Flat Rental Near Durham University

Found 18th Jun
Could anyone give their input please on areas surrounding Durham University. My married daughter (25yrs of age) is due to start studying in September at Durham University, she is looking to rent either a 1 or 2 bed flat rather than use the halls of residence or house share (so her husband can visit). We’ve looked on rightmove and seen some available in Brandon and Shaw Moor that look perfect for under £500 per month. I’ve never been north of Watford and looking for opinions on the areas or a few alternatives. She will probably use public transport/walk to the University, so not too far out.
Also can you advise any areas to avoid.
Thanks for any information
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Wish my wife would study away from home for 3 years.

Education is important
9 Comments
Wish my wife would study away from home for 3 years.

Education is important
Have you looked on the student website for Durham UNI - or the Facebook page - our son found the FB page for the UNI and subsequent course and accommodations groups. Good luck and well done to your daughter.
windym8 m ago

Have you looked on the student website for Durham UNI - or the Facebook …Have you looked on the student website for Durham UNI - or the Facebook page - our son found the FB page for the UNI and subsequent course and accommodations groups. Good luck and well done to your daughter.

Not sure what she’s actually done in the way of research, but she’s used to having her own flat/facilities in a nice part of town and doesn’t want to share a bathroom or kitchen so looks like renting privately might be her only option.
Edited by: "Toptrumpet" 18th Jun
Toptrumpet2 m ago

Not sure what she’s actually done in the way of research, but she’s used to …Not sure what she’s actually done in the way of research, but she’s used to having her own facilities in a nice part of town and doesn’t want to share a bathroom or kitchen facilities, so looks like renting privately might be her only option.

Yes, sorry I didn't mean for her to be in Halls, but to get the collective opinions of those actually there now. There are usually post-grad accommodations which would appeal more to her than the Halls and first years. Those there now could probably point her more in the best direction.
Edited by: "windym" 18th Jun
Thanks for that information. Trouble is she left school at 16 and has been out of education for the best part of 10 years now, so she’ll be a very new classmate but with perhaps a maturer attitude and wants to escape to a nice flat at the end of the day, if that makes sense?
Fraid I can't help on the accomodation front, but I send every best wish for your daughter's success. A bold and brave move, which I admire and support from the background.
Hello, not from the Durham area but from Newcastle... it might be worth trying to find a flat in Chester Le Street near the train station? You could find a nice one for £500pcm, and it only takes 8 mins on certain trains to get to Durham city centre. Otherwise, I’m pretty sure buses would go from there as they do from Newcastle
She will need a guarantor to rent with an agency if she's not working and she's a student... Her husband maybe or you parents.

Even a private landlord will not rent to a student without a guarantor.

I'm sure you already knew.

You are not forced to house share as a student if you don't want to (at 25 I understand her wanting privacy as I would not house share myself and I'm not that much older) but you'll need a guarantor to rent anything as a student won't have full time income.
Just a quick update (if anyone’s interested).
We went up to Durham last weekend only to find the accommodation on offer very expensive and low quality.
In desperation we ended up viewing a few properties for sale and decided to buy a 2 bedroom mews cottage on a private estate where they’ve done barn conversions etc within 1 mile of the University with a view that in 5 years time if they want to get their own place we can retire up there.
We have agreed the monthly rent to cover the mortgage etc.
Good old bank of Mum&Dad to the rescue AGAIN!
Bang goes my new kitchen, Convertible, Botox and liposuction.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants