Fix a weeping compression joint

Found 1st Feb 2016
Had replaced an electric shower recently with no issues. However with the onset of winter the compression joint has started weeping due to increase in water pressure. Have tried refitting with PTFE but to no avail. Somebody has recommended me to use LS-X but being a silicone sealant not sure if that will hold off the high water pressure.
Anybody has better ideas ? Thanks.
Community Updates
13 Comments
Check the olive or replace union altogether
Thought of doing that, but the olive is completely stuck to the copper pipe. Either I will need to cut the pipe or hack the olive to remove it.
Had a look at this morning but reviews says only useful for pulling moderately compressed olives. Mine seems to have been compressed very badly after repeated tightening attempts
In fact, I applied on both the olive and the threads of the joint. The olive has almost become part of the pipe now.
Just carefully cut/grind/file the olive of and replace with a new olive or complete compression joint.

As most have said replace olive and joint - no other choice

A compression joint works by sealing by compression and if there's a fail no amount of bodging will fix it. It's a small price and little work for piece of mind. Don't over tighten the joint - generally finger tight and no more than half a turn

naturalhandyman.com/iip…tml

There is a point beyond which tightening a compression nut will not … There is a point beyond which tightening a compression nut will not longer yield any gain. Once you encounter resistance in turning, tighten no more than an additional half turn. Test the connection by turning on the water slightly. If there is leakage, turn the water back off and tighten the compression nut by no more than a quarter turn at a time until all leakage stops. This is one of those "touchy-feely" skills that you develop over time, so don't expect a perfect, leak-free connection on the first try. Even us wizzened old pros have to sometimes tweak the connections to get them right!

Edited by: "philphil61" 1st Feb 2016
I was hoping to avoid removing the olive as the last time I had difficulty removing the old olive when I replaced the shower. I ended up filing the old olive as I was afraid I will damage the pipe while using a hacksaw. However while filing I might have ended up making the pipe uneven on the surface. Could this be why I am having this issue ?
I will try removing the olive and replace the joint as it seems that is the better alternative to trying to mask the leak with a sealant.
I take it you've PTFEd the olive and not the thread, lsx does work brilliantly but it may well start leaking in the future.

You can hacksaw the olive, once you've cut most of the way through stick a flat blade screwdriver in it and split it open. If the pipes damaged also its pot luck whether it will seal easily, but with a bit of patience (and jet blue) you can always get a dry joint. Also use a copper olive, they are easier to manipulate because they are softer than brass.
You might be able to cut out a bit of pipe and fit one of these (if it's not what your after, it might give you some ideas)
ebay.co.uk/itm…160
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/NAAAAOSwbqpT4gmn/$_57.JPG
not being cheeky but if you can't fix a leaky joint you should get your replacement shower checked out for safety. does it comply with current regs ?
carefulbuyer

not being cheeky but if you can't fix a leaky joint you should get your … not being cheeky but if you can't fix a leaky joint you should get your replacement shower checked out for safety. does it comply with current regs ?

did OP say they fitted the shower? No is the answer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants