Five of the most over-priced things you shouldn't buy from the supermarket, what others can you add ?

Found 28th Mar 2017
I thought that this was worth posting as advice for shoppers.

It's not extensive by any means so I would ask people to add the over priced items from supermarkets.

1. Spices

The mark-up on these is shocking, with Andrea revealing it is often round the 100 per cent mark.

To this end, she recommends buying your herbs and spices from a health-food store, ethnic grocery shop or even a local convenience store.

2. Batteries

Describing these as a "classic impulse buy", Andrea explains that batteries are often placed near the till, tempting you into throwing them in with the rest of your shopping.

But there is very little chance you'll be making any savings this way - which you COULD do (by up to 50 per cent) by buying them in bulk elsewhere. A pack of four AA Duracell batteries from Sainsbury's costs £4 or £1 per battery, but you can buy a pack of 12 from Amazon for £6.34 or just 52 per battery.

3. Baby and beauty products

Because of the regularity with which we use products, the cost of them really mounts up.

Yet you can make savings switching to high street chemists or Poundland, as they are much more likely to have special offers on than supermarkets.
Impulse-buying a shower gel or shampoo while doing the food shop could cost you up 30 per cent more.

For example, a 300ml bottle of Johnson's baby lotion costs £2.37 at Morrison's but you can get a 200ml bottle with 100ml extra free for £1 a Poundland.

4. Pre-prepared fruit and veg

Sure, it's quick and easy, but buying bagged or packaged fruit and veg could cost you three times as much.

For example, a 400g tub of Sainsbury's Pineapple Pieces costs £1.50, making it 50p more expensive than a whole pineapple, which you can pick up from the store for just £1.00.

You can dramatically cut the cost by shopping more locally - and support independent businesses

5. Packaged meat

The same pretty much applies to meat as it does to fruit and veg.

Andrea explains, "the convenience of buying pre-formed hamburger patties or assembled steak kebabs is going to cost you anywhere from 60 to 300 percent more than buying the meat in its whole form."

She recommends taking the "middle ground" and buying a large hunk of meat and asking your butcher to either cube it or mince it.

I would add that any of the home & Garden products are also massively expensive, often at full RRP or even more. Fruit and Veg has such short date codes it's often better to shop elsewhere too.

23 Comments

Who's Andrea?

Imported American food items, as they are cheaper in the US?

It's about convenience, am I really going to save a pound or two getting batteries/baby oil in a high street shop, if I should factor in that it will cost me more in parking charges or time...

Supermarkets have never been the cheapest place for everything, same as Amazon isn't. Just convenience.

Original Poster

jasperpea

Who's Andrea?

The woman who wrote the article !

Original Poster

delusion

Imported American food items, as they are cheaper in the US? It's about … Imported American food items, as they are cheaper in the US? It's about convenience, am I really going to save a pound or two getting batteries/baby oil in a high street shop, if I should factor in that it will cost me more in parking charges or time... Supermarkets have never been the cheapest place for everything, same as Amazon isn't. Just convenience.

Isn't that what this entire site is about though? Finding the bargains and avoiding the expensive overpricing?

jasperpea

Who's Andrea?

I'm Andrea!!

https://i.makeagif.com/media/7-22-2015/t8fvGV.gif

Deodorants,all well cheaper elsewhere

Bottled water.

Isn't this a Daily Mail article?

Thoughtful

Isn't that what this entire site is about though? Finding the bargains … Isn't that what this entire site is about though? Finding the bargains and avoiding the expensive overpricing?

Kind of. Pretty sure there is not a HotUKOverpriced section

So many words to say......

"Shop around."

50pEachwayJay

Isn't this a Daily Mail article?

​isn't that banned by the snowflakes mob?

davewave

Snowflakes? What is that spost to mean, a snowflake is water when it melts it just becomes fluid again and we all know...
"You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend."

Snowflake sounds like a term of endearment to me, it denotes strength and determination, water is indomitable and ultimately always free and eternal.

Error440

Snowflakes? What is that spost to mean, a snowflake is water when it … Snowflakes? What is that spost to mean, a snowflake is water when it melts it just becomes fluid again and we all know..."You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend."Snowflake sounds like a term of endearment to me, it denotes strength and determination, water is indomitable and ultimately always free and eternal.

​Have you been at the sherry?

Error440

Snowflakes? What is that spost to mean, a snowflake is water when it … Snowflakes? What is that spost to mean, a snowflake is water when it melts it just becomes fluid again and we all know..."You must be shapeless, formless, like water. When you pour water in a cup, it becomes the cup. When you pour water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. When you pour water in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can drip and it can crash. Become like water my friend."Snowflake sounds like a term of endearment to me, it denotes strength and determination, water is indomitable and ultimately always free and eternal.

​good glad you like the term.

jax619

I see snowflakes as frilly dancing little fairies

You see... the thing about snowflakes is, on their own, they're harmless but put enough of them together and they'll grind the country to a halt.

Thoughtful

The woman who wrote the article !

Maybe you should provide her with some credit and a link to the article?

davewave

Pretty sure the only place the Daily Mail is banned it from Wikipedia, for being an unreliable news source that made things up.

Not sure what that has to do with the weather.

Cat litter. Cat litter is a royal rip off at the supermarket.
Edited by: "MSK." 28th Mar 2017

Neurofen, feminax, anadin etc etc. 10 times the price of the generic stuff but EXACTLY the same product.

Looks to me like Andrea had to write some something for a deadline and came up with this shallowly researched drivel. Comparing the most expensive single buy products in a supermarket (with no reference to quality) to the cheapest multi buy.

Don't buy your fashion conscious teenagers clothes from supermarkets. You'll find them thrown hidden in the corner and your child made a victim. Allegedly.

moneysavingkitten

Pretty sure the only place the Daily Mail is banned it from Wikipedia, … Pretty sure the only place the Daily Mail is banned it from Wikipedia, for being an unreliable news source that made things up.Not sure what that has to do with the weather.Cat litter. Cat litter is a royal rip off at the supermarket.

I would have to disagree, tried to buy cat little online and it cost a fortune (understandable as delivery costs) in the supermarket it is £1.65 a large bag. Where is it cheaper?

jax619

Ive been in massive blizards they dont scare me

I'm very proud of you petal...
Post a comment
@
    Text