Fitted kitchen help

Posted 20th Sep
hi there everyone,

hope I can get some help, I'm in 2 minds I have a smallish kitchen and was thinking option 1 get a local team in to do 1 for me (depending on cost)

or

buying new doors and drawers to freshen it up probably new wall units and new wooden worktops and re tile it.. and getting whorever i need in to cut worktops and remove and re fit gas hob and sink

do people on here have recommendations on where to go/ buy etc. complete newbie at this this any help is very much appreciated..

thankyou and enjoy your weekend..
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Take your measurements into something like B&Q they will do a plan for you to make maximum use of space get them to cost fitting or just buy and fit it your self it ain’t hard just need right tools
I would go to a local independent kitchen shop as they will probably do refurbs and new installs, you can see what is best for you. I would actually go to a few, they usually do free quotes.
Open house kitchens I think are a good buy at the moment. I work in the trade and get 50% of the list price plus vat. That's normally works out around the same price as Howdens kitchens but open house is a better spec kitchen. Don't have much range and 3 weeks wait time from order to delivery. If you put you plans up with measurements I could work out the kitchen units u would need. Where in the UK are u may help ?. I buy from a company called blackheath products but they do deliver all over the uk. They also sell worktops etc but again it's trade only.
There is a planning tool on the Ikea website where you can put in your kitchen measurements and design your own kitchen by dragging and dropping units and appliances into the plan. It will give you an estimate of the cost for the kitchen at the end and an estimated fitting cost. The quality of Ikea kitchens is no better nor worse than any of the other major flat pack kitchen sellers and is reasonably priced.

Personally, I wouldn't use their fitting service as they seem to employ a range of contractors who sub-contract the work on. Find someone local, by recommendation if possible, to do the installation.
Thank you so much for all your help people currently at work, so I'll get through you all, really appreciate you time to stop and help with ideas..

Kash thankyou for that mate really appreciate it.. near bury St. Edmund's, Suffolk.. I could definitely measure stuff up to get an idea what i need.. thankyou

RChew that's great to know mate thankyou for that... you think I'd hire privately not through a company like IKEA... think I'd get better service that way..

Thanks Rwf and Donkii for your help also gives me other places to think of going aswell..
PLAYBOYXIII20/09/2019 16:23

you think I'd hire privately not through a company like IKEA... think I'd …you think I'd hire privately not through a company like IKEA... think I'd get better service that way..

I found that the basic cost of Ikea installation was very reasonable BUT it's subject to a survey by the installer. And, unsurprisingly, it seemed that everything other than undoing the Ikea boxes was a chargeable extra. The cost more than doubled Ikea's original quote so I told them where to go... I arranged the labour myself and the cost came in about 25% below Ikea's original quote before the installer added on their costs. I don't doubt that Ikea's (or any other national company's) installation would have been OK; kitchen installation is relatively straightforward.
RChew6920/09/2019 17:05

I found that the basic cost of Ikea installation was very reasonable BUT …I found that the basic cost of Ikea installation was very reasonable BUT it's subject to a survey by the installer. And, unsurprisingly, it seemed that everything other than undoing the Ikea boxes was a chargeable extra. The cost more than doubled Ikea's original quote so I told them where to go... I arranged the labour myself and the cost came in about 25% below Ikea's original quote before the installer added on their costs. I don't doubt that Ikea's (or any other national company's) installation would have been OK; kitchen installation is relatively straightforward.

Yeah I think I'd definitely go with a local installer.. easier to get hold of aswell if things don't go how you want them to, plus with a big company they can just keep fobbing you off if they want to...
Im just interested to know what it will set me back to start with.. as ive said it's a small kitchen
My kitchen is also on the small side, 6m2 consisting of 12 units. Units from Howdens all other materials/units sourced by me. Total cost was under 5k
PLAYBOYXIII20/09/2019 19:40

Yeah I think I'd definitely go with a local installer.. easier to get hold …Yeah I think I'd definitely go with a local installer.. easier to get hold of aswell if things don't go how you want them to, plus with a big company they can just keep fobbing you off if they want to... Im just interested to know what it will set me back to start with.. as ive said it's a small kitchen

I've got a medium size kitchen comprising 22 wall and floor units of various sizes. The total cost (excluding fitting) was approximately £6k of which about £2.5k was for appliances.
rimalpatel00720/09/2019 20:04

My kitchen is also on the small side, 6m2 consisting of 12 units. Units …My kitchen is also on the small side, 6m2 consisting of 12 units. Units from Howdens all other materials/units sourced by me. Total cost was under 5k

Thankyou for that mate appreciated, we probably have 2 double floor and 1 single floor units and then a double wall unit with 2 door corner unit..

