Flat roof replacement

Posted 26th Oct
I have an old flat roof that needs replacing at the back of my house. Around 2x1m. Spoke to my usual roofer that I’ve used before and been quoted £850 which includes new osb boards and 2x underlay and 1 top layer of felt if I want lead £2200. Is this a steep price or the going rate. From looking online (probably not accurate I know) I had estimated myself perhaps max £500/600 but it seems like quite a lot for such a small amount of roof. I’m not looking for the cheapest possible but something that will be worth the money and last a long time and just don’t want to be ripped off. I should say my location is Croydon. I’m sure that plays into it. I generally use my local roofer as he lives close and has said it’s really convenient for him to do work in my area but was slightly surprised at the quote.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
why don't you look at EPDM roofing, super easy to install yourself and at that size, it won't take you longer that a few hours. It's also one piece, so no risk of leaking. look at somebody like permaroof, i have just finished installing mine, but it was 9 x 4m, so quite a lot larger, and it wasn't at all difficult.
27 Comments
why don't you look at EPDM roofing, super easy to install yourself and at that size, it won't take you longer that a few hours. It's also one piece, so no risk of leaking. look at somebody like permaroof, i have just finished installing mine, but it was 9 x 4m, so quite a lot larger, and it wasn't at all difficult.
Thats really interesting! Thanks for letting me know. I’ll have a google. Have done lots of diy in the house so hopefully wont be too difficult. Thanks!
I paid £1200 six years ago for a flat roof replacement double the size of yours, including new chippings. Part of the problem is the ton of stuff that has to be removed first and got rid off. I'm not a million miles from you

Edit: Very senior moment there - it is at least 8m x 4m, too busy trying to catch deers!
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 27th Oct
My mother's flat roof on her new kitchen extension is made of a grey fiberglass, could be cheaper for you.
You also mention board replacements, which probably pushed the price up
you really only need basic tools, hammer, paint roller, scissors etc, so if you're comfortabel with DIY, this'll be a breeze for you, and should come in way under £850. there is always room to haggle (with permaroof at least) as well.
Edited by: "mrjheeta" 26th Oct
Hi - have just had our garage roof replaced and so can offer some comments which may help.

The information in this paragraph comes from the roofer I used, with his 30 years of experience. The latest "felt" roofing materials are usually guaranteed against failure by the roofer for at least 10 years for a 2 layer replacement and at least 15 for a 3 layer one, These have a life expectancy of 20 to 25 years and 25 to 30 years respectively. In a domestic environment, the usual upgrade from "felt" is EPDM Rubber which normally is guaranteed for 25 years.

My conclusion when given the quote for our garage roof was that it too was high but having collected 3 quotes, his was the best bang for the buck and I am happy with the job that he did. I would suggest that you might try for 3 quotes too. One of my quotes came from someone that I knew locally and the other 2 came through this site (I have no connection to this site, except that I have used it for quotes) - ratedpeople.com - I put the job on here with basic information and by the time I walked downstairs to tell my wife the 'phone rang with the first tradesman and the second one called within 20 minutes. All done and dusted from leaky roof through quote to new roof in just 10 days.

My purely personal thoughts are:-

First up - like so many things, size matters! In many ways, it is much easier to do a large area than a small one and a small area like this will take a disproportionate amount of time. For example, I am guessing that your roofer is charging you for two days labour as there is no way he can know how long it will actually take him to strip the roof down to the rafters and then replace everything (unless he has stripped it to the rafters before. The other thing to remember is that, if he is a proper tradesman, he will have to legally dispose of your old roof and that is not cheap either.

When it came to decide on who to go with, I went on a combination of price and gut-feelings and I have no regrets about my choice. I also said to myself that whilst the final cost might be a little higher than I expected I am confident of the roofer's skills. Then I divided the cost by the expected life of the roof and decided that it really was not worth nit-picking over the price.

Of course, only time will tell whether the decision was correct or not but is that not the case whatever we choose to do??
Not sure exactly what kind of roof you want but have you looked at planwell....again very easy to install yourself but not sure about pricing as a few years since we ordered from them
Just put a pitch on it and forget about it for the rest of your life. Cost will probably be similar to a flat roof done properly.
Thanks for all the comments. Will be getting more quotes on Monday. Me and my wife have basically fully renovated the house apart from plastering and electrics everything else we have done ourselves. So fully willing to give it a go. Pitching the roof would be difficult as it is extended from a slanted roof already so would have to re do the whole lot perhaps! I’ve already repaired the roof once to try to get me through winter but it doesnt seem to be lasting. When I originally looked at it it looks like it will just un tack off. It really isnt held by much really. Thanks again for everyones replies. Its given me lots to google and check out! Perhaps this picture will help to see what Im dealing with. Thanks again!
38786570-Fe1CJ.jpg
London rates....
mrjheeta26/10/2019 16:42

why don't you look at EPDM roofing, super easy to install yourself and at …why don't you look at EPDM roofing, super easy to install yourself and at that size, it won't take you longer that a few hours. It's also one piece, so no risk of leaking. look at somebody like permaroof, i have just finished installing mine, but it was 9 x 4m, so quite a lot larger, and it wasn't at all difficult.

EPDM will break down after about 10 years, due to the Sun in summer and cold as it shrinks in winter.
Fibreglass is the only way to go with a flat roof. I have tried pitch and Rubber, but Fibreglass will out last the lost. The price that you have been quoted for a pitch room is ridiculous.
Fibreglass is the only way to go with a flat roof. I have tried pitch and Rubber, but Fibreglass will outlast the lost. The price that you have been quoted for a pitch room is ridiculous. Get a Fibreglass quote.
brian.smithRZU26/10/2019 18:42

Fibreglass is the only way to go with a flat roof. I have tried pitch and …Fibreglass is the only way to go with a flat roof. I have tried pitch and Rubber, but Fibreglass will outlast the lost. The price that you have been quoted for a pitch room is ridiculous. Get a Fibreglass quote.

to be sure, to be sure lol
Fibreglass all the way.
My mate repairs kit car body’s it’s tough stuff.
He has just replaced his quadruple flat garage roof with fibreglass, coloured grey.
He said it should last at least 25 years.
I have a flat roof being done in york 2.5m x 3.5 in fibreglass. £900 includes stripping old roof, new boards etc. Quotes I had went upto £2400 so get a few and consider other options rather than felt.
Fibreglass is an interesting idea. Happy to do the toughest thing I can If I go the diy route. Do you mean something like this?

fibreglass roof kit
I have been looking into replacing our flat roof over the past few months. It's felt at the moment and leaked for the third time in 2 years. Got sick of doing small repairs so going to get the whole thing replaced. Done a lot of research, tends to be felt is cheaper and easy to repair but doesn't last as long and requires upkeep. EPDM rubber is a little dearer then felt but haven't heard many positive things. If it rips which, apparently can happen quite easy it's difficult to repair. Fibreglass is the most expensive but lasts longer and can be repaired. I will be going down the fibreglass roof however I have the guy doing the work said to wait till spring to get it done due to the use of chemicals
Another vote for fibreglass. Have had 3 roofs done with it.
Can it be done in the winter with low temps?
I think he used osb boards under the fibreglass.
It can be done in the winter but you need a different hardener.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 27th Oct
My friend bought a b&b with a very large felt roof in one section, about 8mx9m, he got loads of quotes for a fibreglass roof that came it at 4-6grand, to me that sounded like a I don't fancy doing the job price, at the time I was working in a fibreglass building company and between the 2 of us we managed to get the whole job done for about £1500, I did manage to get most of the materials for cost price to help, it wasn't that difficult to do but just make sure you plan well and wait for good weather for a couple of days, best of luck
pugit66626/10/2019 19:29

I have a flat roof being done in york 2.5m x 3.5 in fibreglass. £900 …I have a flat roof being done in york 2.5m x 3.5 in fibreglass. £900 includes stripping old roof, new boards etc. Quotes I had went upto £2400 so get a few and consider other options rather than felt.

Any chance you can point me in the direction of the person doing yours? We need a slightly bigger one doing and are not far from York, and seems you found a fair price.
pugit66626/10/2019 19:29

I have a flat roof being done in york 2.5m x 3.5 in fibreglass. £900 …I have a flat roof being done in york 2.5m x 3.5 in fibreglass. £900 includes stripping old roof, new boards etc. Quotes I had went upto £2400 so get a few and consider other options rather than felt.

Be interested in how it goes also, in York and have a flat roof on the extension. Ok at present but keeping an eye on it
SuperDan27/10/2019 01:33

Any chance you can point me in the direction of the person doing yours? We …Any chance you can point me in the direction of the person doing yours? We need a slightly bigger one doing and are not far from York, and seems you found a fair price.

Sent you a message
doncoop27/10/2019 08:43

Be interested in how it goes also, in York and have a flat roof on the …Be interested in how it goes also, in York and have a flat roof on the extension. Ok at present but keeping an eye on it

Will let you know once it’s done
Thank you everyone for all the information again! Im contemplating going the epdm route for speed and diy easiness. If it needs repairing or replacing in 5/10 years then I can just re do it again. Its such a small roof that its surprisingly inexpensive to do. Thanks again! Perhaps I’ll post a pic once its complete!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants