Fitting a Drayton wiser thermostat

Posted 21st Jul 2019Edited by:"vbnmu"
Hi Guys,
Am trying to replace a Honeywell unit with a Drayton smart thermostat, I've been quoted £240 and have often read that it's easy enough to do, so I'd like to give it a go.
Well am a bit confused, could anyone guide me on how to wire the Drayton please? Pics of existing unit and Drayton are attached.3267640.jpg3267640.jpg
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I did my Hive ok.
But I looked at where the wiring connected into the boiler so I could see which wire was for water on and water off.
If you have the manual for the boiler look in there to confirm which is which.
stefromuk21/07/2019 14:20

I did my Hive ok.But I looked at where the wiring connected into the …I did my Hive ok.But I looked at where the wiring connected into the boiler so I could see which wire was for water on and water off.If you have the manual for the boiler look in there to confirm which is which.

I checked the installation manual for the boiler, manual for the Honeywell and for the Drayton ... Am none the wiser.
Wire N & L as before. The black wire loops from L to 1, grey goes in 3.
themorgatron21/07/2019 15:09

Wire N & L as before. The black wire loops from L to 1, grey goes in 3.

Thank you!!! Also, on the Drayton wall plate there's a screw with a grounding sign. Should I wire the green & yellow cable (hidden in pic 2) to that?
vbnmu21/07/2019 15:18

Thank you!!! Also, on the Drayton wall plate there's a screw with a …Thank you!!! Also, on the Drayton wall plate there's a screw with a grounding sign. Should I wire the green & yellow cable (hidden in pic 2) to that?

Sorry I missed that one, assuming it's definitely an earth then yes. If I wasn't sure I would leave it as it is, the backplate does not require an earth.
themorgatron21/07/2019 16:04

Sorry I missed that one, assuming it's definitely an earth then yes. If I …Sorry I missed that one, assuming it's definitely an earth then yes. If I wasn't sure I would leave it as it is, the backplate does not require an earth.

Thanks again. I'll probably do it next weekend, will report back.
Just looked back on my pics I took and I had the same receiver.
THIS LINK is purely for Hive and valient but looks very similar.
38123445-BfQe3.jpg
stefromuk21/07/2019 17:02

Just looked back on my pics I took and I had the same receiver.THIS LINK …Just looked back on my pics I took and I had the same receiver.THIS LINK is purely for Hive and valient but looks very similar.[Image]

Do you have an Ecotec Pro 28 as well? That's the boiler I have so the link will be useful.
vbnmu21/07/2019 17:08

Do you have an Ecotec Pro 28 as well? That's the boiler I have so the link …Do you have an Ecotec Pro 28 as well? That's the boiler I have so the link will be useful.

Ah yeah that's a coincidence lol
This is a picture of the board on them...
Be careful though they have 2 connections one is 24v and one is 230v.
Looking at the picture of yours it's 240v so would use the right-hand connecters which it is probably wired into already.
38123554-0ImyF.jpg38123554-fMXLc.jpg
Also looking at the wiring in your box they're wired differently to mine as my Grey wire is in "A" which is the common wire on single channel and the my black is in "B" which is Heating On single channel.
But yours are the opposite so I would pop the cover of the Ecotec to check which number they're screwed into just to be safe.
Edited by: "stefromuk" 21st Jul 2019
themorgatron21/07/2019 16:04

Sorry I missed that one, assuming it's definitely an earth then yes. If I …Sorry I missed that one, assuming it's definitely an earth then yes. If I wasn't sure I would leave it as it is, the backplate does not require an earth.

Thanks a tonne!!
Your steps worked. I read the Drayton manual and it made sense but only after you explained it. Thanks a lot.
stefromuk21/07/2019 17:19

Ah yeah that's a coincidence lolThis is a picture of the board on …Ah yeah that's a coincidence lolThis is a picture of the board on them...Be careful though they have 2 connections one is 24v and one is 230v.Looking at the picture of yours it's 240v so would use the right-hand connecters which it is probably wired into already.[Image] [Image]

Your PCB and mine looks different, although we've got the same boiler! I opened it up today.

Really happy with the result. THANKS GUYS!!!
Edited by: "vbnmu" 5th Aug 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants