Expired

Fish tank help

Found 5th JunEdited by:"FUAARRKK"
Hey, i have a fish tank from quite some time back which i wish to restore. I plan on cleaning it, i've read to only use hot water and nothing else. Is this correct, no solutions at all??

Also i need a heater/water filter, is there anything else i need for a fully functioning tropical tank other than decor? Can anyone suggest any half decent filters/heaters available on amazon?

thx
Community Updates
AskFishPet
17 Comments
A stanley knife blade flat against the glass works quite well when used carefully.

Filters and heaters depend on your size and set-up, probably best to say what the litre/gallon capacity is and what type of fish you plan on keeping.
Heater /filter is. Plus some form of aeration, you can get filters that have a waterfall top which then Aerate at the same time as filter plus the bubbling noise is quite relaxing too.
mrty17 m ago

Heater /filter is. Plus some form of aeration, you can get filters that …Heater /filter is. Plus some form of aeration, you can get filters that have a waterfall top which then Aerate at the same time as filter plus the bubbling noise is quite relaxing too.

If im not heavily mistaken, my tank is 60L (The type that sits on a cabinet, longer than it is wide). I have 0 clue as to what specification heater/filters I need. Can you suggest a particular filter and heater I should get, either from amazon or petsathome? thanks
Definitely make sure you don't use chemical cleaners when cleaning the tank as AngryKelvin said, a sharp flat edge blade to scrape any limescale deposits etc off and a good scrub with warm water should do it.
Most importantly, make sure that you add the correct amount of water conditioners etc and let the tank cycle fully before adding your fish (YouTube the nitrogen cycle if unsure) If not fully ready, an ammonia spike can wipe out all of your new fish.
Edited by: "chuckiedoll" 5th Jun
When I cleaned mine out I used white vinegar first, then rinsed with clean water. I then used value bleach from Tesco just to kill any germs etc.
Then rinsed again with clean water. Then top up with clean water, run an air pump for a day or 2 . Empty that, fill up and it's ready for cycling.
Darzen1 h, 8 m ago

When I cleaned mine out I used white vinegar first, then rinsed with clean …When I cleaned mine out I used white vinegar first, then rinsed with clean water. I then used value bleach from Tesco just to kill any germs etc.Then rinsed again with clean water. Then top up with clean water, run an air pump for a day or 2 . Empty that, fill up and it's ready for cycling.

Got it about the cleaning. Im more concerned about the filter/heater and water treatment. Can you tell me which filters/heater are best/longest lasting?
FUAARRKK2 h, 26 m ago

Got it about the cleaning. Im more concerned about the filter/heater and …Got it about the cleaning. Im more concerned about the filter/heater and water treatment. Can you tell me which filters/heater are best/longest lasting?

You would probably need about a 100w heater for the size of tank at a guess.
I'm not exactly an expert. Pretty new to keeping fish myself!
So many types of filter available, you would need to choose one that best suits your needs really?
As above 100w Heater
Approx 400 l/hr Internal filter or could go 600 if it comes with a spraybar.
Water conditioner ( dechlorinator)
You could start off with safe start ( bacteria) if you want to add fish more quickly.
Here's a few pics. I haven't checked prices etc as I'll leave that you you.

33920470-Txl1h.jpg33920470-wHSkg.jpg33920470-xll2h.jpg33920470-aL0vO.jpg
Tbh you're better off getting a book or reading up on the internet.
Here's a place to start but I'd read a few articles.
wikihow.com/Set…ium
Darzen5 h, 50 m ago

Tbh you're better off getting a book or reading up on the internet. Here's …Tbh you're better off getting a book or reading up on the internet. Here's a place to start but I'd read a few articles.https://www.wikihow.com/Set-Up-a-Freshwater-Aquarium

many thanks for that. This was a tank my parents set up quite some time ago. Reading into it, it seems like a very complex and specific procedure (understandably). Feels like theres so much that can go wrong, I'll prob just go into petsathome and get everything at one place. Probably for rip off prices
FUAARRKK6 h, 46 m ago

many thanks for that. This was a tank my parents set up quite some time …many thanks for that. This was a tank my parents set up quite some time ago. Reading into it, it seems like a very complex and specific procedure (understandably). Feels like theres so much that can go wrong, I'll prob just go into petsathome and get everything at one place. Probably for rip off prices

Have a look round and see if there is an Independent tropical fish store near you as they tend to know a lot more than the pets at home staff, but always do your research before you splash your cash, one local store to me tried to sell me a baby red tailed cat fish, as "ideal for a community tank."

33922649-zqMcz.jpg

But given the right conditions that little catfish would have munched everything in the tank and grown to:

33922649-dsc4a.jpg
DKLS33 m ago

Have a look round and see if there is an Independent tropical fish store …Have a look round and see if there is an Independent tropical fish store near you as they tend to know a lot more than the pets at home staff, but always do your research before you splash your cash, one local store to me tried to sell me a baby red tailed cat fish, as "ideal for a community tank." [Image] But given the right conditions that little catfish would have munched everything in the tank and grown to:[Image]

im near heathrow n there are quite a few fish shops but probably just going to try the ones on amazon until I learn the process.

amazon.co.uk/dp/…h=1, would the PF2 filter be fine for my 60L tank?

amazon.co.uk/Hid…00w, does this heater look fine?

amazon.co.uk/Kin…tor - dechlorinator

amazon.co.uk/Tet…ria - bacteria.

Does that look like everything I may need to get the water started and running. Also would a test kit be essential or can I test the water through other means?

many thanks
The above look reasonable for your tank, and am trying not to sound like a git, but I would recommend your first purchase is a decent fish keeping book and build your understanding of what husbandry needs your chosen fish have. If your near Heathrow go and visit MaidenHead Aquatics in staines and speak to the experts.

Its one of those hobbies, that attract the impatient, who the moment they buy a tank they want to fill it with fish. Which can lead to some expensive mistakes.

An old MD of mine spent 6k on a marine setup, filled it with expensive fish and they all died in a week, he repeated that twice more, before losing patience and selling me the entire setup for £800.
DKLS1 h, 47 m ago

The above look reasonable for your tank, and am trying not to sound like a …The above look reasonable for your tank, and am trying not to sound like a git, but I would recommend your first purchase is a decent fish keeping book and build your understanding of what husbandry needs your chosen fish have. If your near Heathrow go and visit MaidenHead Aquatics in staines and speak to the experts. Its one of those hobbies, that attract the impatient, who the moment they buy a tank they want to fill it with fish. Which can lead to some expensive mistakes. An old MD of mine spent 6k on a marine setup, filled it with expensive fish and they all died in a week, he repeated that twice more, before losing patience and selling me the entire setup for £800.

Maidenhead aquatics would be in.. Maidenhead??

Yes indeed I agree, my father was well into it but ended up leaving the hobby sometime back. I will definitely look into it further, but I wanted some of the gear to experiment with setting the tank up (no fish yet till im sure its set). I know im being rly annoying but before I order this stuff, is there anything else I would like particular chemicals or things related to the water?
FUAARRKK54 m ago

Maidenhead aquatics would be in.. Maidenhead??

I think the original was in Maidenhead, but there are quite a few branches now. Try the Notcutts Garden Centre in TW18. Staines massive fish shop.
I second Maidenhead Aquatics. They are fantastic and have much more range of products and knowledgeable advice than pets at home.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants