Groups

flash drive randomly changed to write protected

I was in the middle of transferring files and it randomly said the flash drive is write protected roughly half way through.

Now when I connect my usb to the laptop it makes the sound that a device is connected and the USB lights up but it does not show up on the PC straight away and when it eventually does and I right click it the window freezes until I remove the drive.

Any ideas?

15 Comments

Drive is knackered. Time to buy a new one.

kester76

​As above. Is it a decent make or likely to be a fake?

I had an old one that had a switch that changed it to read only, maybe check if yours does. Failing that buy a new one.

Sounds like it's reached it's limit, I agree there's not much you can do other than get another.

Original Poster

dothedealnow

​As above. Is it a decent make or likely to be a fake?

Its a Lexar 32gb one

Original Poster

kester76

Thanks! Just was in two minds if it was a virus that did it or not

Original Poster

tomj17

I had an old one that had a switch that changed it to read only, maybe … I had an old one that had a switch that changed it to read only, maybe check if yours does. Failing that buy a new one.

I checked mine for any type of switch but none found. Ill just have to buy a new one. Thanks

jjo9

Its a Lexar 32gb one

Where did you buy it from?

jjo9

Its a Lexar 32gb one

​Be careful where you buy from. Plenty of undersized in GB fakes around.

yeah i bought some that were fakes, had to threaten the seller with paypal to get money back

I've had a Sandisk Cruzer for years and it's always been fine. Also have a HP metal one that's 64gb and 3.0 that works extremely well.

Original Poster

misterleoni

Where did you buy it from?

I got it from MyMemory about 2 years ago maybe

Lexar are very good with warranty - it could be lifetime...

have u tried it in a different port but does seem like it's had its days

If a flash memory device reaches its end of write life, it makes itself "Read Only".

If it was new, then almost certainly a fake; sadly there are many fakes about, even a few getting into the legitimate supply chain. I test all mine with h2testw.exe, a free program that tests the capacity and the read/write speeds.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Ripped off by GearBest, VERY ANGRY!1719
      2. Iptv1228
      3. Music download79
      4. FedEx sent me a Duty & Tax Invoice - Advice needed67

See more discussions