Fitness tracker advice

Found 29th Aug 2017
So the oh has decided to ask for a fitness tracker wristband as Thier birthday gift. I know very little about them so looking for as much info as possible. I don't want to spend too.mich money (probably obvious being a member of this website )
I've heard of the fit bit and jawbone But not really ever looked into them.
I'm not sure what the various capabilities all are but looking for something along the lines of having :

- step counter
- calories burnt counter
- heart rate monitor (preferably without having to purchase extra equipment like the band to go round your chest, ideally it'll just measure the pulse from your wrist)
- sleep activity tracker

Do they need paired with a smartphone app in order to track properly? I wouldn't want to have to carry around both the phone and the watch all the time (although will be in most cases) but ideally the watch would measure without the requirement to have phone on me.
Preferably will work with ant android smartphone (as I may get a tracker for myself too lol) but if it helps my oh has an S7 edge.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

I use a Samsung Gear Fit 2 with my S7 Edge. It works great.
I got mine for £82 from CEX. It was brand new still in the box with all the stickers on it.

currently £110 on Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) for the small version.

If you don't have your phone with you it stores all data on the watch and syncs when you get back to your phone.

It also has GPS so can track routes without the phone and you can store music and connect to Bluetooth earphones.

I use the fitbit charge 2, it does all the stuff you ask, you can get it for £99 usually.

You only need a phone if you want it to track you via GPS. I only use that if I am specifically going a run.

Quite a few people in my family use fitbit so it means we can compete for steps etc in the app. It is a nice bit of extra motivation.

Battery is also great, I charge it for 10 mins while I'm in the shower, that is all the charging I've ever given it and if I am away I don't charge it for 5 days and it doesn't run out.

I have a fit bit too and I wouldn't be without it. Their customer service is fantastic too. I have had mine replaced under warranty twice.

Wouldn't be with out my Fitbit great product only need you smartphone too ipload data ! Silent alarm is also great

A cheaper option is the Xiaomi Mi band 2 - amazon.co.uk/Xia…381

I have the earlier "1" version and worked as well as my daughters fitbit. Don't use it anymore as the information became a bit repetitive - useful to try but don't need to know every day how far I have walked! etc

I've just got the Xiaomi Mi band 2 from gearbest from a deal posted on here, paid just over £12 for it, pretty impressed with it so far.

Original Poster

CoeK2 h, 0 m ago

I use the fitbit charge 2, it does all the stuff you ask, you can get it …I use the fitbit charge 2, it does all the stuff you ask, you can get it for £99 usually.You only need a phone if you want it to track you via GPS. I only use that if I am specifically going a run.Quite a few people in my family use fitbit so it means we can compete for steps etc in the app. It is a nice bit of extra motivation.Battery is also great, I charge it for 10 mins while I'm in the shower, that is all the charging I've ever given it and if I am away I don't charge it for 5 days and it doesn't run out.

yeah think i've seen that one mentioned in a few reviews was just the lack of gps that had me unsure, not sure if it's better to get one with ?
Bobbajob2 h, 11 m ago

I use a Samsung Gear Fit 2 with my S7 Edge. It works great.I got mine for …I use a Samsung Gear Fit 2 with my S7 Edge. It works great.I got mine for £82 from CEX. It was brand new still in the box with all the stickers on it.currently £110 on Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) for the small version.If you don't have your phone with you it stores all data on the watch and syncs when you get back to your phone.It also has GPS so can track routes without the phone and you can store music and connect to Bluetooth earphones.

would the samsung one only work with other samsung products?

little_green10 m ago

yeah think i've seen that one mentioned in a few reviews was just the lack …yeah think i've seen that one mentioned in a few reviews was just the lack of gps that had me unsure, not sure if it's better to get one with ? would the samsung one only work with other samsung products?

GPS is on the Fitbit surge. I've had a smart watch with GPS but I didn't feel i actually used it.

GPS puts a dent in battery life too I would imagine.

It depends what she wants to do with it really, I already take my phone on a run for music so I didn't need GPS but if she does a lot of runs that she wants to track on a map she will probably want GPS.

Gear Fit 2 is compatible with any recent Android phone.

My girlfriend has Fitbit HR. And it is very good, but mine looks nicer.

The Fitbit charge HR would be ideal. Currently on offer around £80. Had mine for 2 years and it does everyone I need it to. Excellent customer services as well

I have the Fitbit Blaze! And love it..

Original Poster

I like the idea of the vibrating silent alarm to wake up.
Is gps only necessary if you are going running or walking?
What about bands that let you enter into a mode for physical activity eg fitness class?

Is anyone able to give a simple overview of how they work, someone I was talking to said something about synching it via Bluetooth to your phone for data stats or sth. Are they pretty easy to get the gist of how to use properly? Do most of them automatically track your activity or do some require more app tapping than others?

Original Poster

Also do any of the bands auto detect what activity you are doing eg, if you are at the gym doing exercises or at a class or out a cycle. Id prefer something that would auto detect if possible, or at the very least you can tell it the activity with a few taps on the watch screen and not have to go to the app.

Original Poster

Right I think I have it narrowed down to:
Fitbit charge 2
Fitbit surge

Garmin vivosmart hr+
Garmin vivoactive hr

Would be interested to hear user experience
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants