Flat car battery and lifespan

Posted 19th Aug 2020
I bought a new battery for the car at the end of last year but since the covid shenanigans, the car isn't used that often.

However, once lockdown eased, I was taking it for a spin every 2-4 weeks around the area for about 20 minutes. It;s been over a month (think may even be 6wks or so) since I did this and the battery has now gone flat.

I have it charging on an intelligent charger but wondered if I have damaged the cells in the battery thus reducing it's lifespan or should I be OK and the battery will 'recover' once fully charged?
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
Where did you buy the battery? Most of them have 3 or 5 year guarantees if bought from normal Motoring outlets...
Lack of use, electronic devices active will certainly mean it won’t get charged. 20 minutes may also not be enough to charge it depending on how you were driving etc.
deleted850850
Do you have a dashcam or anything plugged into the cigarette lighter socket? I killed two batteries by leaving a multi-adapter thing plugged in!
Fairly certain there is nothing unduly draining the battery - car only has a stereo installed.

I think the battery went flat due to no use for several weeks and, as @eslick mentioned above, not enough usage when taken for a spin locally.

At this stage, I wanted to get an idea if, potentially, there has been any long term damage caused to the battery.
Edited by: "HappyShopper" 19th Aug
HappyShopper19/08/2020 14:37

Fairly certain there is nothing unduly draining the battery - car only has …Fairly certain there is nothing unduly draining the battery - car only has a stereo installed.I think the battery went flat due to no use for several weeks and, as @eslick mentioned above, not enough usage when taken for a spin locally.At this stage, I wanted to get an idea if, potentially, there has been any long term damage caused to the battery.

doubt there will be any damage after you use if more often you will forget all about the issues you had.
Halfords ,Kwikfit, National tyres etc will do a test and printout to say what the condition of the battery is for free.
Then try to sell you a replacemont for 2 or 3 times the price.
But its a free way to find out the
SOH, State of Health
SOC, State of Charge
bigwheels19/08/2020 15:14

Halfords ,Kwikfit, National tyres etc will do a test and printout to say …Halfords ,Kwikfit, National tyres etc will do a test and printout to say what the condition of the battery is for free.Then try to sell you a replacemont for 2 or 3 times the price.But its a free way to find out theSOH, State of HealthSOC, State of Charge

Halfrauds and Kwik fit will say the battery is worn out and needs replacing, unless it's one supplied by them and still under guarantee then it'll be in good order!
In the past I had this issue and it does impact the life span of the battery. Try where you can to keep the battery charged up, as others have said 20 minutes may not be enough to replenish the charge consumed with starting the car, a great deal depends on the car, if it has a smart charging circuit, battery capacity etc.
PaulandPam19/08/2020 15:51

Halfrauds and Kwik fit will say the battery is worn out and needs …Halfrauds and Kwik fit will say the battery is worn out and needs replacing, unless it's one supplied by them and still under guarantee then it'll be in good order!

Halford do a print out that state condition so you can check yourself.
Ive got a home tester from topdon.
Works well for £13.00.
Helped loads of friends with out needing to go to garage.
My mate went back to costco with a bad Bosch battery, Showed them a pic of tester result and the just gave him a new one,
3.9 year old battery
Halfords didn't print anything for me. Just showed me the battery health on their device.
Didn't advice me on any solution whatsoever!

Anyway I bought a £30 trickle charger, which required 14hr charge and since then my battery has been fine.
bigwheels19/08/2020 16:22

Halford do a print out that state condition so you can check yourself.Ive …Halford do a print out that state condition so you can check yourself.Ive got a home tester from topdon.Works well for £13.00.Helped loads of friends with out needing to go to garage.My mate went back to costco with a bad Bosch battery, Showed them a pic of tester result and the just gave him a new one,3.9 year old battery

Topdons seem to be around £50 on Amazon. Covid price?

Presumably some smart Alec will have put up a video on how to measure battery health using a piece of string and 2 corks. Well, with a simple multimeter anyway.
Any longer than 2 weeks and you're chancing it with modern cars.
Run it for 10mins+
Post a comment
@
    Text