Flat screen tv aerial connection snapped

Posted 22nd Sep
hi all
i have a small 22 inch tv with built in freeview and dvd player.
it has been running off an internal aerial.
unfortunately the hubby dropped the aerial and it has ripped out the aerial port from the actual tv set. is there a way i can buy a converter that will feed the coaxial aerial into a converter box that can then be sent from a hdmi cable into the back of the tv bypassing the aerial port?

thank you
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
You would need somesort of Freeview box as even tho you can get an aerial to hdmi converter
The Freeview on your TV only works with aerial
1Eye22/09/2019 19:58

You would need somesort of Freeview box as even tho you can get an aerial …You would need somesort of Freeview box as even tho you can get an aerial to hdmi converterThe Freeview on your TV only works with aerial

Wouldnt the aerial still be detected through the convertor box
No the only input to your TV Freeview is with the aerial socket
Freeview will only scan for channels though an aerial
If you connect aerial through hdmi the tv will not recognise it's an aerial.
The only way you can go through hdmi is with a Freeview box of some sort.
aerial has to go to a reciever. if it can't go to the reciever in the tv it has to go to another reciever. had a similar issue with one of our old tvs where the reciever inside the tv went wrong and we bypassed it with a now tv box that had built in freeview (its the black box with the blue now tv logo, other now tv boxes dont have freeview).
HDMI carries a single video stream compared to the hundreds on the aerial connection. It doesn't make any sense to talk about a converter because even if you could put the data through an HDMI connection the TV would have no facilities to handle it, it doesn't know how to select a channel on an HDMI input.

The only box that'll do the job is a TV tuner box, such as a freeview box.
Ok thank you
Would it be possible to change the aerial port if the tv was taken apart?
Think a picture WILL help us, help you...
I will add one later. The silver bit that comes out of the back of the tv has sheered off.
lynsaydyson23/09/2019 01:24

Ok thank youWould it be possible to change the aerial port if the tv was …Ok thank youWould it be possible to change the aerial port if the tv was taken apart?

Yes, you would just need to remove the back casing from the TV and then take out the old female RF socket and replace it with another one. You might need a soldering iron but it shouldn't be a complicated job.
If I understand you correctly, the RF socket on the TV has broken off/out. This is the signal connector to the built-in tuner of the TV. Without that connection, the tuner cannot receive a broadcast signal = no picture.

You are correct in thinking that you can still use the TV as a "monitor" for another external box (i.e. Freeview/Freesat/Digibox) to act as a tuner. You can plug the aerial into the external box, then Scart or better HDMI cable to the TV. The only downfall of course is another box that has to be turned on so the TV can receive a broadcast but digiboxes can be very small now. Pick up a digibox from a charity shop for a minuscule amount and you'll be up and running again.

Alternatively, if you are technically minded you can do a "hard" fix yourself as already suggested by soldering in a new connector. If you are not, don't just go poking around in the back of the TV as there are components that can store an electrical charge enough to give you a serious shock and in some cases even kill!

Kind regards, Phsy.
Thank you. Hubby booked it in to be fixed in the end.
lynsaydyson25/09/2019 05:31

Thank you. Hubby booked it in to be fixed in the end.

Really? I would be quite interested to hear how much that costs. Did you find a local independent person, or a shop that does TV repairs? Did they quote you first? I would hate to hear you have been taken advantage of as a simple Freeview box would be mere pennies and even another (used) TV wouldn't be that much...

I thought the whole point of you post; in all honesty; was to AVOID the cost of a repair as (usually) it isn't economically viable. Small TV's like this are 'ten-a-penny' on Gumtree or charity shops. Incidentally, I have a 22" TV/DVD in my loft that I picked up for £10 as a portable 'test' unit for installs. I have even purchased a 32" Panny for £1. Yes, £1.00!

I'm not trying to intentionally come over as 'clever' but I'm just saying - bargains are out there if you look for them.

Kind regards, Phsy.
Well the hubby got it fixed same day for £38. I only got it a few weeks ago off gumtree. Certainly havent seen anything for digital box or tv for £1 in my area.
lynsaydyson28/09/2019 22:57

Well the hubby got it fixed same day for £38. I only got it a few weeks …Well the hubby got it fixed same day for £38. I only got it a few weeks ago off gumtree. Certainly havent seen anything for digital box or tv for £1 in my area.

Hi lynsaydyson. Hope you are well. I only just saw your comment. That certainly doesn't sound like a 'rip-off' price at all so I'd say you did well (or the hubby did!) there. Yes, the TV I picked up was a person who was giving it away but on the ad they had to put something so put £1. It was an even bigger bargain than I first thought as it was advertised as a 26" and turned out to be a 32" TV! well chuffed, I was.

Digiboxes are pretty much the giveaway item now in a lot of charity shops. Saw a nice little unobtrusive one at the weekend for £1.50 - with remote, manual and even a scart lead! Old tech, I know but it would still get you the digital channels on an old TV if needed. To be honest, you could pick up a 'new' one for less than a tenner these days with a bit of searching - i.e. eBay/Amazon etc.

Anyway, thanks for posting the update. I love hearing when people have been successful with an issue. Bit OCD maybe but it just ties off a loose end! Haha.

Best wishes, Phsy.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants