Flat roof replacement costs

Posted 18th Aug 2020
Hi there,

Looking to get my flat roof replaced, approx. 6m x 4m in Mid Wales. I've had a few quotes and don't know what to choose as Google tells you pros and cons for everything. Any help in choosing would be appreciated - each I can afford, I intend to be here for at least 10 years (all being well) and the property is mortgaged for background info.

Felt roof: £1.2k or £1.7k with insulation
Rubber roof: £2.6k with insulation
Fibreglass: £3.1k with insulation (may be additional timber cost)

Any help really appreciated, each of the quotes are from a different company local ish to my area. Am tempted to go fibreglass given the different isn't huge and the longevity but then again, I won't see those benefits if I move in 15 years but a good selling point I guess.

Thanks in advance!
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
We had a EPDM rubber roof fitted on our extension last May and looks good and we’ve had no problems at all not too sure on costs as it was all part of the builders quote but no quibbles this end I know it’s only a year but thought I’d comment for you
Going off of lifespan alone i'd go with Rubber or Fibreglass. I think they tend to look better than Felt as well.

It would suck if you sold your home in 15 years time just as the felt roof began to need work done!

Does the option of solar panel installation in future matter with roof type? Some may be easier to work with?
From a tradesmen’s point of view, instead of wasting their time you should make your decision then call them out. Why didn’t you ask them for their personal opinions when they were on site and get prices for each. Personally, fibreglass is the way to go
I JUST had my flat room done on the kitchen. We only moved in beginning of March and a lot of things were not on the survey including a dodgy roof.

Anyway, we Just had it done and its a little bigger than you said up above and had:

Priced to take away old and renew roof using the stronghold g.r.p roofing system (Fibreglass) with new Boards.
Replace facia and guttering with new UPVC.
Chase in lead where necessary.
Also to replace facias and guttering on dormer roof.

total was £2200. Seem to be the cheapest around by me (they are based in Graig-y-rhacca).

I was told by 3 quotes I had was to go with fibre glass as it last. The previous roof was a hotbotch of felt and rubber and it wasnt the best.

Hope that helps
sdoherty100018/08/2020 13:10

From a tradesmen’s point of view, instead of wasting their time you should …From a tradesmen’s point of view, instead of wasting their time you should make your decision then call them out. Why didn’t you ask them for their personal opinions when they were on site and get prices for each. Personally, fibreglass is the way to go

I can't really see how it's wasting their time if a trade is onsite to quote for something (a roof covering). My view is its the trades responsibility to offer the options available as they are the professional. I agree they should have made their recommendation to the OP though.
Edited by: "darlodge" 18th Aug
Are those three quotes all from one company? If so you really need to get more quotes from other companies.

Also work from recommendations where possible, family, friends, heck even the butcher or pub landlord if needed.
As said if not quotes from different companies get some more, prices can be massively different from companies. Neighbour got their rubbered last year and it was no where near that but they still thought it was expensive. We had our flat roof garage and utility room replaced with pitched 3 years ago for less than the rubber costs as well.
Thanks for for the comments.

All three quotes were from three different providers as companies are limited where I live, and have read of substantial differences in cost per application - if for example felt was £1k, rubber was £5k and fibreglass £10k then I probably wouldn't be asking the questions. As mentioned each have their own merits so came here for some advice, and I don't see it as wasting companies time as all three applications serve the same purpose ultimately.

Both rubber and fibreglass appear to be the popular choices it seems. Will flip a coin heh

Thanks all!
Hotmeal18/08/2020 14:36

Thanks for for the comments. All three quotes were from three different …Thanks for for the comments. All three quotes were from three different providers as companies are limited where I live, and have read of substantial differences in cost per application - if for example felt was £1k, rubber was £5k and fibreglass £10k then I probably wouldn't be asking the questions. As mentioned each have their own merits so came here for some advice, and I don't see it as wasting companies time as all three applications serve the same purpose ultimately.Both rubber and fibreglass appear to be the popular choices it seems. Will flip a coin heh :)Thanks all!

think about how long you will be at the house, if its long term go for the best, if its short term then the cheapest. If you want to see you out then go for fibreglass but ignore the warranty side of things.
Hotmeal18/08/2020 14:36

Thanks for for the comments. All three quotes were from three different …Thanks for for the comments. All three quotes were from three different providers as companies are limited where I live, and have read of substantial differences in cost per application - if for example felt was £1k, rubber was £5k and fibreglass £10k then I probably wouldn't be asking the questions. As mentioned each have their own merits so came here for some advice, and I don't see it as wasting companies time as all three applications serve the same purpose ultimately.Both rubber and fibreglass appear to be the popular choices it seems. Will flip a coin heh :)Thanks all!

WOW 5K. They are having a laugh.
Fibre glass is the way to go, do it once and never again. Min life span is 25 years.
Here is my friends, A bit bigger than you need doing.

41695135-s3Y4Z.jpg

This roof is a quad car garage and quite a bit more, Did not cost 5K.
He did it himself.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 18th Aug
^ He did it himself-therefore it would probably cost a lot more to be done by someone else.
bigwheels18/08/2020 15:17

WOW 5K. They are having a laugh.Fibre glass is the way to go, do it once …WOW 5K. They are having a laugh.Fibre glass is the way to go, do it once and never again. Min life span is 25 years.Here is my friends, A bit bigger than you need doing.[Image] This roof is a quad car garage and quite a bit more, Did not cost 5K.He did it himself.

What were the cost in materials and how many hours of labour?

This would likely help the OP figure out if the £5K really is overpriced.
The fibreglass quote was £3.1k including insulation
Many a year ago I had 3 roofs done on a dormer in fibreglass. One reason was the inaccessibility of the topmost flat roof, hard to inspect or maintain. The natural colour was a pale green which I though would be good to keep the roof cool. When it went on, the ridge you could see from ground level looked awful so I had just the ridge painted in grey. It was a good job. More recently I had one done on another house - loft extension - and it seems to be noisy when the sun hits it in the morning.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 18th Aug
HellRazer18/08/2020 16:06

What were the cost in materials and how many hours of labour?This would …What were the cost in materials and how many hours of labour?This would likely help the OP figure out if the £5K really is overpriced.

He is at work so cant ask, New roof board 1 days work, fibre glass 1 days work. Paint with mop 2 hours.
Material, wood dont know resin and fibre glass £400 from memory. Not sure
bigwheels18/08/2020 16:20

He is at work so cant ask, New roof board 1 days work, fibre glass 1 days …He is at work so cant ask, New roof board 1 days work, fibre glass 1 days work. Paint with mop 2 hours.Material, wood dont know resin and fibre glass £400 from memory. Not sure

Defo not something I could do myself. I can barely make a sandwich.
What about a pitched tiled roof it will last a life time ?
Hotmeal18/08/2020 16:28

Defo not something I could do myself. I can barely make a sandwich. …Defo not something I could do myself. I can barely make a sandwich.

Fair point, All I did was go for this pass me that etc.
What are the different types of flat roofs available? Looking for one for a small utility room (roof is approx 3m x1.5m) that has a non building reg approved slate roof, yes, slate on a virtually flat roof. Don't ask how horrific it has been!

Looking for the cheapest that'll allow us to put a ladder on it if we need to get access to first floor roof.

Ta
Edited by: "Gollywood" 18th Aug
Hotmeal18/08/2020 16:11

The fibreglass quote was £3.1k including insulation

We had ours fibreglassed for a similar size for £1500.
Had a Firestone Rubber roof on a new large extension 12 years ago when it was quite a rare thing on a domestic building. Still as good as new. There's a reason why these are used on commercial buildings. Just be aware that they need expert installation. Should be good for 25 years.
Gollywood18/08/2020 17:14

What are the different types of flat roofs available? Looking for one for …What are the different types of flat roofs available? Looking for one for a small utility room (roof is approx 3m x1.5m) that has a non building reg approved slate roof, yes, slate on a virtually flat roof. Don't ask how horrific it has been!Looking for the cheapest that'll allow us to put a ladder on it if we need to get access to first floor roof.Ta

From what I understand, you wouldn't want to be putting a ladder on a felt or rubber roof unless there's something beneath it. Especially on a hot day as they could get perforated. Fibreglass I believe I much more sturdy and would suit this more.

I'm no professional but that's what I've read on some sites I've been looking at.
Hotmeal19/08/2020 16:29

From what I understand, you wouldn't want to be putting a ladder on a felt …From what I understand, you wouldn't want to be putting a ladder on a felt or rubber roof unless there's something beneath it. Especially on a hot day as they could get perforated. Fibreglass I believe I much more sturdy and would suit this more.I'm no professional but that's what I've read on some sites I've been looking at.

Thanks for that
Post a comment
@
    Text