Fitness watch addict?

Posted 27th Apr
I love my garmin fenix but have to admit I do get obsessed with the data and if anything goes the ‘wrong way’ have to over compensate to get back on track.
Wondering if anyone else has ditched theirs altogether or any other stories, good/bad
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

5 Comments
Not gone down this route thankfully. What stat tips you into action?
You need to concentrate on the longer term goal, rather than the daily goal.

Not sure if Gamin have something similar, but with Polar you can specify an event that you want to work up to (e.g. 10km run in 3 months' time). Polar will then put together a training programme that will enable you to complete the run. The emphasis is on how long you train for in each session, not how fast/slow you are. (So for example, a half-marathon training programme includes a 2 hour run at the weekend but with your heart rate staying below 125bpm, so to start with you'll be walking for 2 hours until your stamina builds up.) The programme will give you a rough idea of how long it will take to complete the event, based on how your training is going.
If I've got no planned events then I make up events and then follow the training programme - if I have a bad day it doesn't matter. If I have several bad days then the programme will automatically adjust so that my workload is reduced. If I'm doing better than expected then the programme will step things up a bit for me.
I still get obsessed with the data for each session, but I look at it in relation to the long-term goal & let Polar worry about whether I need to train more, or less.
jazid27/04/2020 14:38

Not gone down this route thankfully. What stat tips you into action?

Mainly heart rate and weight, that’s my main obsession, if rhr goes over 38 and weight over 78 kg I go into meltdown.
cis_groupie27/04/2020 14:44

You need to concentrate on the longer term goal, rather than the daily …You need to concentrate on the longer term goal, rather than the daily goal.Not sure if Gamin have something similar, but with Polar you can specify an event that you want to work up to (e.g. 10km run in 3 months' time). Polar will then put together a training programme that will enable you to complete the run. The emphasis is on how long you train for in each session, not how fast/slow you are. (So for example, a half-marathon training programme includes a 2 hour run at the weekend but with your heart rate staying below 125bpm, so to start with you'll be walking for 2 hours until your stamina builds up.) The programme will give you a rough idea of how long it will take to complete the event, based on how your training is going.If I've got no planned events then I make up events and then follow the training programme - if I have a bad day it doesn't matter. If I have several bad days then the programme will automatically adjust so that my workload is reduced. If I'm doing better than expected then the programme will step things up a bit for me.I still get obsessed with the data for each session, but I look at it in relation to the long-term goal & let Polar worry about whether I need to train more, or less.

That makes sense, I think a lot of the data is pretty erratic which gets me even more anxious, some days I can burn 10000 calories and it says I’ve not done enough, other days I can do next to nothing and it says I’m on track!
Currently using the kids as a way to work out if I need to lose weight or get faster.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions