'Flaming car' crashed into Glasgow Airport

Found 30th Jun 2007
A car on fire has been driven at the main terminal building at Glasgow Airport, police have confirmed.

Eyewitnesses have described a Jeep Cherokee being driven at speed towards the building with flames coming out from underneath.

They have also described seeing two Asian men, one of whom was on fire, who had been in the car.

The airport has been evacuated and all flights suspended following the incident at 1515 BST.

A Whitehall spokesman said the incident was not being treated as a national security threat.

One eyewitness said: "I heard the sound of a car's wheels spinning and smoke coming out.

"I saw a Jeep Cherokee apparently as if it was trying to get right through the doors into the terminal building.

"There were flames coming out from underneath then some men appeared from in amongst the flames.

"The police ran over and the people started fighting with the police. I then heard what sounded like an explosion."

Eye-witness Richard Gray told BBC News 24: "A green Jeep was in the middle of the doorway burning.

"There was an Asian guy who was pulled out of the car by two police officers, who he was trying to fight off. They've got him on the ground.

"The car didn't actually explode. There were a few pops and bangs which presumably was the petrol."

Taxi driver Ian Crosby said: "This was no accident. This was a deliberate attack on Glasgow Airport."

The reaction of members of the public was not to help the men in the car, but to restrain them, he told the BBC.

Mr Crosby, who said he served in Northern Ireland, told how he shepherded people away from the scene in case of a secondary explosion or a nail-bomb.

Two men, one of whom was reported to be badly burned, were seen being led away in handcuffs.

All flights are cancelled so if your going to glasgow airport, don't go!

69 Comments

was just reading about this. Apparantly the guys doing it are/were Asian and Muslim...

Typical. When will these people stop trying to blow us up? And by them, i mean the radical Muslims

If its not because "we (as in uk)" have gone to war, It would be because something else has been said or done.

If they are in the mind set to blow themselves up, They are going to it anyway.

Banned

in$anity

was just reading about this. Apparantly the guys doing it are/were Asian … was just reading about this. Apparantly the guys doing it are/were Asian and Muslim...Typical. When will these people stop trying to blow us up? And by them, i mean the radical Muslims

Once they've (your words - not mine!) succeded, silly.

Can't say it is not expected, I moan about airport security daily.

The police do not patrol or do security at any UK airports, it is the responsibility of the airport operator, which I think is wrong. :x

hope ALL in glasgow are safe...

Sickens me how anyone would want to hurt/kill anyone else

Crazy1

Can't say it is not expected, I moan about airport security daily.The … Can't say it is not expected, I moan about airport security daily.The police do not patrol or do security at any UK airports, it is the responsibility of the airport operator, which I think is wrong. :x

I'm sorry crazy but they do in edinburgh airport I only kow this cos my mate keeps getting posted there on nightshift much to his delight as it beats running after neds through edinburgh center

Heathrow is normally full of security to.

Banned

Crazy1

Can't say it is not expected, I moan about airport security daily.The … Can't say it is not expected, I moan about airport security daily.The police do not patrol or do security at any UK airports, it is the responsibility of the airport operator, which I think is wrong. :x

I think if you pop over to Bristol airport you will find a few police walking about, plus Tx(firearms ) units walk about so not strictly true about No police :x

either way what is a policeman going to do when a jeep is driving towards them on fire about to go into the building?

Really doubt that would of stopped this happening.

Yeah this was abit too close to home for my liking.

dog_cop

I think if you pop over to Bristol airport you will find a few police … I think if you pop over to Bristol airport you will find a few police walking about, plus Tx(firearms ) units walk about so not strictly true about No police :x

No police when I went to Bristol airport earlier in the month

Banned

J.Dance

No police when I went to Bristol airport earlier in the month

did you look hard enough ... ? I saw your mad professor pic in the weston guts ache :whistling:

Original Poster

Edinburgh Airport has now been closed for security.

tazandsaz

Sickens me how anyone would want to hurt/kill anyone else

Me too, sorry to say but, the world is getting madder and sadder by the day. :-(

Hopefully the ones caught in Scotland are the ones that previously tried to blow up the Mercs in Haymarket and Park Lane.

Original Poster

Iom-RF

Hopefully the ones caught in Scotland are the ones that previously tried … Hopefully the ones caught in Scotland are the ones that previously tried to blow up the Mercs in Haymarket and Park Lane.

Doubt it but it could be possible, im wondering why they didnt target edinburgh though, tis the capital and all.

t0mm

Doubt it but it could be possible, im wondering why they didnt target … Doubt it but it could be possible, im wondering why they didnt target edinburgh though, tis the capital and all.

Additional security today due to the queens visit I guess

You think its bad over here, have a thought for those poor sods in Iraq.

tazandsaz

hope ALL in glasgow are safe...Sickens me how anyone would want to … hope ALL in glasgow are safe...Sickens me how anyone would want to hurt/kill anyone else

Same here

t0mm

Edinburgh Airport has now been closed for security.

As has the one here in Blackpool according to Sky News. That's a laugh. They probably don't have any flights til tomorrow now anyway. :giggle:

duckmagicuk2

As has the one here in Blackpool according to Sky News. That's a laugh. … As has the one here in Blackpool according to Sky News. That's a laugh. They probably don't have any flights til tomorrow now anyway. :giggle:

Hasn't blackpool got like only 3 gates :lol:

I bet that they put a temporary restriction on cars getting near any vulnerable airport terminal in the UK until they make sure barriers are in place to stop any "ram raiding" type bombing...

vinylandtrinkets

well i think this is starting to look really bad now,

Look at it this way: It is slightly safer to travel now

By that i mean there will be more thorough checks etc.

emasu

Hasn't blackpool got like only 3 gates :lol:

Yeah, something like that. They only do internal flights, Ireland and Madrid.

vinylandtrinkets

yep your proberly right. but its still scary

Indeed - especially for nervous/first time flyers.

Question for ducky:- Is the air baloon still a 2for1? :?

gari189

I bet that they put a temporary restriction on cars getting near any … I bet that they put a temporary restriction on cars getting near any vulnerable airport terminal in the UK until they make sure barriers are in place to stop any "ram raiding" type bombing...

What do you think stopped them at Glasgow? The bollards are at all airports to stop this not to seperate the pedestrians.
The reason Glasgow rather than Edinburgh? Glasgow`s bigger more disruption and as some one said previosly with the Queen being in Edinburgh security would be tighter.

I have been chatting to someone on another forum who is claiming there has been a bomb at Cardiff train station.

Not heard anything on the news yet!!!

I've got news 24 on becky so i'll tell everyone if anythings happened

BECKYBOO

I have been chatting to someone on another forum who is claiming there … I have been chatting to someone on another forum who is claiming there has been a bomb at Cardiff train station.Not heard anything on the news yet!!!

I'm sure it will be on the news before long if it turns out to be true.

Original Poster

Liverpool John Lennon Airport - Now closed until further notice.

BBC 24.

emasu

I've got news 24 on becky so i'll tell everyone if anythings happened

Yes i am watching too, she claimed she heard an explosion and sirens heading to the train station, who knows.........Its a bit scary really.

The terrorists are getting exactly what they want, Fear and panic.

Original Poster

Where'd you hear that becky? about cardiff?

t0mm

Liverpool John Lennon Airport - Now closed until further notice.BBC 24.

what the .....??!?!!?

t0mm

Liverpool John Lennon Airport - Now closed until further notice.BBC 24.

I aint seen that... just the police conference :thinking:

t0mm

Where'd you hear that becky? about cardiff?

On a pregnancy forum i go on, one of the girls said her husband was on a bus near where it happened.

Original Poster

Im thinking its bbc 24, VM's downstairs

channel 601.

But Liverpools closed.

BECKYBOO

On a pregnancy forum i go on, one of the girls said her husband was on a … On a pregnancy forum i go on, one of the girls said her husband was on a bus near where it happened.

When was the alleged "explosion"?

emasu

When was the alleged "explosion"?

About 45 mins ago now.

Iom-RF

The terrorists are getting exactly what they want, Fear and panic.

Exactly ;-)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Free sweet Sunday’s code22
  2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769365
  3. Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland3067
  4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITHOUT* A VPN (Virtual Private Netwo…1951380

See more discussions