Fitness band / smartwatch with whatsapp

Found 15th Apr
Just switched from an iPhone 5s to an Mi A1 smartphone (brilliant bit of kit by the way).

I'm looking for a good fitness band / smart watch with call / sms / email / WhatsApp notifications.

I've currently got:
Mi Band 2 - but you can only use the heart rate sensor on demand.
TomTom Spark Music - GPS, music and notifications. This is brill but doesn't do what's app notifications (or email I think).

Is there a better (budget) device out there? Should I be looking at Android Wear?

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
WhatsApp has Android Wear support to reply to messages through the notification. There's also a third party app on Android Wear by Appfour called Messages that supports WhatsApp.

If you have an A1, Android Wear is the best bet
jamie01512 m ago

WhatsApp has Android Wear support to reply to messages through the …WhatsApp has Android Wear support to reply to messages through the notification. There's also a third party app on Android Wear by Appfour called Messages that supports WhatsApp.If you have an A1, Android Wear is the best bet

Is there a good budget Android Wear smartwatch?
luciferslux22 m ago

Is there a good budget Android Wear smartwatch?

How much are you looking to spend?
The Huawei Band 2 Pro supports WhatsApp and other app notifications. It was £45-£50 for ages on Amazon.
jamie0159 h, 11 m ago

How much are you looking to spend?

Maybe £100-£120. Hoping for something I can import from china for half price as seems to be the norm recently
ChrisKaru7 h, 31 m ago

The Huawei Band 2 Pro supports WhatsApp and other app notifications. It …The Huawei Band 2 Pro supports WhatsApp and other app notifications. It was £45-£50 for ages on Amazon.

Now that's interesting. Does it show any of the text of messages? I just found that the MiBand 2 does give me alerts but just flashes up an icon. I'm impressed to see it does all day heart rate monitoring on a device that price
Hello, you need the Xiaomi Pace

the newer version 2 has come out but IMO the original is better for me looks wise pretty identical specs and that, last me 5 days on battery life, have all my notification on there, 4gb storage for music bluetooth to headphones, does tracking of runS AND cycles
whelan1891 h, 9 m ago

Hello, you need the Xiaomi Pace the newer version 2 has come out but IMO …Hello, you need the Xiaomi Pace the newer version 2 has come out but IMO the original is better for me looks wise pretty identical specs and that, last me 5 days on battery life, have all my notification on there, 4gb storage for music bluetooth to headphones, does tracking of runS AND cycles

Yes, though the negative is that it doesn't use Wear OS (Android Wear) but instead, a custom version of Android
luciferslux2 h, 15 m ago

Now that's interesting. Does it show any of the text of messages? I just …Now that's interesting. Does it show any of the text of messages? I just found that the MiBand 2 does give me alerts but just flashes up an icon. I'm impressed to see it does all day heart rate monitoring on a device that price

It just shows a one line scrolling notification - for WhatsApp it says new message and the person/group. No content is displayed.
luciferslux2 h, 17 m ago

Maybe £100-£120. Hoping for something I can import from china for half p …Maybe £100-£120. Hoping for something I can import from china for half price as seems to be the norm recently

Unfortunately, most smartwatches from China have a poor UI (many run a custom version of Android that is not Wear OS).

You could pick up a previous generation Wear OS watch from eBay (brand new at around £120), or you could spend a bit more for a current gen watch with NFC (such as the Huawei Watch 2 which I have and recommend).
jamie0158 h, 13 m ago

Yes, though the negative is that it doesn't use Wear OS (Android Wear) but …Yes, though the negative is that it doesn't use Wear OS (Android Wear) but instead, a custom version of Android

Imo it is better, you can't do replying or as much but this is at the mercy of battery life, I do not want to be charging my phone too much and feel the pace does everything it needs too, you can get any notification on the watch which goes tomnotificatiok center
whelan1894 m ago

Imo it is better, you can't do replying or as much but this is at the …Imo it is better, you can't do replying or as much but this is at the mercy of battery life, I do not want to be charging my phone too much and feel the pace does everything it needs too, you can get any notification on the watch which goes tomnotificatiok center

I've used the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 and, while the battery life is better and the tracker is good quality, I prefer the smart features of Wear OS. Of course, it's all personal preference but OP asked about watches which show WhatsApp text so a Mi Band/Huawei Band 3 won't be good enough.
Edited by: "jamie015" 16th Apr
thank you for your comments. I must confess I'm torn at the moment between the Pace and the Watch 2. I think I'm most likely to go for the Watch 2, just got to wait for a good deal on it. Really appreciate the adivce, thanks.
jamie0151 h, 16 m ago

I've used the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 and, while the battery life is better and …I've used the Xiaomi Mi Band 2 and, while the battery life is better and the tracker is good quality, I prefer the smart features of Wear OS. Of course, it's all personal preference but OP asked about watches which show WhatsApp text so a Mi Band/Huawei Band 3 won't be good enough.

The pace is not the mi band, it's a full watch which shows notifications on circle screen, Google it it's really good
luciferslux4 m ago

thank you for your comments. I must confess I'm torn at the moment between …thank you for your comments. I must confess I'm torn at the moment between the Pace and the Watch 2. I think I'm most likely to go for the Watch 2, just got to wait for a good deal on it. Really appreciate the adivce, thanks.

What is the watch 2?
Oh huweai I think you should watch review of both from them your get good sense 3hich one is better for you ,. There is pace 2 but I prefer the original don't like them bezel type things around both
I had an Apple Watch and it supported replying to WhatsApp messages but basically you could just send emoticons or ready-made sentences... No keyboard where you can type what you want on these devices... So I don't know if it's worth even having the functionality to reply.

If it was like that on an Apple Watch that's s top end smart watch imagine on a budget band/watch...

I suppose you could try dictating the messages...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions