First you have won - then you haven't!

Just wondered if anyone had any knowledge or thoughts on the following.

I received a letter from Healthy Magazine (the Magazine produced by/for Holland and Barrett) to say "Congratulations! - I had won a prize worth £200 in their competition" The prize was a lightbox - and I was really pleased and in fact emailed them and said I was really looking forward to getting it.

Came home today to a msg asking me to call - seems they made a mistake - the winners letter was sent to all 7 people instead of just to 1 and a runner up prize letter to 6. Guess what - I am a runner up and get a measly light bulb and by way of consolation - two free issues (£1.50 each) of their magazine.

Not only do I think that's a pretty poor deal and reflects badly on both the magazine company and Holland & Barrett, but I wondered how I stand legally having received this letter and then not the prize?

Any comments gratefully received -has this happened to anyone else before? or are any of the other five on HUKD?

SH

10 Comments

Mistakes happen

Talk to Citizens advice. *Hugs SmoochieHoney* What a waste of your time and hope!

Not much in the way of legal rights in this scenario - free competition, no contractual rights. Try argueing they owed a duty of care to you as a customer, and that it was negligent of them to make said mistake, and thus should send the item (or a check for £200) as recompense. Might not work, but worth the price of a stamp trying.

Banned

seancampbell;4232636

Not much in the way of legal rights in this scenario - free competition, … Not much in the way of legal rights in this scenario - free competition, no contractual rights. Try argueing they owed a duty of care to you as a customer, and that it was negligent of them to make said mistake, and thus should send the item (or a check for £200) as recompense. Might not work, but worth the price of a stamp trying.

+1 i agree

Banned

~ Winning anything now a days is rare !! But from £200 down to 2 free magazines is horrible !!.....You must be gutted!!

My Missus got an email from a health informing her that on Saturday they would have "The Rapist" at their site.

Quickly followed by another email apologising and explaining they would actually have a "Therapist" in lol

Original Poster

Lol dmccabe - thanks - at least that made me laugh!

Yes - I know its human error but would have thought the company could do better than they have. Plus - surely checking 7 letters (they don't have that many competitions - one an issue I think) that they are so overwhelmed sending out winners letters!

Harrumph... lol

SH

Banned

dmccabe;4232804

My Missus got an email from a health informing her that on Saturday they … My Missus got an email from a health informing her that on Saturday they would have "The Rapist" at their site.Quickly followed by another email apologising and explaining they would actually have a "Therapist" in lol

NO!!!!...................That's bad!!!: w00t:

I had a message on a church saying " We upped our donations, up yours" for about a year. :0

It's probably a mistake done by some intern, let it go.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763950
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213592
    3. Any Xbox One news today?2356124
    4. GOT Leaks again416

See more discussions