Expired

Fitting decent reverse sensors to car?

Found 27th Aug 2013
I have had my car for 7 weeks now and I love it however the one thing that bugs me is the not so good visibility when reversing.
I have had a quick look online at reverse sensors and have so far only mainly found Halfords. I have always refused to shop there after they made a muck up when sorting a stereo in my old car a few years ago.

Are they really the only option,or any other places? I wouldn't be able to fit anything myself.

When they are fitted,is everything tidy? No wires visible etc? Do the sensors work ok?

I was thinking of popping into a halfords(grudgingly) and having a look however would not be able to until next week due to work.

Any advice would be grateful
Community Updates
AskCar
25 Comments
You don't need sensors, it's what your bumpers made for..!! I had reverse sensors on my old car but trusted my own judgement more than the sensors and a reverse camera would probably be a better option. If they're installed correctly they are tidy, Usually get a drill bit included that's the correct size or you could stick them on but then usually see the cable. They usually come in black or silver as that matches a majority of cars.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 27th Aug 2013
shauneco

You don't need sensors, it's what your bumpers made for..!! I had reverse … You don't need sensors, it's what your bumpers made for..!! I had reverse sensors on my old car but trusted my own judgement more than the sensors and a reverse camera would probably be a better option. If they're installed correctly they are tidy, Usually get a drill bit included that's the correct size or you could stick them on but then usually see the cable. They usually come in black or silver as that matches a majority of cars.

Yeah thanks,if I had had an old car still then I would really bother. Our galaxy had a few bangs/scrapes however visibility is not the best with new so would rather opt for the sensors.
As I said I won't be fitting myself,would rather pay someone to do it properly.

My old car was small and so easy to park,this one is bigger and harder to judge the spaces!

Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 27th Aug 2013
awesomedad

Yes there are many places other than Halfords that fit reversing sensors. … Yes there are many places other than Halfords that fit reversing sensors. For example Road Radio http://www.roadradio.com/parking-sensors/ . No good for you of course as you are in Scotland! but suggest you have a look around the car audio shops, many of them fit sensors as well! Quick look on google and you will find them, also google "parking sensor fitting then whatever town you're in"And yes they will be tidy if professionally fitted :)Have fun

Thank you,found a site that looks quite good and reasonably priced.
Had a look at a few pictures on it and they colour match too which is good
They're very easy to fit and I doubt even Halfords could bodge them up lol.
Edited by: ".MUFC." 27th Aug 2013
shauneco

They're very easy to fit and I doubt even Halfords could bodge them up … They're very easy to fit and I doubt even Halfords could bodge them up lol.

So was the stereo I paid a lot of money for and they managed to muck that up,their customer service was also appealing . That was 5 years ago and I always said I wouldn't get them to fit anything again. Incompetent fools!

I will not be fitting anything myself either I have no interest in even trying.
Edited by: "takethatfan1978" 27th Aug 2013
shauneco

You don't need sensors, it's what your bumpers made for..!!

Awesome view there, what about the car you hit and mark? In this day and age some much as dent anything and before you know the poor victim will be on jeremy kyle telling them how you tried to mow them down (and their child in a pushchair who in fact is a 21 year old chav who was in prison at the time of the nudge)
What car is it? Looked on owners forums?
What you need is a tow bar. Keep reversing until you hear a bump, your car will be fine since the tow bar will take the hit.
Not so lucky for the parked cars though and their cracked number plates . .
Reverse sensors are annoying and should be banned! I started ignoring them on the works van after all the times I slammed on at the solid beep, then realised it was a stray branch sticking out of a bush setting it off! If you still insist on haing them though, just make a call to a couple of local mechanics, I can't imagine them charging too much for it.
The solid beep is at 30cms (or so) which can clearly be seen as too far anyway.
Anybody that needs these, requires further driver training.
Inactive

Anybody that needs these, requires further driver training.

