paid? If you received an email that they paid, are you sure that came from PayPal / Ebay, not spoofed from the buyer to look like a genuine payment? Also, if the buyer requested a cancellation (or opened a case that something was wrong) you get sent a message and get a chance to respond. Has this happened? If not, have you received another spoofed email saying its been cancelled?

This may not be the case, but the only sequence of events that I can think of that works (unless you've received a lot more emails that we don't currently know about) is:

Buyer buys item
Buyer sends you spoof email confirming payment and giving despatch details
You despatch
Buyer receives and sends a spoof cancellation email

Even if the above happened you'd still have an open transaction on Ebay, but short of getting a non payment strike on the buyers (duplicate) account there's not much you can do outside the civil court (and although you've got a name and address, you can't prove the name you sent the goods to is involved).

Please fill us in on some of the blanks, and we might be able to help a bit more!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants