Fishing Tackle for Beginner (9-year old)

Posted 30th Sep
I'm looking at fishing tackle for a 9-year-old as an absolute beginner (me too). Amazon has a cheap set like this one: Roddarch Beginner Fishing Rod.

I am torn between the reviews that it's cheap/adequate (in case he soon gets bored) versus spending more on better quality gear (for the longer term). Plus we'll need a fishing license for £30.

We have a well stocked fishing pond nearby but may not be as successful as on our first attempt at fishing while on holiday in Italy where we caught two in a hour.

Any advice on what to buy would be greatly appreciated!
Community Updates
Ask
15 Comments
Try him on a pole, far easier to learn. They are cheap too for beginners. He won’t require a license and you can buy a day or week license and not have to fork out for a full license. Have a look for clubs to join for beginners with some supplying all the tackle for lessons.
learn a few knots.
Margin pole, cheap as chips, fish the edges and still get great fish, for bait if carp just buy a tub of hook pellets and feed the same size pellets over the top, if it's other fish a pint of maggots and you will catch, the ponds these days are full of fish
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 30th Sep
Thanks @englands28 , @Mr_Gus and @Douglas_Birks for kindly taking the time to reply.

Is it best to visit a fishing shop and pick up the shopping list at a fishing tackle shop?

There are three not too far away from here but I'm concerned that if I head in as a novice then I will get up-sold into buying more and better quality gear than I need.

The local pond has perch, roach, bream, tench and carp apparently - so I guess they prefer different baits etc. A day fishing license is £6 and £3 fees for the pond. I will look out for a local club as you suggest.

@Mr_Gus - which knots and for what purpose?
Edited by: "neversay" 30th Sep
get a knot app, its where I floundered as a kid, (3d & free) scouts website probably has one, they should be stylised to purpose, otherwise a few basics gleaned from a fishing site that you can then search for.

animatedknots.com/fis…ots

that has pop ups when you hover!

I was always aware of the damage I could do to catch, so if eating dispatched them quickly, always took a teatowel / plastic bag to help with handling them without removng too much of the precious mucus, consider it to benefit the fish.
neversay30/09/2019 11:14

Thanks @englands28 , @Mr_Gus and @Douglas_Birks for kindly taking the time …Thanks @englands28 , @Mr_Gus and @Douglas_Birks for kindly taking the time to reply. Is it best to visit a fishing shop and pick up the shopping list at a fishing tackle shop? There are three not too far away from here but I'm concerned that if I head in as a novice then I will get up-sold into buying more and better quality gear than I need.The local pond has perch, roach, bream, tench and carp apparently - so I guess they prefer different baits etc. A day fishing license is £6 and £3 fees for the pond. I will look out for a local club as you suggest.@Mr_Gus - which knots and for what purpose?

Truthfully as a beginner I would probably buy the tackle from say angling direct and have it delivered, then just buy your bait and hooks etc from the tackle shop, what I would strongly advise is to learn how to use a disgorger as perch are a nightmare to get the hooks out of
anglingdirect.co.uk/sensas-tele-shark-pre-elasticated-pole

This will do for a beginner, when you get to see what kind of fish your hitting you can change the elastic better to suit them the next time, but a nice 10-12 Drennan carp bungee will allow you to land the small ones easy enough and maybe the bigger fish if you need to...
There is loads of videos on how to change everything and tactics bait, etc on facebook, YouTube when your ready
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 30th Sep
Douglas_Birks30/09/2019 12:30

Truthfully as a beginner I would probably buy the tackle from say angling …Truthfully as a beginner I would probably buy the tackle from say angling direct and have it delivered, then just buy your bait and hooks etc from the tackle shop, what I would strongly advise is to learn how to use a disgorger as perch are a nightmare to get the hooks out of

Thank you. I'm guessing the 4m pole is enough for a 9 year old ? (the 10-12 Drennan is out of stock there).

What do you mean by 'buy the tackle' from angling direct? (Is that the pole, drennan and what else on my shopping list?)

Apologies for all the questions - like most hobbies, the you look into it the more choices there are!
You can buy pole floats ready made up which will get you fishing straight away until you learn to tie your rigs ( pole float with line, weights and hook )
A disgorger for removal of the hook but 99% of places require you to use barbless hooks which are easier to remove anyway.
A landing net and pole. That’s will do you to start, seatboxes etc can come later if you want to carry on the hobby. You can start really cheap just to get the feel for it. Use eBay as some great bargains to be had on used tackle. As said already YouTube is a good place to learn.
You can go two ways. Either a cheap whip/pole or a half way decent match rod and reel.

A cheap pole/whip will only set you back around £10-£15, then it's just a case of bait (sweetcorn and luncheon meat works well), net and degorger.
It will be ok for silvers, but highly likely to break with anything big or interesting (tench).

A decent match rod will set you back about £20 and a reel another £10. You'd need to respool the reel which is another £5-8.
Shot, floats and hooks will likely set you back another £5.
You'll need a the other bits mentioned in the pole/whup
A match rod and basic reel should be enough for most coarse fishing up to some decent sized fish as long as you set the drag right and take your time.

Personally I'd go down the match rod and reel route, it's a bigger learning curve but more fun and will last much longer if you take to it.
neversay30/09/2019 14:31

Thank you. I'm guessing the 4m pole is enough for a 9 year old ? (the …Thank you. I'm guessing the 4m pole is enough for a 9 year old ? (the 10-12 Drennan is out of stock there). What do you mean by 'buy the tackle' from angling direct? (Is that the pole, drennan and what else on my shopping list?)Apologies for all the questions - like most hobbies, the you look into it the more choices there are!

Dont worry, trust me I'm still asking questions every single time, it's a great sport to learn and the peace still amazes me on the bank, what I meant was buy the big stuff like pole etc on line, then the day you go fishing get your hooks and maggots or whatever....
Thank you @englands28@joedastudd and @Douglas_Birks (again) and all. Great advice and really appreciated.

I'm overwhelmed with work and home pressures but his interest in fishing feels like the the right thing to do - to slow down and have special time as father and (soon to be) 9-year-old son.
neversay30/09/2019 19:42

Thank you @englands28 @joedastudd and @Douglas_Birks (again) and all. …Thank you @englands28 @joedastudd and @Douglas_Birks (again) and all. Great advice and really appreciated.I'm overwhelmed with work and home pressures but his interest in fishing feels like the the right thing to do - to slow down and have special time as father and (soon to be) 9-year-old son.

Your more than welcome, what a would suggest is after the first time if he wants to go again, find a proper commercial lake to go to, some of the amounts of fish in them is unbelievable, I'm happy to look for you if you send me a postcode of where you are, however they get busy with us match anglers on the weekend so you will need to ri g them and ask if they've got any pleasure pegs/lakes.... But its well worth it
Remember it’s called fishing not catching and some days can be soul destroying. Trust me I had one in a match on Saturday. For a young un they can be easily be put off so as the above comment try a well stocked commercial. And don’t be afraid to ask other anglers questions, the vast majority are a friendly bunch and will help out. Hope you both enjoy your new hobby and the quality time you both spend together, that’s priceless!
englands2830/09/2019 20:04

Remember it’s called fishing not catching and some days can be soul d …Remember it’s called fishing not catching and some days can be soul destroying. Trust me I had one in a match on Saturday. For a young un they can be easily be put off so as the above comment try a well stocked commercial. And don’t be afraid to ask other anglers questions, the vast majority are a friendly bunch and will help out. Hope you both enjoy your new hobby and the quality time you both spend together, that’s priceless!

This 100%
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants