Fitting kitchen

Posted 21st Apr
Hi All,

Got my kitchen fully ready and rigid from an online kitchen seller.
Total 10 units including wall and base units.

I have got a quote of 600 to fit all the units, tiling above worktop, electric, gas and etc done.

My dilemma is, should i do it myself or its good to get it done from a fitter?

I am good in diy jobs and have recently tiled the whole kitchen floor myself.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
600 is nothing.
As someone who fitted their own kitchen units a few years ago, I'd definitely pay the £600.
Here's mine. I completely gutted it and redesigned it. There were rickety old brown & red MFI units in before. You should definately give it a go. There is plenty of info and vids online to help you out.
40491239-IJxiC.jpg
32 Comments
600 is nothing.
D.I.Y - I would, just make sure you measure at least twice to make sure you have it right.
Are you gas certified? I wouldn't do the gas bits if I wasn't gas certified.
As someone who fitted their own kitchen units a few years ago, I'd definitely pay the £600.
£600 seems very cheap , I got a full
Time carpenter to do all my wood work in the kitchen . Are you redoing it to regs or just doing it as a new kicthen
£600?? That would cover 2 men for 2 days. You get what you pay for! Be careful.
Edited by: "greenyblades" 21st Apr
I done mine for the first time a couple of years ago and really glad I did, gives you a great boost of confidence and you will likely make a better job than most so called professional fitters. My neighbour paid local fitters last year to fit a kitchen and done a really poor job of the finishing, gaps everywhere, doors misaligned etc

The only job I called someone in for was for 2 mitre joins on the worktops and even then I wish I had bought the jig and done it myself.
Bigfootpete21/04/2020 16:55

D.I.Y - I would, just make sure you measure at least twice to make sure …D.I.Y - I would, just make sure you measure at least twice to make sure you have it right.

the only cuts would be worktops at the edges and for the sink and hob. nothing else.
MadeDixonsCry21/04/2020 16:56

Are you gas certified? I wouldn't do the gas bits if I wasn't gas …Are you gas certified? I wouldn't do the gas bits if I wasn't gas certified.

nope not gas certified. if i get a gas and pluming person, thats £120 at most to connect the hob and make sure plumbing and gas are fine.
bluenotetim121/04/2020 17:07

As someone who fitted their own kitchen units a few years ago, I'd …As someone who fitted their own kitchen units a few years ago, I'd definitely pay the £600.

why is that?
ashmac21/04/2020 17:11

£600 seems very cheap , I got a fullTime carpenter to do all my wood work …£600 seems very cheap , I got a fullTime carpenter to do all my wood work in the kitchen . Are you redoing it to regs or just doing it as a new kicthen

removed old cabinets, got new ones which needs to go to the existing places. few drills here and there but nothing major apart from that.
greenyblades21/04/2020 17:13

£600?? That would cover 2 men for 2 days. You get what you pay for! Be …£600?? That would cover 2 men for 2 days. You get what you pay for! Be careful.

£300 each for 2 days of work.. not bad in current climate, dont you think?
Raider000121/04/2020 17:18

I done mine for the first time a couple of years ago and really glad I …I done mine for the first time a couple of years ago and really glad I did, gives you a great boost of confidence and you will likely make a better job than most so called professional fitters. My neighbour paid local fitters last year to fit a kitchen and done a really poor job of the finishing, gaps everywhere, doors misaligned etcThe only job I called someone in for was for 2 mitre joins on the worktops and even then I wish I had bought the jig and done it myself.

i agree. my only worry is for the finish. i dont think people from outside will be able to finish it like i will.. and i dont have mitre joins. straight worktops which need edging cuts and the usual cuts for hob and sink.
bluenotetim121/04/2020 17:07

As someone who fitted their own kitchen units a few years ago, I'd …As someone who fitted their own kitchen units a few years ago, I'd definitely pay the £600.

If I was a pessimist I would think you're a builder looking to keep your trade in demand!
haa051821/04/2020 17:23

£300 each for 2 days of work.. not bad in current climate, dont you think?

Each? I need to see your working out, bro
Here's mine. I completely gutted it and redesigned it. There were rickety old brown & red MFI units in before. You should definately give it a go. There is plenty of info and vids online to help you out.
40491239-IJxiC.jpg
My father scratch built all the kitchen cabinets in his workshop and mitre joined the worktops without the aid of a jig, since he didn't own one at the time, not that you could tell, it just took a little longer. I did all the plumbing and electrics including a new relocated consumer unit (not allowed to DIY that now!) and some of the tiling. I helped him fit the units, that was the dead easy bit!

Sadly, that was 20 years ago, and the worktops need replacing, and I'd like to change the doors. The units are still solid as they were biscuit jointed. Shame he's not up to doing it anymore as I'd like some oak doors.
Edited by: "melted" 21st Apr
Sit back and watch someone else do it especially for £600
MadeDixonsCry21/04/2020 17:44

If I was a pessimist I would think you're a builder looking to keep your …If I was a pessimist I would think you're a builder looking to keep your trade in demand!Each? I need to see your working out, bro

2 people working for 2 days
Each getting £300 in total = 300 x 2 = £600...
Raider000121/04/2020 17:48

Here's mine. I completely gutted it and redesigned it. There were rickety …Here's mine. I completely gutted it and redesigned it. There were rickety old brown & red MFI units in before. You should definately give it a go. There is plenty of info and vids online to help you out.[Image]

Amazing work.. how long did that take you to do?
haa051821/04/2020 19:16

2 people working for 2 daysEach getting £300 in total = 300 x 2 = £600...

So is it two people fitting it in two days, ie charging you £150 per day per person?

Are they two 'randomes' or skilled tradesmen who have been recommended?
JimboParrot21/04/2020 19:32

So is it two people fitting it in two days, ie charging you £150 per day …So is it two people fitting it in two days, ie charging you £150 per day per person?Are they two 'randomes' or skilled tradesmen who have been recommended?

Got the person from rated people
haa051821/04/2020 19:32

So just the one person? How long did he say it would take and presumably he's gas and electric registered?
JimboParrot21/04/2020 19:34

So just the one person? How long did he say it would take and presumably …So just the one person? How long did he say it would take and presumably he's gas and electric registered?

No. Not 1 person. So i was told by the person who contacted me, that it will be himself and another chap who will work.

Yes both registered
haa051821/04/2020 17:22

removed old cabinets, got new ones which needs to go to the existing …removed old cabinets, got new ones which needs to go to the existing places. few drills here and there but nothing major apart from that.

Prob why cheaper , I had kitchen re wired and all the sockets re done as it was a old house refurbish,and all big appliances on the fuse grid on the wall
haa051821/04/2020 19:32

My mate is a spark and charged me for electrics alone £200 a day
haa051821/04/2020 19:16

Amazing work.. how long did that take you to do?

I probably spent about 2 weeks, 3-4 hours each day, removing tiles (they were all arount the kitchen), removing wall cabinets, patching, sanding & repainting walls, updating skirting, new plumbing under the sink. then about the same time again installing the new units, appliances etc. I wanted to take my time and keep the kitchen as functional as possible. Floor tiling then cutting and sealing plinths were done last.
if you can do it yourself, why not? if i could fit a kitchen myself, i would certainly do it
Raider000121/04/2020 19:49

I probably spent about 2 weeks, 3-4 hours each day, removing tiles (they …I probably spent about 2 weeks, 3-4 hours each day, removing tiles (they were all arount the kitchen), removing wall cabinets, patching, sanding & repainting walls, updating skirting, new plumbing under the sink. then about the same time again installing the new units, appliances etc. I wanted to take my time and keep the kitchen as functional as possible. Floor tiling then cutting and sealing plinths were done last.

How easy/difficult was to cut for the sink and hob on the worktop?
haa051821/04/2020 20:24

Generally easy if you can measure and have the tools.

600 is cheap. I paid 1200 for 13 units, tiling, plumbing and flooring (including the underflooring)
haa051821/04/2020 20:24

The chap who did the mitre joints also did the cutouts. From memory there were cutout templates that came with the sink and hob. He did the cuts outside and I'm sure I remember him using a jigsaw. I had some worktop spare and used this for the window board, cut upside down with a circular saw without any chipping occuring.

Edit: Any chipping done with a jigsaw on the cutouts should not matter, as the lip on the sink and hob should cover it. Maybe use some masking tape on the surface as well to help stop chipping.
Edited by: "Raider0001" 21st Apr
Raider000121/04/2020 21:30

The chap who did the mitre joints also did the cutouts. From memory there …The chap who did the mitre joints also did the cutouts. From memory there were cutout templates that came with the sink and hob. He did the cuts outside and I'm sure I remember him using a jigsaw. I had some worktop spare and used this for the window board, cut upside down with a circular saw without any chipping occuring.Edit: Any chipping done with a jigsaw on the cutouts should not matter, as the lip on the sink and hob should cover it. Maybe use some masking tape on the surface as well to help stop chipping.

Should use a down cut jigsaw blade when cutting on the laminate side.
Edited by: "melted" 21st Apr
As much as i am tempted to fit the kitchen myself, i am thinking to give it to them to do it and i can supervise.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions