Groups
    EXPIRED

Flamedeer 2014 .. That was the Competition that was

So it's all over for another year .. thoughts ?

Can improvements be made to how it's run or do you enjoy the whack-a-mole aspect of deer hunting ?

All thoughts and opinions are welcome ..

137 Comments

Did you win a gold in the end Hank?

Winners will be announced shortly (_;)
    I would love to see the times too. See when the Golden bearded was won

did you get that video up?

Original Poster

Obviously I had some "issues" with the competition itself and subsequently revealed how I was collecting deer. This was apparently a direct contradiction of the rules of the competition and i was subsequently disqualified, but it was entirely my choice to do so because I didn't really want to have any part of it any more.

I did manage to record what I was doing on video and I'd certainly be interested to read your opinions as to whether or not it was "cheating" or "automation" or whether or not I gained any kind of unfair advantage.

All opinions are welcome, even those of you who want to be horrible

youtube.com/watch?v=1-HJ3t2fmBY

transit

Did you win a gold in the end Hank?

No such luck
    Edited by: "HankHandsome" 19th Dec 2014

Original Poster

Also bear in mind that this thread, as well as me, could well be summarily removed from HUKD I suppose

Editor

I honestly can not explain my happiness at this news, When my boy was born 4 years ago I remember holding him in my arms as we decided on a name for him and a tear dripped down the left hand side of my face with happiness.

I swear to god two have just dripped, I am so happy

Original Poster

Weirdo

HankHandsome

Obviously I had some "issues" with the competition itself and … Obviously I had some "issues" with the competition itself and subsequently revealed how I was collecting deer. This was apparently a direct contradiction of the rules of the competition and i was subsequently disqualified, but it was entirely my choice to do so because I didn't really want to have any part of it any more.I did manage to record what I was doing on video and I'd certainly be interested to read your opinions as to whether or not it was "cheating" or "automation" or whether or not I gained any kind of unfair advantage.All opinions are welcome, even those of you who want to be horrible :Dhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-HJ3t2fmBYNo such luck

Don't think you've cheated tbh, you've used your initiative , collected umpteen flamedeer but still came away like most of us with nothing.

Original Poster

transit

Don't think you've cheated tbh, you've used your initiative , collected … Don't think you've cheated tbh, you've used your initiative , collected umpteen flamedeer but still came away like most of us with nothing.

Thanks for that

Better prizes, rather then very old tech would be nice.

Not sure what I would have done had I won an Xbox 360.

Cheat! Definitely cheating

Can all the newbs please now vacate misc, your pass has expired

kingchris

Better prizes, rather then very old tech would be nice.Not sure what I … Better prizes, rather then very old tech would be nice.Not sure what I would have done had I won an Xbox 360.

Give it to me for xmas

Editor

markq

Can all the newbs please now vacate misc, your pass has expired

Apologies see you next year.

OMG Hank LOL that was hilarious to watch. Personally I don't think it was cheating, obviously there is the option of clicking one by one and then there is what you did which is opening up the links in one go and going through them quicker. How is that cheating? Maybe HUKD should come up with a different format or different ways that the deers appear.

I use the hotukdeals droid app and last year I could collect them using this app. This year they somehow stopped this from happening so I haven't bothered! To be honest I was a little fed up with the constant flamedeer posts!

Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater

http://i61.tinypic.com/1040n69.jpg

Can't wait to see the winners for the big prizes hopefully it is members that have posted deals and pillars of the community and not ghosts with empty profiles .

you're my hero hank LOL

Original Poster

Lexa

OMG Hank LOL that was hilarious to watch. Personally I don't think it was … OMG Hank LOL that was hilarious to watch. Personally I don't think it was cheating, obviously there is the option of clicking one by one and then there is what you did which is opening up the links in one go and going through them quicker. How is that cheating? Maybe HUKD should come up with a different format or different ways that the deers appear.

A few people posted the exact same method in one of the 'official' threads about going in to chrome and holding down the CTRL key and clicking on to each link in succession to open it in a new tab and then cycling through each tab in turn looking for deer.

The only difference, of course, being that i used a freely available browser extension to do it.

Obviously it's HUKD's competition and they can interpret the rules however they see fit, but i can't see how there's any real "automation" in what i did. They could possibly argue that it's a script, since it's a browser plug-in, but there's certainly nothing automatic about what i did.

Original Poster

Here's a random thought - maybe doing what i've done will give HUKD something to think about and to re-work the competition to make it fairer on all and not, as i said on another thread, the equivalent of throwing a pound coin into a room full of 4,000 people and saying "first one who gets it can keep it".

HankHandsome

Also bear in mind that this thread, as well as me, could well be … Also bear in mind that this thread, as well as me, could well be summarily removed from HUKD I suppose

I hope not. You've done nothing wrong imo.

If i had tried that with my computer it would have probably froze and shut itself down X)

Original Poster

Dontforg3t

I hope not. You've done nothing wrong imo.If i had tried that with my … I hope not. You've done nothing wrong imo.If i had tried that with my computer it would have probably froze and shut itself down X)

.. and then blown up

Glad it's over, maybe now people will stop posting Sherlock Holmes on Google play

http://planetsave.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/reindeer.jpg

I was expecting some kind of hack, instead of merely using the browser's tools. The disqualification seems a little unfair, especially as this method didn't attract any gold.

Its something I can't do on my tablet thus is an unfair advantage

HankHandsome

.. and then blown up

I don't think I'd have had the patience to do that! Fair play!

Error440

Its something I can't do on my tablet thus is an unfair advantage

some of us work and cant search for them all day

oh and... flamedeer comp has always been terrible
    Edited by: "brilly" 19th Dec 2014

Yes i think this was much fairer!

http://i.imgur.com/5nH9x.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/10yfasw.gif
    Edited by: "haritori" 19th Dec 2014

Original Poster

have to nick off for a bit but I'll keep an eye on the thread and reply later

Tbh I dont think it was cheating on Hank's part. He still had to manually collect the deer which is the aim.

I wish trading was removed and more gold were available.

Really it's over it was only on for a week it's normally on for 2

Not too sure if it should be classed as cheating but don't you think that by you using your method to claim hundreds of them meant that others missed out? I'm assuming each time there were flamedeer flashing up that only certain amounts at a time were allocated to each page and that's why so many would end up getting "this batch has all gone" which may not have happened if you hadn't got to them all first.

Apart from that, it was a bit obvious that some people would have advantages over others. Not everyone could access them from their phones, not everyone knew they could view the facebook page, not everyone knew about twitter, google+ etc and slower broadband speeds in certain parts of the country would have affected some too.

I'd have liked a jingly noise alert for them though so I could at least have been able to grab a cuppa without fearing I'd missed one

I spend a lot of my time on HUKD and I only managed to get 2 deer. not sure if I don't get how to catch them or if I need to spend more time on tr site

HeHateMe

Tbh I dont think it was cheating on Hank's part. He still had to manually … Tbh I dont think it was cheating on Hank's part. He still had to manually collect the deer which is the aim.I wish trading was removed and more gold were available.

i agree...
    and to ask - did someone catch a deer over the last 5 mins of the comp?

I think that you deserve 10 out of 10 for innovation and 0 out of 10 for your choice of music whilst hunting. What on earth were you listening to !!

viggilante

i agree...and to ask - did someone catch a deer over the last 5 mins of … i agree...and to ask - did someone catch a deer over the last 5 mins of the comp?

No I didn't ... but that was pretty much par for the course throughout the comp

gerrymig

I think that you deserve 10 out of 10 for innovation and 0 out of 10 for … I think that you deserve 10 out of 10 for innovation and 0 out of 10 for your choice of music whilst hunting. What on earth were you listening to !!

hehe, i was thinking the same...:)

Here comes my favourite part of the Flamedeer comp. There's going to be so many "I should have won, it's a fix!" comments coming!

transit

Don't think you've cheated tbh, you've used your initiative , collected … Don't think you've cheated tbh, you've used your initiative , collected umpteen flamedeer but still came away like most of us with nothing.

Yep. Looks to me like using your noggin - you've just made it a bit easier for you to do it, you can't sway the outcome in your favour doing that. No automation involved, just heavy searching!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
      2. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?33
      4. Furniture Sliders45

See more discussions