Groups

Fixing Faulty Xbox 360

My brother has offered me his broken XBOX 360. Apparently it has the red light of doom whatever that may be!

He couldnt be bothered to fix it so he bought a new one.

Is it easy to fix? Or should I get someone else to do it?

Having done a search for fixing instructions there are way too many to choose from and I havent got a clue which ones are any good!

Any pointers to fixing it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

8 Comments

Try looking on gumtree.com for someone that can fix it in your local area (normally costs around £30)

I wouldn't recommend the x-clamp though as that can last 3 months but won't be fixable again after that... there are other methods!

or you could try doing it yourself, there are several guides on the internet, for example: se7ensins.com/for…tml

Original Poster

rwm24;3735569

Try looking on gumtree.com for someone that can fix it in your local area … Try looking on gumtree.com for someone that can fix it in your local area (normally costs around £30)I wouldn't recommend the x-clamp though as that can last 3 months but won't be fixable again after that... there are other methods!or you could try doing it yourself, there are several guides on the internet, for example: http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/xbox-360-tutorials/92550-permanently-fix-3-red-lights-scar.html

I'll take a look at that link thanx:thumbsup:

Whats the manufacture date at the back of the console? if its over 2005 say 2006/7 its free to fix by ms

Original Poster

MarzBarz;3735641

Whats the manufacture date at the back of the console? if its over 2005 … Whats the manufacture date at the back of the console? if its over 2005 say 2006/7 its free to fix by ms

Not sure as I havent got it from him yet. He's going to give it me tomorrow.

Wot Mr Bean said. If less than 3 year old, call up MS & they will send a courier, pick it up, fix it and return it Gratis. Just use the customer service number you can find on Xbox.com.

I've done it, it really is that simple

My brother was wrapping his Xbox in towels for about 6 months to fix the ring of death (see you tube if you don't believe me) until I told him to call up xbox and voila! XBox fixed for nowt.

Original Poster

redjay1;3735875

Wot Mr Bean said. If less than 3 year old, call up MS & they will send a … Wot Mr Bean said. If less than 3 year old, call up MS & they will send a courier, pick it up, fix it and return it Gratis. Just use the customer service number you can find on Xbox.com.I've done it, it really is that simpleMy brother was wrapping his Xbox in towels for about 6 months to fix the ring of death (see you tube if you don't believe me) until I told him to call up xbox and voila! XBox fixed for nowt.

I believe you!! That was one of the first things that came up on the search!!!!

if its out of warranty, doesnt have a warranty sticker or you just dont want to wait, you can fix it yourself. But you have to be quite tech savvy & familiar with PC hardware to stand a good chance of fixing it.

you will have to:

open case, disconnect components, remove motherboard, remove heatsinks, replace thermal compound, replace X-Clamp with suitable washers & bolts, leave it on for 20-30mins, switch off, switch back on & if its ok its fixed.

i will attempt this on my v1 Xenon when it dies, then replace with Jasper if it doesnt work

Mine as the E73 error code again... but it's easy to fix... lol
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. EasyJet flights for summer 2018 (up until 2nd Sept 2018) will be released o…11
      2. Potential upcoming Argos glitch or buggy app?109
      3. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1851337
      4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423414457

See more discussions