The units themselves are fine so might just need to replace the doors
RChew6920/09/2019 21:56

I've got a medium size kitchen comprising 22 wall and floor units of …I've got a medium size kitchen comprising 22 wall and floor units of various sizes. The total cost (excluding fitting) was approximately £6k of which about £2.5k was for appliances.

Cheers for the feedback mate, ours only has 2 double and 1 single floor unit and a double wall unit with a double corner unit..

Nothing wrong with the units so might just need to find a place where I can but doors and fit them and then replace the worktops and tiles

Cheers for your help everything is appreciated
Does anyone have any where they could recommend for just buying the doors if I give the measurements to the company?

Then I'll need a good place for worktops and tiles...

Thankyou everyone for your input..
PLAYBOYXIII21/09/2019 09:57

Does anyone have any where they could recommend for just buying the doors …Does anyone have any where they could recommend for just buying the doors if I give the measurements to the company?Then I'll need a good place for worktops and tiles... Thankyou everyone for your input..

If it's just doors you need you can go b&q, take measurements of existing doors and you can get match in size. Only issue is colour to match the plinths.
There is no right or wrong answer, as it depends on several factors.
Are the units in very good condition and is the layout one your happy to keep, as many of the cost associated with a refurb of the existing could be put towards a new kitchen.
Also do you know where the existing kitchen came from as this may help towards swapping doors and end panels etc.
PLAYBOYXIII21/09/2019 09:57

Does anyone have any where they could recommend for just buying the doors …Does anyone have any where they could recommend for just buying the doors if I give the measurements to the company?Then I'll need a good place for worktops and tiles... Thankyou everyone for your input..

Something to bear in mind if you are just replacing doors.....you need to ensure the rebated holes for the hinges are in exactly the same place as the originals, both height and width. Hinges are adjustable so that doors can be hung with the correct spacing but not by a huge amount.
Edited by: "jaketheplumber" 21st Sep
Does anyone know if ikea offer wine racks as part of the fitting?
jaketheplumber21/09/2019 13:03

Something to bear in mind if you are just replacing doors.....you need to …Something to bear in mind if you are just replacing doors.....you need to ensure the rebated holes for the hinges are in exactly the same place as the originals, both height and width. Hinges are adjustable so that doors can be hung with the correct spacing but not by a huge amount.

Cheers Jake, I had actually thought about that because a while ago I was looking at doors and I see a company where you give the measurements for where the holes are for your hinges in your old doors (can't find the website now, which is typical)

Thankyou for letting me know anyway I appreciate it..
hubcms21/09/2019 12:45

There is no right or wrong answer, as it depends on several factors.Are …There is no right or wrong answer, as it depends on several factors.Are the units in very good condition and is the layout one your happy to keep, as many of the cost associated with a refurb of the existing could be put towards a new kitchen.Also do you know where the existing kitchen came from as this may help towards swapping doors and end panels etc.

Hi thankyou for replying.

The units themselves are fine, and the layout is fine so nothing to change

No I cont have any idea where the original kitchen came from
Donkii20/09/2019 13:39

I would go to a local independent kitchen shop as they will probably do …I would go to a local independent kitchen shop as they will probably do refurbs and new installs, you can see what is best for you. I would actually go to a few, they usually do free quotes.

Needs to be 'Gas safe' registered to do the hob. If by any chance you have a lodger or do airBnB you'll also need an yearly inspection and certificate for the hob (and any other gas appliances).
Edited by: "joyf4536" 21st Sep
joyf453621/09/2019 15:47

Needs to be 'Gas safe' registered to do the hob. If by any chance you have …Needs to be 'Gas safe' registered to do the hob. If by any chance you have a lodger or do airBnB you'll also need an yearly inspection and certificate for the hob (and any other gas appliances).

Cheers mate.. I'm good don't have lodgers or anything.
Yeah the oven and hob were installed 2 years ago I have the certificate for that for home insurance purposes.. cheers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants