Five Guys, Overpriced?

Posted 8th Oct 2018
Was going to go to five guys last night, always go to gourmet burger and get the All round deal, after 5PM, 60Z cheeseburger, chunky chips and ulimited flavoured soda's for £9.99.

thought I'd want to see if five guys was all that, thinking it was fast food I'd expect meals to be 8-12£ max, thought I'd look at menu beforehand

Cheese Burger £7.95
Chips £4.50
Soda £3.15
Meal Total 15.60 or 17.70 for milkshake instead

Is it me or is this expensive or am I missing the point, decided not to go because realisticly I don't drink coca cola or sweetner so would of had to get milkshake and fork over 17.70 for a 6£ mcdonalds meal, yes i know this will taste alot better then mcdonalds.

Maybe I am missing something? I've seen pictures of the burger looks like they make it and wrap it and push it down. I'm sure people will prefer five guys over gourmet burger but just wanted to get peoples opinions. am I being cheap?
Community Updates
Misc
42 Comments
deleted79467
personally i would rather have a Honest burger any day than GBK OR 5 guys or shakeshack
i do not really trust any burger joint who will not serve their burgers rare
but like anything is all down to personal preference

35531883-VJ21r.jpg

Edited by: "deleted79467" 8th Oct 2018
deleted7946708/10/2018 11:23

personally i would rather have a Honest burger any day than GBK OR 5 guys …personally i would rather have a Honest burger any day than GBK OR 5 guys or shakeshacki do not really trust any burger joint who will not serve their burgers rare but like anything is all down to personal preference [Image]

I'd advise against having a burger rare.
deleted79467
chimp14uk5 m ago

I'd advise against having a burger rare.

depends where you eat
deleted7946708/10/2018 11:23

personally i would rather have a Honest burger any day than GBK OR 5 guys …personally i would rather have a Honest burger any day than GBK OR 5 guys or shakeshacki do not really trust any burger joint who will not serve their burgers rare but like anything is all down to personal preference [Image]

Looking at menu meal comes to 12£, lot more reasonably priced rather then 15.40.

Had my burger last night medium rare. there is no honest burgers within 46 miles of me
deleted79467
Creatishh08/10/2018 11:48

Looking at menu meal comes to 12£, lot more reasonably priced rather then …Looking at menu meal comes to 12£, lot more reasonably priced rather then 15.40.Had my burger last night medium rare. there is no honest burgers within 46 miles of me

i am biased i live about 5 minutes from the original honest
deleted7946708/10/2018 11:52

i am biased i live about 5 minutes from the original honest

If you have tried both GBK and honest, then I believe you...what sort of burger do you usually get?

i prefer my classic. GBK have a good reward scheme too, on my next visit free mikshake.
Yeah definitely over priced and way over rated in my opinion. You could have a sit down meal with and excellent pub burger, fancy fries and cocktail for the same price as the five guys.
GBK used to be great. Their Homeslaw and burger options were superb, everything was cooked fantastic - the suddenly it went downhill... I went a few times and it was rubbish... I did some research and it had been bought by nandos owners - it really showed. Shame coz it was a great little place.

Five guys is ok, expensive but ok.

Honest is a decent burger joint for sure.

Depends where you live and the options you have close when it comes to a decent burger.
myusernamehasgone23408/10/2018 11:59

Yeah definitely over priced and way over rated in my opinion. You could …Yeah definitely over priced and way over rated in my opinion. You could have a sit down meal with and excellent pub burger, fancy fries and cocktail for the same price as the five guys.

Most pub chains now serve terrible food with terrible service. Bit like a good burger joint - if you are lucky enough to have a decent pub serving decent food that's awesome - but a burger from a chained pub wont be anywhere near as good.
deleted79467
Creatishh08/10/2018 11:54

If you have tried both GBK and honest, then I believe you...what sort of …If you have tried both GBK and honest, then I believe you...what sort of burger do you usually get?i prefer my classic. GBK have a good reward scheme too, on my next visit free mikshake.

did gbk quite a few times when they arrived in london .
went back about a year ago and found they had dropped in quality so i dont bother with them anymore .
i normally have the monthly special when i am at honest .

had a good burger at hanksburgers.co.uk
Supply and demand.
So long as mugs are willing to pay silly prices, the prices will remain silly.
Definitely overpriced I think. Like there aren't similar options elsewhere?
Same as a lot of niche retailers. They suddenly find they're getting a good reputation and can't resist trying to exploit it.
deleted7946708/10/2018 12:13

did gbk quite a few times when they arrived in london . went back about a …did gbk quite a few times when they arrived in london . went back about a year ago and found they had dropped in quality so i dont bother with them anymore . i normally have the monthly special when i am at honest .had a good burger at https://www.hanksburgers.co.uk

Think it will vary on location by sounds of it, I would imagine the ones in london are being used as cash cows rather then spreading the brand, one near me seems pretty good, friendly staff, good food. nice enviroment of a sit down meal rather then fast food joint five guys looks like lol
joanddan708/10/2018 12:09

GBK used to be great. Their Homeslaw and burger options were superb, …GBK used to be great. Their Homeslaw and burger options were superb, everything was cooked fantastic - the suddenly it went downhill... I went a few times and it was rubbish... I did some research and it had been bought by nandos owners - it really showed. Shame coz it was a great little place.Five guys is ok, expensive but ok. Honest is a decent burger joint for sure. Depends where you live and the options you have close when it comes to a decent burger.

deleted7946708/10/2018 12:13

did gbk quite a few times when they arrived in london . went back about a …did gbk quite a few times when they arrived in london . went back about a year ago and found they had dropped in quality so i dont bother with them anymore . i normally have the monthly special when i am at honest .had a good burger at https://www.hanksburgers.co.uk

The Big Cheese
6oz aged beef patty, American cheese, pink pickled onions, shredded lettuce and Hank’s secret burger sauce in a toasted glazed burger bun.

The Bigger Cheese
6oz aged beef patty, crispy applewood smoked bacon, American cheese, pink pickled onions, shredded lettuce and hank’s secret burger sauce in a toasted glazed burger bun.

I wonder how much bigger a bit of bacon makes it.
deleted79467
Creatishh10 m ago

Think it will vary on location by sounds of it, I would imagine the ones …Think it will vary on location by sounds of it, I would imagine the ones in london are being used as cash cows rather then spreading the brand, one near me seems pretty good, friendly staff, good food. nice enviroment of a sit down meal rather then fast food joint five guys looks like lol

normally al these chains are obsessed with having the same product regardless of where you eat its all about standardisation
so i dont think the london chains will be any different to any other branch as they will all be supplied centrally all the gbk i see in london have the same decor and they have seats , i think 5 guys have seats as well
joanddan747 m ago

Most pub chains now serve terrible food with terrible service. Bit like a …Most pub chains now serve terrible food with terrible service. Bit like a good burger joint - if you are lucky enough to have a decent pub serving decent food that's awesome - but a burger from a chained pub wont be anywhere near as good.

Yeah I am lucky enough to know a decent pub it’s not a chain.
overpriced

over salted
volume of music over loud

byron or Handmade burger Co are my choice
I like 5 guys when I want a burger. I do think the whole posh burger has been done to death now though, and this just gets back to a glorified Mcdonalds

Bacon cheese burger, all the relishes, large chips (shared), 3 refills on the drinks and copious amounts of monkey nuts.

(just about better for the wallet than the health)

Personally when I want a burger it's a quick meal. I can remember not too long ago one had to queue in the street waiting to be seated in Patty & Bun. Now that's ridiculous to me.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 10th Oct 2018
Byron’s is the one
They have coke freestyle dispensers so there is a wide range of drinks, even flavoured water either carbonated or flat.
When I checked this out I'm pretty sure Five Guys retain the dollar cost of their US menu but straight up into pounds. Eg a burger that is $5 in US is £5 here. Bold business decision..seems to be working..
Fat Bob, Poznan. Bit of a trek tbh but well worth it.
Its the £4.50 for chips that gets me.. That's crazy! Especially when they cant even be bothered to peel them.. I mean whats with that.. stop trying to be cool and peel my bloody chips.
deleted8085808/10/2018 12:38

The Big Cheese6oz aged beef patty, American cheese, pink pickled onions, …The Big Cheese6oz aged beef patty, American cheese, pink pickled onions, shredded lettuce and Hank’s secret burger sauce in a toasted glazed burger bun.The Bigger Cheese6oz aged beef patty, crispy applewood smoked bacon, American cheese, pink pickled onions, shredded lettuce and hank’s secret burger sauce in a toasted glazed burger bun.I wonder how much bigger a bit of bacon makes it.

Quiet a bit

35535399-Sq5vR.jpg

Any where that serves tinned brine mushrooms deserves no money from anyone!
way overpriced, my local store in Glasgow Silverburn usually has more staff than customers, probably as its surrounded by other restaurants inc McDonalds and Handmade Burger Co which are much better value
I saw the menu and walked out, same with Wimpy burger, both places are near empty many times I go. I have got to try Five Guys one day because of all the hype, but I fear that I'll be bitterly disappointed.
It’s ridiculously overpriced, if me the Doris and 3 kids went, it would cost around £90 which is absolute scandalous, to make it worse they don’t even wear a mask....
I had one the other day, extremely expensive but it did taste great
They are expensive but good as a treat now and then.

The unlimited refills drinks machine is what its about! The combinations possible is crazy.
Anyone going to the one in Birmingham needs to make the 5 min walk to Original Patty Men in Digbeth. 35541033-HlSgF.jpg
Thank me later.

i like them, much better than the single visit to GBK i have made
they are fairly expensive but the 4.50 fries is much bigger than usual and the larger one much bigger again
dont forget you can get extra bacon and extra cheese as free toppings as well

thing that annoys me is the loud music as noted above and the 'fries for the bag' ... JUST PUT IT IN A BIGGER BAG YOU CRETINS! (no, not the one you carry it all in)
extra milkshake sir? just hold out your shoe for one second...
You can easily share the chips between two so £2.25 each which isnt too bad especially when they are amazing!
I ordered from them just once via Deliveroo. Chips were very salty. They're also pricey in my opinion.

Also, no rare or medium rare burgers
The texture of rare mince is (fierce). I only like well done burgers.
Edited by: "hearts22" 9th Oct 2018
Awesome burgers, but defo pricey, worth it now and again.
So expensive. Small hamburger, small fries and a small drink cost me £10 the other day. Plus it takes a good 10 mins from completing order to receiving the items. Funny thing is, McDonald’s was just opposite Five Guys.
mrwhitelabel8th Oct

overpricedover saltedvolume of music over loudbyron or Handmade burger Co …overpricedover saltedvolume of music over loudbyron or Handmade burger Co are my choice

Byron are poor. Been twice never again
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants