First you have won - then you haven't!

Found 30th Jan 2009
Just wondered if anyone had any knowledge or thoughts on the following.

I received a letter from Healthy Magazine (the Magazine produced by/for Holland and Barrett) to say "Congratulations! - I had won a prize worth £200 in their competition" The prize was a lightbox - and I was really pleased and in fact emailed them and said I was really looking forward to getting it.

Came home today to a msg asking me to call - seems they made a mistake - the winners letter was sent to all 7 people instead of just to 1 and a runner up prize letter to 6. Guess what - I am a runner up and get a measly light bulb and by way of consolation - two free issues (£1.50 each) of their magazine.

Not only do I think that's a pretty poor deal and reflects badly on both the magazine company and Holland & Barrett, but I wondered how I stand legally having received this letter and then not the prize?

Any comments gratefully received -has this happened to anyone else before? or are any of the other five on HUKD?

SH

1. Misc
  2. Haven
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Haven
10 Comments

Mistakes happen

Talk to Citizens advice. *Hugs SmoochieHoney* What a waste of your time and hope!

Not much in the way of legal rights in this scenario - free competition, no contractual rights. Try argueing they owed a duty of care to you as a customer, and that it was negligent of them to make said mistake, and thus should send the item (or a check for £200) as recompense. Might not work, but worth the price of a stamp trying.

Banned

seancampbell;4232636

Not much in the way of legal rights in this scenario - free competition, … Not much in the way of legal rights in this scenario - free competition, no contractual rights. Try argueing they owed a duty of care to you as a customer, and that it was negligent of them to make said mistake, and thus should send the item (or a check for £200) as recompense. Might not work, but worth the price of a stamp trying.

+1 i agree

Banned

~ Winning anything now a days is rare !! But from £200 down to 2 free magazines is horrible !!.....You must be gutted!!

My Missus got an email from a health informing her that on Saturday they would have "The Rapist" at their site.

Quickly followed by another email apologising and explaining they would actually have a "Therapist" in lol

Original Poster

Lol dmccabe - thanks - at least that made me laugh!

Yes - I know its human error but would have thought the company could do better than they have. Plus - surely checking 7 letters (they don't have that many competitions - one an issue I think) that they are so overwhelmed sending out winners letters!

Harrumph... lol

SH

Banned

dmccabe;4232804

My Missus got an email from a health informing her that on Saturday they … My Missus got an email from a health informing her that on Saturday they would have "The Rapist" at their site.Quickly followed by another email apologising and explaining they would actually have a "Therapist" in lol

NO!!!!...................That's bad!!!: w00t:

I had a message on a church saying " We upped our donations, up yours" for about a year. :0

It's probably a mistake done by some intern, let it go.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's this Xbox worth56
    2. Google Home Mini Commands57
    3. Cost effective damp proof laminate underlay34
    4. Arranging a courier88

See more discussions