1. Tes Deals
Groups

Flash or Static Websites

Hello All,

When visiting a website do you prefer a 'wow' Flash based site or a graphics orientated xhtml/css based one?

I am wanting to build a portfolio site and am thinking of going the graphical css route as it offers better SEO and quicker load times.

Just wanted people's thoughts and opinions on their experience of visiting different websites.

Any other design orientated members out there :whistling:

Thanks,

18 Comments

Banned

Flash annoys me and my epilepsy.

Css without a doubt.

Flash takes ages to load and your dumping anyone with a slow connection off your site (Well it takes so long they can't be arsed waiting!)

I have to agree that for me it's the graphics orientated xhtml/css based route.

If it's meant to be a professional site then using flash is a big no no.

CSS is nice.

CSS definatly. Flash looks too templated and takes ages to load.

flash...noooooooooooooooooo

If I happen to stumble upon a flash site, I leave immediately - hate the damn things !!

No flash, please!!!!! Instant turn-off, I usually go to another page rather than wait for it all to load.

Original Poster

Thank you for your instant feedback and thoughts!

I used to design solely in tables and/or flash but have realised people are put of by this approach more and more!

I just now need to polish up on my xhtml and css skills via using good old notepad.

Thanks again

speedking

Thank you for your instant feedback and thoughts!I used to design solely … Thank you for your instant feedback and thoughts!I used to design solely in tables and/or flash but have realised people are put of by this approach more and more! I just now need to polish up on my xhtml and css skills via using good old notepad.Thanks again

Ah, gotta love editing in notepad

I'm useless at creating good looking websites personally, but what I'd say I am good at, is getting a pre-made template and hacking at it in notepad to fit my needs :thumbsup:

Also, one other advantage of you not using Flash is that it makes it a lot more accessible to people with screenreaders etc. :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Hey Mattitude "I am good at, is getting a pre-made template and hacking at it in notepad to fit my needs"

You freelance designer? I can not imagine that happening in a design studio!

Yeah Flash is becoming too bloated! It seems fine for simple things but not fully blown websites. Only recently got into css but just need to grasp it fully before converting all designs over to .html etc

speedking

Hey Mattitude "I am good at, is getting a pre-made template and hacking … Hey Mattitude "I am good at, is getting a pre-made template and hacking at it in notepad to fit my needs"You freelance designer? I can not imagine that happening in a design studio!Yeah Flash is becoming too bloated! It seems fine for simple things but not fully blown websites. Only recently got into css but just need to grasp it fully before converting all designs over to .html etc

Nope, like I said - I'm no good at actual designs. I just do it for my own websites

One thing I am attempting to get into more though is PHP (and MySQL), since I use SMF a lot

Server Side Includes are great though :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Hey Mattiude,

Yeah PHP and MySQL is a killer combo

That SMF looks great. I am trying to do something similar. I am trying to build an online community using a PHP and MySQL framework but have to learn xhtml and css to skin the actual templates to make sure it looks nice!

Open source software is great isn't it

speedking

Hey Mattiude,Yeah PHP and MySQL is a killer combo :)That SMF looks great. … Hey Mattiude,Yeah PHP and MySQL is a killer combo :)That SMF looks great. I am trying to do something similar. I am trying to build an online community using a PHP and MySQL framework but have to learn xhtml and css to skin the actual templates to make sure it looks nice!Open source software is great isn't it

I truly believe in SMF so much that I actually joined the team a couple of years ago that makes it - although at this current time due to my health I am not on the team.

Original Poster

Get well soon dude!

I am not much of a developer. I prefer graphics and designing things rather than hardcore coding!

As I began looking at jobs most want css and xhtml rather than Flash and Actionscripting hence having to make a change. Are you familiar with CMS systems? They are the reason I am making a change becuase you can attach the css and style the CMS templates.

speedking

Get well soon dude!I am not much of a developer. I prefer graphics and … Get well soon dude!I am not much of a developer. I prefer graphics and designing things rather than hardcore coding!As I began looking at jobs most want css and xhtml rather than Flash and Actionscripting hence having to make a change. Are you familiar with CMS systems? They are the reason I am making a change becuase you can attach the css and style the CMS templates.

I'm slightly familiar with Joomla and Mambo, but that's from a couple of quick looks at the demo - I prefered to go with the TinyPortal mod for SMF instead.

That's one great thing about SMF in my opinion though - the Package Manager - you can install many modifications at the touch of a button, instead of having to spend ages manually editing (although if you are using a different theme than the default, then if there are any specific theme edits in the modification, you would need to manually apply it to the theme yourself.

:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846221
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17416144
      3. I've got 2 for 1 codes to use at Thorpe Park/Sea Life, Yeoken vouchers, The…34
      4. Weekly game codes giveaway 1831227

See more discussions