Fitting new hdd into laptop - help

12 replies
Found 26th Feb 2010
I'm putting a new hdd into my laptop and the one i'm taking out says ATA can this be replaced with a SATA drive? whats the difference?

also when i put the new drive in, is it just a case of installing a new os onto it?

12 Comments

Banned

ata or pata is different to sata
it means it wont fit or work

if you get one to fit, yes, you need to install OS and drivers

ATA and SATA have different interfaces so in theory no.

Secodnd question is yes... just install operating system back on (boot from CD in bios) and reinstall all your hardware drivers. Its always a good idea if you dont have the original driver disks to take a screenshot of your device manager with hardware expanded. That way you wont have to faf around if Windows doesnt know what the hardware is, or if you cant locate it from a search based on laptop model number.

Original Poster

thats confusing because this one says it's a sata hard drive but has an ata interface

play.com/PC/…tml

souljacker;7963959

thats confusing because this one says it's a sata hard drive but has an … thats confusing because this one says it's a sata hard drive but has an ata interfacehttp://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516598/Western-Digital-Scorpio-WD3200BEVT-320GB-2-5-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive/Product.html

cant see where it says 'ATA'

from the link:

in Specifications:
Capacity: 320GB
Interfaces: SATA
Transfer Rate: 3 Gb/s (Max)
Read Seek Time: 12.0 ms
Track-To-Track Seek Time: 2.0 ms (average)
Rotational Speed: 5,400 RPM

Banned

souljacker;7963959

thats confusing because this one says it's a sata hard drive but has an … thats confusing because this one says it's a sata hard drive but has an ata interfacehttp://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3516598/Western-Digital-Scorpio-WD3200BEVT-320GB-2-5-Internal-SATA-Hard-Drive/Product.html

I would go with the title that says its a sata drive

the older ata/pata are harder to come by these days anyway, its a new drive and should be ok for you

Interfaces: SATA

Whats the model number of your laptop m8 ?

They are both ATA interfaces, one is PATA (parallel) however and the newer type is SATA (serial). Neither will fit the other.

Original Poster

Squelds;7964045

Interfaces: SATAWhats the model number of your laptop m8 ?

acer 5920g,

Original Poster

also had a quick search on the acer site, will i need to insatll all the drivers listed?

support.acer-euro.com/dri…tml

Looking at model... you will need a SATA hdd so the one you listed from Play will be fine. I didnt look at all the drivers but sometimes manf. put lots of generic drivers for lappies based on their different model numbers. So you may not need to install all of them but at least one for each hardware componant. IE sometimes there will be listings for 2 different wireless devices... which one yours uses will be listed in hardware devices in control panel. Like i say its a good idea to take a snapshot of you hardware devices in expanded mode. That way if there are more than one different device drivers on the Acer website then you'll know which one is yours. Failing that you will then need to run a proggy like Everest device manager. Saying that Windows MAY just recognise them automatically you never know ;-)

PS m8... that drive you were looking at - ]WD Scorpio Blue 320GB better deal here if thats the one youre gonna get ;-)

Original Poster

ok thanks a lot for your help, repped :thumbsup:

np m8 glad to help ;-)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone else bored of video gaming11
    2. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1047
    3. Wow apple you really are bad1825
    4. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604817

See more discussions