Anybody that posts comments like that needs to grow up! What an immature comment to post!
takethatfan1978

Anybody that posts comments like that needs to grow up! What an immature … Anybody that posts comments like that needs to grow up! What an immature comment to post!

It's a pretty fair comment.

"further driver training" is not an insult. If you can't see very well, what are you doing driving in the first place?

The only people that need these (imo), I would say, are those that have no rear window like vans and lorries and such.
takethatfan1978

Anybody that posts comments like that needs to grow up! What an immature … Anybody that posts comments like that needs to grow up! What an immature comment to post!

Not at all, further driver training would teach you how to judge better the distances involved.

How on earth did anybody manage in the past?
MadeDixonsCry

The solid beep is at 30cms (or so) which can clearly be seen as too far … The solid beep is at 30cms (or so) which can clearly be seen as too far anyway.

yeah I agree, I've had to go into parking spots where it practically solid beeped constantly whilst in reverse.
then again i've also very lightly bumped into another car because I was reversing so fast that the beep came on at the same time as hitting the car.
basically. don't trust them. trust your judgement more.
MadeDixonsCry

It's a pretty fair comment."further driver training" is not an insult. If … It's a pretty fair comment."further driver training" is not an insult. If you can't see very well, what are you doing driving in the first place?The only people that need these (imo), I would say, are those that have no rear window like vans and lorries and such.

Every car I have had before I have been absolutely fine with,this one does not have very good visibility and upon reading reviews it seems to be a common thing from people,its nothing to do with driving in the first place.

I don't see why you feel the need to comment that I need further training when all I asked was where the best place would be to buy sensors.

I could sell the car and just get another but don't see the point if I like the car so much and I'm happy to buy a sensor kit.
You can buy sensors for quite cheap on eBay - but not sure how much they would cost to get fitted. Commenting because I'm genuinely interested in the outcome, as I've been considering getting sensors put onto my car.
Inactive

Not at all, further driver training would teach you how to judge better … Not at all, further driver training would teach you how to judge better the distances involved. How on earth did anybody manage in the past?

I like many others have managed in the past,I simply asked where the best place would be to buy sensors not ask for insults regarding my driving/reversing skills

When you buy a car do you look at it and say that you don't want it because it has reverse sensors,electric windows etc as you managed fine before these were thought of?
Buying a vehicle with sensors fitted, is very different to having them installed as an afterthought to overcome your lack of ability to judge the length of your vehicle, which in itself is a basic driving skill.

Further driver training would help you to overcome this.
Inactive

Buying a vehicle with sensors fitted, is very different to having them … Buying a vehicle with sensors fitted, is very different to having them installed as an afterthought to overcome your lack of ability to judge the length of your vehicle, which in itself is a basic driving skill.Further driver training would help you to overcome this.

Thank you for the very much useless advice.
When buying my car there was a choice of two one had sensors fitted and the other not. The one I chose was the better one,nicer colour,nicer inside,nicer alloys and lower mileage but without the sensors.I knew I would be putting sensors on it eventually as well as upgrading the stereo.

I would rather that option and add what I wanted than pick one that was not as nice and no service history.
My advice offers a permanent solution to your inability to drive to a competent standard, your solution is only atrributable to the car that you now own.

So not really " useless ".. (_;)
Thanks everyone,sensors being fitted next week along with stereo/speakers being upgraded as factory ones not the best.
takethatfan1978

Thanks everyone,sensors being fitted next week along with stereo/speakers … Thanks everyone,sensors being fitted next week along with stereo/speakers being upgraded as factory ones not the best.

Can you tell us how much sensors cost to be fitted? Would be good to have a price point for when I eventually get it done
qwertymz

Can you tell us how much sensors cost to be fitted? Would be good to have … Can you tell us how much sensors cost to be fitted? Would be good to have a price point for when I eventually get it done

I bought the ones on the site I listed,fitting is meant to be £85 from their fitter but our mechanic/auto electrician friend is going to fit them and upgrade my stereo so not sure what the cost will be.

Its getting done next wed so happy to update/sort pics
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants