Fixing wooden strip of wood (quadrant shape) to wall

Found 24th Jan 2016
I've been putting up some thermal sound proof paper on one bedroom wall. The edge where it meets the window frame is 'raw', so I've bought a long, thin strip of pine wood (quadrant shape), size 6 mm x 6 mm x 2000 mm - so that it hides the raw edge. One size of the quadrant needs to be stuck to the wooden frame on the window and the other side straight to the plastered wall - can somebody tell me what sort of glue (?) I should use to stick this to the wall please? Just wondering if the extra strong glue that was bought especially to stick the thermal paper to the wall, would be ok to use?

Also, I was going to fill the small gaps in the corner of the room where the thicker sound proof paper meets up with the blown vinyl paper (on the other wall). Would I use decorator's caulk to fill this in or a silicone filler? I did actually try holding the quadrant piece of wood up against the gap and it looks ok, but do people sometimes use a piece of this wood to fill a corner gap rather than a filler? If I decide to use some wood, would the normal emulsion paint (matt) that I have bought for the walls cover this wood, or would I have to use a gloss paint for it? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
6 Comments
I would use an all purpose adhesive like Sticks All or No More Nails to stick it on... They have an instant "grab" to hold it in place..

The emulsion will be fine to paint it. Gloss is normally used on facings & skirtings as they are high wear areas & can be wiped down if glossed..
Caulk as it will take the paint were silicone will not. As for fixing the quadrant I would personally use pins but the more modern approach would be the no nails. I wouldn't use wood to fill the gap between the papers.
Edited by: "Argoj" 24th Jan 2016
Original Poster
Argoj

Caulk as it will take the paint were silicone will not. As for fixing the … Caulk as it will take the paint were silicone will not. As for fixing the quadrant I would personally use pins but the more modern approach would be the no nails. I wouldn't use wood to fill the gap between the papers.

Ok, thank you for the advice - will stick with the caulk. Also, when preparing around the double glazed windows before paper, I removed some of the old, dirty (was white) tatty (stretchy silicone?). Was it actually normal silicone that I removed, or is there a special product that you use to fill the gaps around the double glazed window units - if it is a special product, do you actually know what I have to buy to replace the bits that I removed? Thank you.
Although you get products that will denote a specific purpose for a silicone, for this sort of internal job a general use one will be fine.
Original Poster
Argoj

Although you get products that will denote a specific purpose for a … Although you get products that will denote a specific purpose for a silicone, for this sort of internal job a general use one will be fine.

Thank you for letting me know.
Sophiasky

Thank you for letting me know.

​I'd recommend an anti mould one personally, more expensive but worth it to keep it looking better for longer
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants